Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

In that interview Sam said he never wants to stop playing Nick Fury so I presume it's just a formality of signing a new contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,630 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Casts
    Drea de Matteo as Karla Faye Gideon
    who is also a minor supporting character in Daredevil comics.

Linking the MCU.

Spoiler link

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Get ready for a long ass 2nd Avengers movies, the running time is supposedly going to be 2 hours & 40 minutes.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2015/02/avengers-age-of-ultron-rumored-at-160-minutes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Excellent, i was sickened when the first one finished so quick.

Any chance Marvel would go with Jessica Drew instead of Peter Paker to change it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Any chance Marvel would go with Jessica Drew instead of Peter Paker to change it up.

No it's spiderMAN not spiderLADY and that is a scientific fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sirsok wrote: »
    No it's spiderMAN not spiderLADY and that is a scientific fact!

Haha even read that in Champ's voice!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Think Spider-Woman would be less likely than Morales, kinda negates coming to a deal with Sony.

Only chance of seeing her is in a Bendis directed film where the Avengers consist of Spider-Woman, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones...and the Hood is the villain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Think Spider-Woman would be less likely than Morales, kinda negates coming to a deal with Sony.

Only chance of seeing her is in a Bendis directed film where the Avengers consist of Spider-Woman, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones...and the Hood is the villain.

Let's pray that never happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Let's pray that never happens.

Well, so long as he doesn't write it anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Sounds like a good option. Downey wasn't going to be able to go forever and it'd be weird to recast him. Keeping him on in a smaller role (like Jackson perhaps) would keep him in the universe and let the Iron Man story continue naturally by introducing a new character to take on the role under Stark's guidance.

Does anyone think that once Marvel have rode this wave to the biggest baddest show down with all the heroes... that they'll reset and a start afresh? With the comics, you can keep going and going with seemingly ageless characters and crazy stories tied into a massive continuity. I don't think the movies have that same luxury. The actors age and therefore the characters have a finite number of years in them before needing to be replaced with new characters. While there are plenty of interesting characters at Marvel's disposal, none are as iconic as the ones we currently have (Cap, IM, Thor, Hulk... and now Spiderman). Recasting characters would cheapen the whole thing IMO. The Hulk kinda gets away with it cause those Hulk movies are the least important in the MCU and the Hulk itself is a CGI character. Also, the continuity can't afford to get so muddled that it will turn off casual cinema goers, so at some point it'll reach a stage where Marvel need to decide "has this universe run it's course". and hit a reset button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

As long as they're making money they could continually reboot, remake or use the alternate universe explanation.

I have always wondered what the end game was for the MCU. I think given the scope of what they have done it would be nice to see some kind of definite end to it. But I think the end of Infinity War will see some kind of universe restart/reshaping which will allow new actors to step in.

I'd say once the credits & post credits scene roll on the 2nd Infinity War film in 2019, i'd imagine a soft rebooting of several characters, nothing too major.

Marvel are leading the way in how we watch content to be honest they are embracing the future right now showing the MCU across three platforms films, tv & online who knows where this will lead by 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

I have always wondered what the end game was for the MCU. I think given the scope of what they have done it would be nice to see some kind of definite end to it. But I think the end of Infinity War will see some kind of universe restart/reshaping which will allow new actors to step in.

It's a billion dollar industry, the only end-game is if the films are no longer making a profit.

It's a billion dollar industry, the only end-game is if the films are no longer making a profit.

The Nolan/Bale Batman films were making a profit,there was a end game there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Nolan/Bale Batman films were making a profit,there was a end game there.

Yes but that Batman Trilogy was a stand alone project, DC have seen Marvel's success and have announced Justice League movies and various other DC Character Movies coming over the next 5 years.

I agree with the previous poster, there is no end game for Marvel, they will continue making movies as long as people keep going to them.

I imagine right now they have an end game in place for Phase 3. And once phase 4 kicks off they'll delevop an end game for that and so on until the cash cow dries up.

Loughc wrote: »
    Yes but that Batman Trilogy was a stand alone project, DC have seen Marvel's success and have announced Justice League movies and various other DC Character Movies coming over the next 5 years.

I agree with the previous poster, there is no end game for Marvel, they will continue making movies as long as people keep going to them.

I imagine right now they have an end game in place for Phase 3. And once phase 4 kicks off they'll delevop an end game for that and so on until the cash cow dries up.

I agree that they will keep making movies but I mean for this specific batch of movies. The whole Marvel approach comes straight from their comics with a group of single movies slightly connected coming together for a big crossover but they are facing problems that they don't face in the comics such as the actors getting older. So when Robert Downey Jr. is too old to play Iron man any more do they recast him, closely followed by replacing all the other main actors or will they wrap up all the the movies with a definitive ending and have a universe wide reboot?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I agree that they will keep making movies but I mean for this specific batch of movies. The whole Marvel approach comes straight from their comics with a group of single movies slightly connected coming together for a big crossover but they are facing problems that they don't face in the comics such as the actors getting older. So when Robert Downey Jr. is too old to play Iron man any more do they recast him, closely followed by replacing all the other main actors or will they wrap up all the the movies with a definitive ending and have a universe wide reboot?

I wouldn't have a problem with them recasting certain characters further down the line, they'd probably be delighted if the Avengers ended up being a staple much like Bond is now. That's kind of what happened with Batman to a certain extent, or at least looked like what WB were going for until B&R almost killed the franchise.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I wouldn't have a problem with them recasting certain characters further down the line, they'd probably be delighted if the Avengers ended up being a staple much like Bond is now. That's kind of what happened with Batman to a certain extent, or at least looked like what WB were going for until B&R almost killed the franchise.

I think the universe would work a lot better if it was like Batman and Bond where each cast and the continuity lasts for around 3 movies before a new one steps in, just as long as they don't rehash an origin every third movie.

But Marvel have put so much effort into each phase that it looks like they are building an ongoing continuity, which I think will create problems with recasting actors especially when some like Downey Jr. and Jackson are iconic. It was also result in people having to check out more movies to keep up to date.

Like I said, it's more just of interest to me which option they go with. I'm a big fan of the massive comic continuity built up over the years but don't think it would work on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I'd say it would be like a football team

Each new Season/Phase new players/stars are introduced,

The Avengers introduced The Hulk and Hawkeye. (I know Nortons Hulk but stay with me)

The next Season Ulton introduces.

Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and The Vision and perhaps some Agents of Shield Cameos or the Inhumans are mentioned.

Now if they kept just adding new characters it would get very bloated.

So presumably someone will die in this one.

The older players take on the Captain Role until the new guys find there feet

The old guys retire

New Ones take the mantle and the cycle continues.

So we have it going something like this

Fury
    Stark
    Steve
    Ultron --- Civil War - Infinity War -

Fury dies in Ulton
    Stark after creating Ultron causes tension which leads him to leave the Avengers after a bust up
    Civil War Steve is killed and Bucky takes up his place
    Stark comes out of his self imposed exile for a cameo in Infinity war

At this point then we have maybe the following avengers on roster

Black Widow
    Quicksilver
    Scarlet Witch
    Quake
    Captain Marvel
    Ant Man
    Doctor Strange
    Black Panther
    New Captain America
    Stark Cameo

Hulk been sent off world and linking up guardians with earth

Thor killed in Ragnorok but warns of Thanos coming for earth

But yeah to get back on point,

A football team with new signings every year and adding them to the team when needed

Daredevil and AoS are now linked in the MCU.

https://twitter.com/Daredevil/status/568832472219127808/photo/1

Daredevil and AoS are now linked in the MCU.

https://twitter.com/Daredevil/status/568832472219127808/photo/1

Apart from them being in the same universe, what's the link? I may be missing something glaring in that tweet...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Apart from them being in the same universe, what's the link? I may be missing something glaring in that tweet...!

"Crusher" Creel is the Absorbing Man from the first couple of episodes of this season of AOS I believe.

Nice subtle way of showing that it's the same universe (not that there were any doubts)

Average-Ro wrote: »
    "Crusher" Creel is the Absorbing Man from the first couple of episodes of this season of AOS I believe.

Nice subtle way of showing that it's the same universe (not that there were any doubts)

How the hel did I miss that?!

Via RDJ's Twitter

A new Iron Man poster for Age Of Ultron, and teasing a Marvel announcement in 8 days time.

11002628_400379940130477_8568023910981607791_n.jpg?oh=5c8f5565c22908556e79bb6802e6e0a8&oe=557B509A&__gda__=1434143216_7ab0d7be72b7b071e6a90638a54a3de9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Via RDJ's Twitter

A new Iron Man poster for Age Of Ultron, and teasing a Marvel announcement in 8 days time.

11002628_400379940130477_8568023910981607791_n.jpg?oh=5c8f5565c22908556e79bb6802e6e0a8&oe=557B509A&__gda__=1434143216_7ab0d7be72b7b071e6a90638a54a3de9

I think it might have to do with him appearing in Spider-Man's stand alone movie. In the comics during the Civil War period, Stark was basically Peter Parker's mentor. Might be a way of transitioning the character as someone in the background in a few movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Spiderman might not even be Peter Parker though, a few rumblings about that.

Advertisement