Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

D'Onofrio is a great bit of casting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

While there's plenty of chat here about Agents of SHIELD's varying levels of quality, I watched the first two episodes of Agent Carter and tbh it was leaps and bounds superior to the bland offerings of SHIELD.

I suppose the shorter season helped, as with only 8 episodes there's no mucking about and consequently the pace felt sure and constant. It also helps though that Hayley Atwell as Carter is a much more magnetic, charismatic presence than the stilted, angsty female leads in the sibling show. She also has a more direct and tangible emotional arc that helps drive her actions. A much better show so far imo and I hope it gets another series.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Considering the good word of mouth it had been getting I went back to AoS at the weekend after giving up on it around episode 8 or 9 during its terrestrial TV run. The quality really did increase after "The Bridge" episode and I have to say it's become pretty addictive. Last episode I watched was T.A.H.I.T.I. and I'm looking forward to the rest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Considering the good word of mouth it had been getting I went back to AoS at the weekend after giving up on it around episode 8 or 9 during its terrestrial TV run. The quality really did increase after "The Bridge" episode and I have to say it's become pretty addictive. Last episode I watched was T.A.H.I.T.I. and I'm looking forward to the rest.

Truthfully it never shakes off its shaky character writing, with the exception of Ward bizarrely enough. Arguably the worst character in the roster at the start becomes the most fascinating and layered - astonishing I know. What SHIELD benefits from the most is the freeing of plot points from Captain America 2 so suddenly the show has more definite and purposeful arcs to work with. Stuff happens and it matters to those within the show. But yeah, at this point Agent Carter's the better Marvel show (barring some quality plummet in later episodes)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mickeroo wrote: »

It took me a solid four months to get through the first 8 episodes of Season 1 on Netflix, I wanted to stick with it as I heard it gets better, the turnaround in quality from episode 10 on is amazing, I blasted through the rest of the season in about 4 days after taking me four months to get through the first 8 episodes.

I'm now fully up to date and eagerly awaiting the new episode on Sundays on Rté 2. It really has turned into must see tv. Hopefully the ratings will pick up in the states. It'd be just my luck the after the quality picking up, it'd get dropped by the Network, much like Dollhouse & Firefly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Loughc wrote: »
    It took me a solid four months to get through the first 8 episodes of Season 1 on Netflix, I wanted to stick with it as I heard it gets better, the turnaround in quality from episode 10 on is amazing, I blasted through the rest of the season in about 4 days after taking me four months to get through the first 8 episodes.

I'm now fully up to date and eagerly awaiting the new episode on Sundays on Rté 2. It really has turned into must see tv. Hopefully the ratings will pick up in the states. It'd be just my luck the after the quality picking up, it'd get dropped by the Network, much like Dollhouse & Firefly.

Thankfully they've for a bit more leeway with ratings and are less likely to be cancelled.

Looking forward to more inhuman stuff now next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Guys I think we should have a superhero forum all of its own now , With DC Marvel and Fox all churning out all movies and both of them making multiple TV shows too it'd definitley be worth it . Where can we make such a request , I know it has to go to a vote or something

• Registered Users Posts: 60,633 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Guys I think we should have a superhero forum all of its own now , With DC Marvel and Fox all churning out all movies and both of them making multiple TV shows too it'd definitley be worth it . Where can we make such a request , I know it has to go to a vote or something

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Here you go! great idea!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I just threw one up get behind it lads :)

• Advertisement

Is it just me or is the actor playing Lady Sif really wooden? Sucks the life out of any scene she's in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Is it just me or is the actor playing Lady Sif really wooden? Sucks the life out of any scene she's in

I think that's all the Thor characters.

They need to play off others to not seem daft.

The good parts of the first Thor were the fish out of water stuff with Thor doing utterly insane things in the real world (like smashing a coffee cup on the floor).

Even in the films she bugs me

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Thor was directed by Kenneth Branagh(Shakespearean actor), the whole smashing the cup thing would be seen as acceptable in a Shakespearean sense as it would be satirical, it was also an ancient way of saying this drink is awesome give me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The Thor characters are from a world that is still using ye olde English language but is thousands of times more advanced than Earth in weapons and science(magic), it is alien and has made contact with other alien civilizations as seen with Sif knowing the Kree guy this past week.

The bi-frost uses wormhole technology to allow Asgardians to travel between worlds. In short Thor Lady Sif and Loki are Gods in all sense of the word probably why people don't like them as they are stuck up.

Or she is just not playing it well.
    Loki is a dick but still entertaining and not wooden. Thor's friends are powerful yet play well on screen, as do the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Captain America: Civil War synopsis released, and shooting begins on April 1st
    Following the events of Age of Ultron, the collective governments of the world pass an act designed to regulate all superhuman activity. This polarizes opinion amongst the Avengers, causing two factions to side with Iron Man or Captain America, which causes an epic battle between former allies.

Basically Avengers: Civil War so

Probably a major spoiler for Civil War was also rumoured today ....
    14 year old Peter Parker in Civil War

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Not officially confirmed, but the Russo brothers will be directing Infinity War Part 1 & 2

http://comicbook.com/2015/03/23/russo-brothers-to-helm-avengers-infinity-war-1-2/

Badass Digest are saying the deal is done, with an announcement to follow soon.

http://badassdigest.com/2015/03/23/the-russo-brothers-will-definitely-direct-avengers-infinity-war/

If this is indeed true that the Russo brothers will be directing Infinity War, then they'll be kept busy for the next few years, what with Captain America: Civil War beginning shooting in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Rumours going around today that Captain Marvel has been cast and will have a cameo in AoU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Please be Emily Blunt :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Don't use twitter but apparently Matt Fraction's wife has been getting bombarded with questions about it on there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Probably a major spoiler for Civil War was also rumoured today ....
    14 year old Peter Parker in Civil War

Pity , I would've preferred an older one. It would have made a particular scene from the comic books possible.
    If they went with an older person , it would also have freed the studios from yet another origin story, and jettisoned the rubbish they wanted to not have to deal with left over from the previous movies.

horgan_p wrote: »
    Pity , I would've preferred an older one. It would have made a particular scene from the comic books possible.
    If they went with an older person , it would also have freed the studios from yet another origin story, and jettisoned the rubbish they wanted to not have to deal with left over from the previous movies.

Saw this week they were auditioning older, not sure if that's more of the Hollywood thing where you've actors in their late 20s or 30s playing teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

They don't need to do another origin story just cos he's 14 though. In Civil War, he can be just another new superhero on the scene who has his own untold stories when we see him first. Spiderman may not be established in the MCU but you can bet the audiences for Civil War will know full well who he is.

It'd be great to get a nod to Spiderman in the post-credit tease for AOU. Just doing something like that will immediately set the scene for Spiderman to exist in the MCU by the time Civil War comes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

They don't 'need' an origins story for him, per se. Strange isn't getting one for his movie, and everyone knows who bloody spiderman is.

cloud493 wrote: »
    They don't 'need' an origins story for him, per se. Strange isn't getting one for his movie, and everyone knows who bloody spiderman is.

Might work for strange, bit of the unknown and some mystery to the Sorcerer Supreme.

For Spiderman they don't need to do a whole new origin, just a brief synopsis. Spiderman saves a bank and then while eating lunch on top of a building thinks back about why he does what he does. Leave it brief so they can redo any storyline they want later later.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Bacchus wrote: »
    They don't need to do another origin story just cos he's 14 though. In Civil War, he can be just another new superhero on the scene who has his own untold stories when we see him first. Spiderman may not be established in the MCU but you can bet the audiences for Civil War will know full well who he is.

It'd be great to get a nod to Spiderman in the post-credit tease for AOU. Just doing something like that will immediately set the scene for Spiderman to exist in the MCU by the time Civil War comes around.

When we see him in Civil War at the start he is taken under Tony Stark's wing, hence the new suit.I guess it could work , it would be a bit Batman / Dick Grayson though.

I'm not that much of a purist , but that unmasking scene in Civil War influences a lot of what happens to him going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

How does Spidey tie in with the attack on new York in avengers assemble? He can't have existed when it happened so a younger spiderman would make sense

Advertisement