Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Spoiler to ongoing storyline

‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Spinoff to Follow...
    Mockingbird & Lance Hunter

Spolier link

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Joss Whedon
    “I thought the script was not only the best script that Marvel had ever had, but the most Marvel script I’d read. I had no interest in ‘Ant-Man.’ [Then] I read the script, and was like, ‘Of course! This is so good!’ It reminded me of the books when I read them. Irreverent and funny and could make what was small large, and vice versa. I don’t know where things went wrong. But I was very sad. Because I thought, ‘This is a no-brainer. This is Marvel getting it exactly right.’ Whatever dissonance that came, whatever it was, I don’t understand why it was bigger than a marriage that seemed so right. But I’m not going to say it was definitely all Marvel, or Edgar’s gone mad! I felt like they would complement each other by the ways that they were different. And, uh, somethin’ happened.”

http://screenrant.com/joss-whedon-edgar-wright-ant-man-script/

This part stands out for me.
    While we may never know what exactly led to the split, we do know that Feige and the Marvel brass may have felt the film’s action sequences weren’t up to level of their current output, so part of Adam McKay and Paul Rudd’s mission was to write in “bigger, more aggressive” action setpieces.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Someone over on the Avengers thread brought up retcons , and i think its better suited to this thread.

I think that with the comic books , the writers can write to a segment of the market. And they don't need to suit everyone. For instance , I read some X-men titles every month. Not all of them. So I can , to a point ,disregard their storylines.
    With the movies , they cost so much more to create , they need to get all the marvel fans in to cover costs.

Example - Punisher is dark and gritty. But to make the money back you need to cover a lot more demographics other than the people who buy the books.
    I don't know what the circulation of an average Marvel book is , but I'm sure you need to sell WAY more cinema tickets than that number.

So while you can have Wanda be in Avengers 2 , you need to explain her powers in a way that doesn't alienate half the audience , people will get that she's a witch. They wont follow that she can alter reality to her will.

I couldn't see for instance anyone making a House of M movie. hope to god I'm wrong , but I couldn't see it. the mythology is too convoluted. marvel themselves know this , hence the secret war "soft reboot" happening this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

So going by the final scene in AoU and what we know of upcoming films and current contracts the Avengers lineup in Infinity War is looking something like this
    Cap*, Widow, Iron Man, Hulk**, Thor***, Hawkeye****, Vision, War Machine, Falcon, possibly Scarlet Witch, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Dr Strange, and Ant-Man if they're successful, possibly Spider Man, and the Guardians might also show up at some stage

I don't know how much people know about upcoming casting or contract situations so I'll just spoiler all this as well, just to be safe.

I think Evan's contract is up after CW and I think we could be looking at a Bucky Cap

I presume Ruffalo has signed a multi-film deal

I don't know what the story is with Hemsworth's contract

I know he's been confirmed for CW this but will he survive, he's definitely the most expendable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Chris Evans and Hemsworth are all contracted up to the end of Infinity War with Evans even saying he'd be open to keep going after that

• Advertisement

Did anyone else read that thing about how Kevin Feige has an absolute obsession with Star Wars and, as such, almost every movie has a scene in which somebody's arm gets cut off?

http://www.geek.com/news/marvel-pays-homage-to-star-wars-by-cutting-off-hands-in-every-movie-1621264/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Surely Downey will stay to the end of civil war, at least. Wouldn't be surprised if he stayed for infinity war too.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Surely Downey will stay to the end of civil war, at least. Wouldn't be surprised if he stayed for infinity war too.

AFAIK he's contracted for Infinity Wars

I'm a bit confused as to how Civil War is going to work when none of the Avengers we've seen so far have secret identities. Hawkeye is the only one who has a secret in his family but he's already a registered SHIELD agent and it's not like he wears a mask.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused as to how Civil War is going to work when none of the Avengers we've seen so far have secret identities. Hawkeye is the only one who has a secret in his family but he's already a registered SHIELD agent and it's not like he wears a mask.

Rather than registering your identity they make go with the government control aspect with Tony for and Cap against.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    Rather than registering your identity they make go with the government control aspect with Tony for and Cap against.

Given what we've seen so far I still think that will be a fairly strong turnaround for Tony. Be interesting to see how they justify it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Given what we've seen so far I still think that will be a fairly strong turnaround for Tony. Be interesting to see how they justify it.

It's not really we've seen since the battle of New York Tony is afraid of not being able to protect everyone, what if the government can convince him to work for them and help protect earth by giving him all the resources and help
    he needs.

In return he becomes the poster boy for the registration act.

And of course following on from SHIELD falling apart at the hands of Hydra a registration act would be needed to make sure everyone is on the right side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Judging by Chris Evan's latest tweet, filming for CW is about to begin.

https://twitter.com/ChrisEvans/status/592678356497358852

• Registered Users Posts: 86,483 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Daniel Brühl is playing Baron Helmut Zemo in Captain America Civil War and Doctor Strange

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The next Spider-Man movie may be called Spider-Man: The New Avenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I know it's miles away yet, but Chris Evans has said that Avengers Infinity War 1 & 2 will begin shooting in late 2016, and will go for 9 months.

http://collider.com/avengers-3-infinity-war-shooting-schedule/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I thought at the end of Iron Man 3 Tony stark was retiring from being Iron Man but in Age of Ultron he just comes back in the first scene.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I thought at the end of Iron Man 3 Tony stark was retiring from being Iron Man but in Age of Ultron he just comes back in the first scene.

But that scene ends with him saying 'I will always be iron man'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Folling from this in the AOU thread regarding Thanos:
    He appeared after the 1st movie aswell he's been coming for a long time , I just hope they do him some proper justice,

This is a character who wiped out half the universe with a click of a finger in the comics when he was the infinity gauntlet

How do you think they are going to show Thanos relationship with Death as his motivation to kill everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

PTH2009 wrote: »

That wasn't the point. The whole film was about him realising that Iron Man isn't the suit. He is Iron Man. He was worrying about what if his suits aren't enough to protect him, Pepper and even the world. But he realised that he's powerful even without the suit, due to his intellect etc.

He gives up the arc reactor and destroys all the suits he'd built because he doesn't need them to be Iron Man. He is Iron Man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Bad Horse wrote: »
    That wasn't the point. The whole film was about him realising that Iron Man isn't the suit. He is Iron Man. He was worrying about what if his suits aren't enough to protect him, Pepper and even the world. But he realised that he's powerful even without the suit, due to his intellect etc.

He gives up the arc reactor and destroys all the suits he'd built because he doesn't need them to be Iron Man. He is Iron Man.

So he doesn't need all the suits to protect everyone, but AGE OF ULTON SPOILER:
    he needs the iron legion and Ultron to protect everyone because he isn't able to protect everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

cronin_j wrote: »

How do you think they are going to show Thanos relationship with Death as his motivation to kill everything?

I started reading Infinity Gauntlet this morning, really struggling with the cheesiness of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

he needs the iron legion and Ultron to protect everyone because he isn't able to protect everyone?

In IM3 he was obsessively making suits to cover his own feelings of inadequacy. At the end he realised that the suits weren't Iron Man, he was. They were nothing more than a tool that he uses.

In AoU the Iron Legion was part of his new (and under developed, storywise) obsession with protecting the world. Even though he was comfortable with his role in the world, he knew that he had no way of protecting everyone everywhere. That's where the Iron Legion came in, to stand as backup and take care of the jobs he couldn't focus on.

Captain America Civil War cast

Chris Evans as Captain America
    Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow
    Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man
    Anthony Mackie as Falcon
    Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye
    Frank Grillo as Crossbones
    Daniel Brühl as Baron Zemo
    Sebastian Stan as Winter Soldier
    Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch
    Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther
    Spider-Man...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hope the new Daredevil gets a part in it, he'd fit right in on Cap's side. Also no Banner, I guess he has taken off to
    Planet Hulk
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

It really does just look like Avengers 3
    particularly considering the new look Avengers at the end of Age of Ultron
    . Hopefully though it'll be nice side story away from the Thanos stuff that is dominating the series more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's not that he doesn't need the suits, it's that he is Iron Man, not the suits. He's the mechanic. The inventor. Even without the suit and his billions of dollars he can come up with stuff, like he did when breaking into the Mandarin's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Captain America Civil War cast

Chris Evans as Captain America
    Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow
    Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man
    Anthony Mackie as Falcon
    Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye
    Frank Grillo as Crossbones
    Daniel Brühl as Baron Zemo
    Sebastian Stan as Winter Soldier
    Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch
    Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther
    Spider-Man...
    I wonder who which side they will all be on.
    Very hard to call, imo. Scarlet Witch with Cap along with Falcon?

I'd imagine it would be Cap, Black Widow, Falcon, Scarlet Witch on The Anti Registration side, with Tony, Black Panther, Hawkeye, Spider-Man and Matt Murdock (maybe) for the Registration Act, with Spider-Man towards the films end pulling both sides back together reminding them of why they became The Avengers in the first place.

• Advertisement

I wish they'd hurry up and announce the spiderman actor :pac: I don't think daredevil will be in the film per se, I think Murdock might get a cameo, but thats it.

Advertisement