Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,905 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The last one was about a decade ago so doubt it'd be connected to the recent change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Why is Don Cheadle complaining that he isn’t in the Blank Panther movies?

It doesn’t seem to be about a pay check but his comments don’t include his reasons why he should be in the films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,109 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Yeah, Rhoades in front of that commitee seemed very odd. Almost like he was trying to antagonize them. Almost like he wasn't himself. If it doesn't turn out that he is a Skrull... his character was acting very oddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Enjoying Secret invasion so far. Apart from it looking a bit cheap, the story is decent and well acted. I’m convinced it’s gonna end with Fury finding tech that can identify Skrulls, he puts on a pair of glasses and boom, Skrulls f**king everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,197 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Enough is enough, I've had it with these Monkey Fighting Skrulls on this Monday to Friday plane. Now Where. Is. My. Super. Suit???😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this artwork was getting a bit of ridicule

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

that.... can't be official? That is TERRIBLE.

Even to the point of - why are 2 of them posing and the other is walking towards the 'camera'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not even remotely the worst Hollywood poster I've seen in the last 20-30 years. In fact they're generally so terrible across the board, am not seeing anything especially unique here that separates it from the baseline?

Hollywood posters and promotional art hasn't been "good" since ... ... uhhhh, I dunno; I suppose the era of custom art-work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah it's about as bland as most other promo posters. I don't think it's supposed to convey any kind of consistency in their poses, it's just "Here's the three leads".

In fairness though, the earlier poster for it was actually pretty great

To be honest my biggest issue is the clearer look at Ms.Marvel's new outfit. It's just completely over-designed and didn't need to be changed from her TV show. Cap.Marvel's outfit in comparison looks great though. Photon.... I'm a bit ambivalent on. Verging on over-designed, but the colours are simplistic enough that it gets away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I keep seeing Spider-Man (Woman) when I look at Photon's costume TBH; the lines along her legs and torso kinda give off that Spidey vibe?

But yeah just don't see why it'd deserve more ridicule than the usual "character's posing" style of modern digital promotion?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH it doesn’t even look like a poster to me, just looks like a random social media asset?

this is where I saw it originally , links to an article from The Direct, whoever they are- but their twitter account has 1.3m

seems to be a variant of it selling pens (why its tagged with sensitive lord knows)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

It's almost definitely from Marvel, but just that it's more of a promotional image than actual "film poster". It does look slightly better with Cap.Marvel in the middle from those above images though. More centered and grouped, the two behind in more action poses while CM just standing/walking. Though heights/waist level is still off.

But yeah, it's something just thrown together as promotional material, maybe film standees, rather than an actual film poster I'd say.

We'll have to wait and see if perhaps there's an in story reason for Kamala's new costume. She is seen wearing her (perfect) TV show version in the trailer and she was wearing it in a cruise ship interactive dinner video.

Interesting that in the first photo Kamala is placed centre with Monica and Carol flanking her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Poster aside, the trailer was excellent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Are people really complaining about a movie poster? 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Methinks anything and everything will be used against this movie before and after it comes out. I'll leave you to figure out why.

• Advertisement

Brie Larson is perceived to be Amber Heard's best friend or something like that, or at the very least, is willing to treat her humanely.

Plus you have a black woman on one side and a Muslim daughter of immigrants on the other.

Now for the record, I personally don't have any problem with any of those ladies, I'm quite excited to see what Iman Vellani brings, Ms Marvel was an excellent fun series. Still need to see a bit more of Monica Rambeau to make my mind about her, and like with Jodie Whitaker's stint as The Doctor on Doctor Who, the problem wasn't Brie Larson, the problem was the writing.

Larson was a figure of hate before the Amber Heard stuff too, basically a totem for online agitation of the ilk that has become typical with female led pop culture. I don't especially like Larson myself and think she's a charisma vacuum and a bit "Hollywood" of the type South Park love to attack; but I'm not surprised Cpt Marvel 2 is attracting the same bad energy online. The last time was bad enough Rotten Tomatoes had to change its logic!

It was well known and extensively reported that Brie Larson and the CM movie were being targeted by review bombers and the usual harassment, largely due to comments Larson made about the lack of diversity in Marvel (not just in front of the camera but behind the camera) and the media, press junkets etc. I mean let's face it, it was the 20th Marvel movie before a female superhero was even named in the title of a movie (Ant-Man and The Wasp), and even then it was a sequel to Ant-Man and predominantly about Ant-Man, even though historically it's The Wasp who is one of the founding members of The Avengers. It was the 21st Marvel movie before there was just a solo female superhero Marvel movie. Then you had people complaining about the original posters and trailers for Captain Marvel saying she didn't smile enough, leading Larson to post images of other Marvel posters but with fake smiles on the male superheroes, which again riled up the moaners.

Now obviously, Marvel has never really had a Wonder Woman type of character who is so well known, and the rest of the Marvel films had a lot of brilliant female characters/heroes, but it doesn't really negate the point either.

Not trying to take the thread down that sort of rabbithole, but nobody who has been paying attention the what's been going on with the Marvel movies for the past 5-6 years can claim ignorance about the lies and hate being directed at Brie Larson and Captain Marvel due to Internet trolls dislike of Brie Larson, people who try claiming Captain Marvel bombed (made over 1bn) or was the worst Marvel movie (not a great Marvel movie, but nowhere near the worst either).

So yeah, a sequel, which now also stars a black female hero and a Muslim female hero, and a mixed-race female antagonist... the trolls will definitely be out in force.

the studio doesnt have faith in Larson , they are not making Captain Marvel 2 , so they already gave her a demotion, plus this film has problems , it tested poorly and they had to do reshoots either in late 22 or early 23 hence the film being put back and was probably caught up in the VFX delays, the film doesnt inspire confidence. Wonder Woman doesnt get this grief so its not about female leads, it could be that writers cant write good female leads unless they have a solid lore they know they cant deviate from

Do you think when DC made Batman V Superman it was because they didn't have faith in Cavill, hence why they didn't just make it Man Of Steel 2?

Captain America Civil War featured half the Marvel cast, but it was still called Captain America because the story was ultimately still a Captain America story. Thor Ragnarok was a buddy comedy with Hulk but it was still called Thor because the central story was still mostly about Thor.

The Marvels is so called because it's likely to be a film about the 3 main characters, but not about one in particular. It's designed to be a team-up movie. That doesn't mean they've lost faith in Brie Larson.

Not saying the film hasn't had its problems. Hell most of the Marvel movies over the last few years have. They reshot an entirely new ending to Quantumania about a month before release if I remember right. Doesn't mean they've lost faith in Paul Rudd though (not to mention his sequel was Ant-Man and The Wasp instead of Ant-Man 2).

I believe nearly every latter-day MCU has had reshoots; the term has lost all meaning 'cos it's just part of the somewhat ad-hoc nature of MCU production. When everything's green screen it's relatively trivial to just tweak or amend. But of course you'll have outlets latching onto this as indicative of some discontent in the studio, because "X has reshoots" has historically meant something more reactionary or panic-based.

Maybe silverharp you should step back and watch some movies; you seem quite focused on box office (under)performance, bombs and general negative reaction to blockbusters. Go watch Paddington 2 or something, think you need to enjoy a good movie or two 🤣

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You mean the Julia Carpenter one? The one Venom is based off? Because I can see it

"Reshoots" has definitely become somewhat of a dirty word given some huge films which have had significant production trouble (not just Marvel, but DC and even Star Wars, especially Rogue One). Oftentimes reshoots are just a case where in editing they decide a scene is too long or isn't needed, but there's a key bit of info in it so they need to slot it into another scene instead. Or they think a bit of info is required earlier/later etc.

I think a big part of why The Marvels was delayed was as much down to CGI/VFX than anything. Especially after Quantumania which looked awful. I think they realised they needed to give more time to the visuals, and with other films like Blade being pushed back anyway it was best to delay The Marvels.

It could be that the movie ends up bombing. Absolutely wouldn't surprise me. Again, Marvel as a whole have been struggling with issues which go far deeper than "people don't like Brie Larson". So even if the film bombs, doesn't mean it's Larson's fault or Marvel have lost faith in her. It's far too early to judge something like that, but even then there is an inherent bias against Larson which has percolated through the Internet over the years because of comments she's made about lack of diversity, pro-feminism etc which has made her a target regardless of her (oscar-winning) acting ability.

It's impossible to deny that there's a angry-YouTube-man driven irrational hatred against Brie Larson and anything she's involved with - like weirdo creeps making dozens if not hundreds of videos giving out about every single thing she does.

I have no idea whether the film will be good - I'm cautiously intrigued since Nia DaCosta is directing and she's been admirably frank about how she perceives the MCU. I liked Ms Marvel and didn't like Captain Marvel. But yes, no doubt this film will be receiving particular ire from a particular very online subset, regardless of final quality.

• Advertisement

ah here, dont be trying to shame posters on this forum , you think movies exist outside of financials?, as such its just a gauge of how many people are prepared to part with their cash. Surely its an interesting topic as it will determine how many of a particular type of film you would expect to see in the future

Advertisement