Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If she's not playing a Vampire, I'll be kinda surprised.

I wonder if this might be a breakout for her; Goth has been burning up the screen with those Ty West films (and I believe similar in Infinity Pool), I'd wondered if she might get a chance to dabble in the mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Agree with this.

I'd add that I think another reason they're spreading out the Avengers movies is to give some cover and story growth for individual heroes.

There is no current evidence that the Avengers are active. Everyone is off doing their own thing which allows them to tell individual hero stories.

If the Avengers are an active combined team then it explains why X hero doesn't just call them when they are in trouble or why they aren't actively monitoring events and turn up quickly when there is a threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I think going forward, "Avengers" is less about an actual team, and more about "Avengers-level threat" which requires everyone to come together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Weren't "The Avengers" an official Tony Stark private funded operation? I can't remember that far back, and how it shook out.

I recall Stark's Ultron bots with the Avengers logo, before that all went to crap (crazy how AI has just got completely forgotten in the MCU). While their compound that lasted up til EndGame, that was a Stark complex too, right? So presumably The Avengers stopped officially existing upon his death, though obviously wills and testaments aren't gonna figure in the MCU anytime soon lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

1. It doesn't really make sense. The Avengers was a SHIELD initiative which Stark was originally rejected from as we learn in IM2 yet in CA&TWS we learn that Stark was paying their wages (which raises a whole heap of questions) and I think it is mentioned that they were officially disbanded. Sure who's left of the "official" roster, Falcon Cap, Thor, and Hulk? The others are dead/retired and everyone else just fought with them in the final battle but weren't really Avengers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Ignore the bullet point 😂

I'm sure Pepper would have no issue funding the Avengers in Tony's memory, probably even with T'Challa/Shuri throwing in a fair few bob too. Money would never be an issue for them. Maybe it just comes down more to Tony, Steve & Natasha are gone, Thor went off-world, and Hawkeye retired. Vision was also killed and the events of Wandavision seem to have started just a few months after Endgame so she was gone fairly quickly too.

So out of actual official "Avengers", you only really had Hulk, War Machine and Falcon. I guess maybe Doctor Strange, Spider-Man and Ant-Man as well, but they were never really Avengers before the events of Endgame. It's not far off becoming a case of The Ship of Theseus (or Trigger's brush from Only Fools And Horses). If you replace all the Avengers, are they still the Avengers?

That said, Ant-Man seems to have been publicising himself as an Avenger, and Kamala Khan asks Nick Fury in The Marvels trailer if it's an Avengers test (plus going to AvengersCon in her show), so maybe there is still an existing Avengers team. Wong consults with Bruce and Carol about Shang-Chi's rings as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,197 ✭✭✭✭flazio

No, they were always Fury's "Stupid Secret Boy Band", getting the name Avengers from Carol Danvers Air Force nickname. SHIELD funded them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭kerplun k

That’s a great trailer and first time in a long while that I’ve seen a bit of a swagger in something MCU related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'd say it's inevitable.

The reaction on social media has been comical since this news dropped. People are either gleefully celebrating a career being finished, or angrily pointing at Ezra Miller as a bigger monster.

Majors fucked up badly. He should still be able to work as long as all parties involved are willing. I don't blame Marvel either for getting rid, but there's a balanced view somewhere that will be lost in all the social media bullshit.

not got into it, so would just say he is innocent until proven guilty , but Marvel and the rest have created their own standards so its on them.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The Guardians movie is tracking lower than the second , maybe too early to mean much but given that Guardians is seen as slightly stand alone compared to normal Marvel movies if it does relatively badly wont be a good sign for Marvel overall. I kinda had the impression it was the one Marvel movie people were really looking forward too

I'm sure Marvel's recent output has softened a lot of people on the MCU, but even if the opening isn't as strong I'd expect reviews would help ensure it doesn't have the drop-off that recent MCU films have had. Depending on if the reviews are positive of course.

Last time we saw them was in the holiday special, and while that was fine and enjoyable, it was a bit middling. Add to that their appearance in the disappointing Love and Thunder and the forgettable Groot shorts and the spark has gone out somewhat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,905 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah the MCU has had far too many duds for any movie to really come out swinging now. The standard has really slipped dramatically.

They're nearly all coming out swinging, they just don't have the legs - Quantumania opened far bigger than the other movies in the series but fell off quickly.

Tracking at this stage has very little weight, there is a huge range in estimates. MCU has a history of beating the final estimates (all recent ones have) - forget about estimates weeks out, when advertising hasn't even really started.

I'm hopeful for The Marvels. Ms Marvel was a pleasant surprise of a series and hopefully Nia DaCosta gives Iman Vellani the chance she deserves.

I'm not looking to be wowed anymore, just pleasantly entertained, and the initial trailer for The Marvels looks like a lot of fun.

I noticed that Marvel have revealed the digital home release date for Quantummania but not the Disney+ streaming date. Interesting change of tact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

More accusations....I would say Majors might have to be recast...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

He's got no chance of being Kang anymore.

When the news first broke his Marvel future was up in the air like maybe, maybe he could have slipped past it. But not now.

Here's a question tho let's say he's getting recast and knowing marvel movies are shot way in advance to allow cgi, what movies has he completed that his scenes would need to be reshot?

• Advertisement

He's meant to be making appearances throughout Loki Season 2 at least, that's already been filmed. Hard to know what else he might be in, maybe post-credits scenes for the likes of The Marvels. I think they're still early enough in pre-production or filming all the other films after that so they can probably re-shoot for those. Even then he was probably unlikely to be a big factor of Cap 4 or Thunderbolts, again maybe just post-credits scene.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just on that last note, Marvel movies actually have pretty short post-production periods relative to the amount of effects involved. It's often only a year or less between filming wrapping and the film releasing (the new Captain America is still shooting, for example, even though it's due out next May). It's a big part of the reason we've seen so many accusations that Marvel VFX teams are working to unrealistic deadlines. It's only recently a few of their films have been delayed to give more time for post.

Going by Variety's report, Majors has completed work on Loki season 2 but that could be it. The two Avengers films are still a ways out from shooting it would seem - Variety reports filming isn't starting until Spring 2024.

It's a tricky one, on one hand they don't want another OJ Simpson on their books, but on the other, they don't want a Johnny Depp situation. For now they have to push on because Majors has the right to the presumption of innocence. If Marvel drop him now and he doesn't get prosecuted, then they are in for an expensive day in court.

I guess JM isnt as well known as Depp, any new Pirates film without Depp will be a disaster.

I'd say it's not even just being less well known, but not as integral a part of the franchise. Majors has been in Quantumania and one existing and a few upcoming episodes of Loki. He's easily replaceable at this stage.

Depp had already been the leading star and character of about 4-5 Pirates films when the accusations first started from Heard. Replacing him could only really be a full reboot of the franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m certain that it had been mentioned in a recent movie or series that there is no Avengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

He has been dropped by his management agency, and removed from the cast of at least one upcoming film and two. Ad campaigns have been held back.

Marvel seem to be the only one that hasn’t done or said anything about it. I’m guessing he simply isn’t scheduled to work on anything at the moment or they following “innocent until proven guilty” and they probably have far more information than has been revealed to the public - maybe the man is not guilty of what he is accused of.

Maybe he isn’t a violent person and there is more to the incident. Like he was defending himself.

Marvel have zero to gain from moving too quickly on this. They've been bitten by doing it with Gunn during his issues, though very different.

They'll take their time and won't move until they have a plan.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Do marvel have autonomy from Disney? Isn’t it Disney that ultimately call the shots on all their franchises?

• Advertisement

Something I hadn't heard until recently was that at the end of last year, Mohan Kapoor, the actor playing Kamala's dad, Yusef Kahn, in Ms Marvel and The Marvels was accused of sending a lewd photograph to a teenager. A Google search of his name brings up a couple of articles from last year in the news tab but nothing since. Must be getting dealt with privately, and he's still features in the trailer.

Advertisement