Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Well marvel can introduce and are scheduled to introduce so many characters that can add to the universe and civil war arc, Antman, Daredevil, Dr.Strange, Scarlett Witch, Quicksilver, Blade, Ghost Rider, Namor, Luke Cage, Nova, Wasp, She Hulk, Captain Marvel, Captain Britain and Black Panther are all viable candidates to be introduced (Blade bringing a personal favourite)

This goes with character we have all ready been introduced to such as Falcon, Bucky, GOTG and War Machine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I dont think were going to know what there going to do cause i didnt read too many reports reporting the winter solider twist with shield

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

While the fall of Shield certainly leaves the path open to a superhero registration act, as they policed the superhero's to an extent, we kind of already seen Cap buck authority(granted that authority turned out to be hydra) and fight the power in Winter Soldier and while that establishes his bona fides as the leader of the anti registration heroes it would see two cap films in a row with the same slant. hopefully the years and films between now and cap 3 will be able to put some narrative distance between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭macslash

Sorry lads I'm not overly familiar with how Civil War ended? I know there is a big divide between the superheroes but what happens at the end? Do they come together or does one side destroy the other?? Someone can PM me if ye don't wanna share the details..ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The Iron Man star is going to be Captain America's antagonist this time out. Yep, it's Civil War time.

Marvel's famous thriftiness may be coming to an end, as the company appears to have shelled out the necessary money to secure Robert Downey, Jr.'s services in the Marvel Cinematic Universe for a bit longer than anticipated. If this pans out, it's huge, earth-shattering news for the 2016 moviescape, and it likely has Warner Bros. looking for Depends right about now.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138022-Marvel-Signs-Robert-Downey-Jr-For-Captain-America-3

Hope they get Chris Evans to hang on a bit longer as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

humanji wrote: »
    I'd be slightly worried about the civil war arc being brought to the movies now as there's feck all heroes available at the moment. So it'll either be a low key affair with a handful of superheroes (which would hardly be a war) or in the next few films they're going to unleash a torrent of new heroes which seems a little excessive and won't be giving nearly enough background story for us to give a sh*t when any of them are killed.

The other alternative is to simply have an original story and have it only loosely resembling Civil War, in which case why not go for something completely original? Time will tell, I guess.

I agree with Bacchus on this. Too many heroes and the film becomes an absolute mess of cameos. Avengers was great film that managed to balance all the Avengers at the cost any real threat perhaps as the baddies became just a faceless army but I think the CW arc adds a lot more intrigue and hoefully won't become a good-guy bad-guy thing. I haven't read the comics so I don't know how it was handled but it seems like an idea which could split audiences.

I'm really curious how this will fit into the Infinity Gauntlet thread they've been feeding us for the last while. CW seems like an Avengers film that would be difficult to contain within a Captain America film yet we've always assumed Avengers 3 was going to be the Thanos and the Gauntlet.
    cloud493 wrote: »

Going to be very interesting to see how audiences react to Stark as a "bad guy" but as mentioned above I think this has huge potential to go beyond those superhero cliches of good guys and bad guys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

FunLover18 wrote: »

Going to be very interesting to see how audiences react to Stark as a "bad guy" but as mentioned above I think this has huge potential to go beyond those superhero cliches of good guys and bad guys

Hopefully it goes the same route as the comics and both Stark and Captain aren't portrayed as bad guys, just people on either side of the fence who you could understand why they would hold certain views. Let the audience decide for themselves who is right and who is wrong and let the debates take place!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I have a feeling if Civil War is going to happen we may see it across all Movies and tv shows it won't all be crammed into Avengers 3 or 4.

If you look at it right now there will be 3 tv series going before Avengers 2 is released and 3 more to come from Netflix.

I could see Civil War starting in one Film say Captain America 3 and continuing in to AoS and the other series before finishing in Avengers 3 or 4.

It is a way to get a lot more hero's involved and not clusrer up the movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I'm really curious how this will fit into the Infinity Gauntlet thread they've been feeding us for the last while. CW seems like an Avengers film that would be difficult to contain within a Captain America film yet we've always assumed Avengers 3 was going to be the Thanos and the Gauntlet.

My best guess...

Avengers 2 - the cracks begin to show due to Starks part in creating Ultron.
    CA3 - This story continues with CA wanting to take Stark down. There's the Hydra story to continue there too, they have a stone don't they?
    GotG - Progress the Infinity Gauntlet, bringing things closer to Earth this time.
    Thor 3 - ??? Probably just another Loki vs Thor plot. It'd probably help tie the GotG characters to the more established (Earth bound) universe.
    Avengers 3 - Infinity Gauntlet story hits Earth, perhaps Thanos is in search of the final stone (the one we saw at the end of CA2 - Loki's one). The Avengers need to reform to fight the threat?

The only other thing I could see is that the Infinity Gauntlet is dragged out a bit more with the Civil War story dominating phase 3? This would give more time to set up a GotG & Avengers team up to take on Thanos.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Surely they'll do infinity gauntlet before they go near civil war? Otherwise they've been dragging out the Thanos stuff way more than they need to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good timing by The Dissolve, who happened to post this article criticising the whole cinematic universe concept a day before all this Civil War stuff: http://thedissolve.com/features/exposition/784-the-case-against-cinematic-universes/

Good for discussion, given how fond many are of the approach. I personally agree with the Dissolve's take - the further down the rabbit hole all this goes, I find myself actually turned off and think the individual films themselves suffer quite significantly. Article contains links to a few articles on the danger of teaser culture too (how each tease merely leads to another).

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Surely they'll do infinity gauntlet before they go near civil war? Otherwise they've been dragging out the Thanos stuff way more than they need to.

Thanos is THE big bad though. The entire series of movies has been the foreplay building up to him. The showdown with him is the conclusion of everything that has gone before. I see no problem teasing him out for another phase or 2 if that's the way Marvel go with it.

It would do no harm to his credentials if he was the baddie in another movie first (Thor or GotG) where he wins! Marvel keeps coming up with generic bad guys who get done over by a ball of light in the end. If Thanos's first big appearance is Avengers 3, he'll be seen no differently. If he's given a victory (in what would be "The Empire Strikes Back" of the MCU) he'll carry much more of threat into the final showdown. That could be done in GotG or Thor which are easily separated out from any Civil War story (involving Cap, IM, Hawkeye, Quicksilver, Ant Man etc) so the two could be done in parallel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Mickeroo wrote: »

I thought the whole infinity gauntlet had moved on to the Guardians of the Galaxy films? That's what I assumed, leaving the rest of the films to have their own arcs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Bacchus wrote: »
    Thanos is THE big bad though. The entire series of movies has been the foreplay building up to him. The showdown with him is the conclusion of everything that has gone before. I see no problem teasing him out for another phase or 2 if that's the way Marvel go with it.

It would do no harm to his credentials if he was the baddie in another movie first (Thor or GotG) where he wins! Marvel keeps coming up with generic bad guys who get done over by a ball of light in the end. If Thanos's first big appearance is Avengers 3, he'll be seen no differently. If he's given a victory (in what would be "The Empire Strikes Back" of the MCU) he'll carry much more of threat into the final showdown. That could be done in GotG or Thor which are easily separated out from any Civil War story (involving Cap, IM, Hawkeye, Quicksilver, Ant Man etc) so the two could be done in parallel.

Such a victory would have to involve the killing off of at least one character to attribute any legitimate menace to the character which I don't see happening or at least not without so much foreshadowing that it kills any impact of the moment á la Amazing Spiderman 2.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Good timing by The Dissolve, who happened to post this article criticising the whole cinematic universe concept a day before all this Civil War stuff: http://thedissolve.com/features/exposition/784-the-case-against-cinematic-universes/

Good for discussion, given how fond many are of the approach. I personally agree with the Dissolve's take - the further down the rabbit hole all this goes, I find myself actually turned off and think the individual films themselves suffer quite significantly. Article contains links to a few articles on the danger of teaser culture too (how each tease merely leads to another).

Valid enough points in there alright but for me it comes down to one simple thing.

Without a shared universe, what exactly is Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man et. al. going to do in each movie?

Hulk would be just fighting the army each time.
    Captain America simply doesn't work without SHIELD and all that comes with that. SHIELD in turn does not work without the Avengers.
    Iron Man probably has the most scope for independent storylines but which baddies does he get and which do the other superheroes get?

By sharing the universe, you open up a wealth of characters and potential storylines. Unfortunately, you get the problems listed in that article too i.e. Marvel playing it safe, sticking to a familiar formula.

Such a victory would have to involve the killing off of at least one character to attribute any legitimate menace to the character which I don't see happening or at least not without so much foreshadowing that it kills any impact of the moment á la Amazing Spiderman 2.

Not necessarily, following from my Empire Strikes Back reference, that was a suitably foreboding & dark ending without killing anyone. I'm not going to suggest HOW Marvel come up with it, but I think it is something that could easily be done... if Marvel have the balls to have a proper dark/foreboding ending.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have a feeling if Civil War is going to happen we may see it across all Movies and tv shows it won't all be crammed into Avengers 3 or 4.

I'd say you're right, and I dearly hope Marvel learn from their mistakes with Agents of SHIELD, when they withheld any sense of momentum, drama or significant developments in the universe until they were allowed to happen first in the films, specifically Captain America 2. They'll want to plan things out a little better so their TV series don't become hopelessly stalled by Marvel edicts not to get to the big events first.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd say you're right, and I dearly hope Marvel learn from their mistakes with Agents of SHIELD, when they withheld any sense of momentum, drama or significant developments in the universe until they were allowed to happen first in the films, specifically Captain America 2. They'll want to plan things out a little better so their TV series don't become hopelessly stalled by Marvel edicts not to get to the big events first.

Having Joss Whedon and his Whedonverse working the Avengers and all 6 series now and with the Russo brothers looking like they will take over Avengers after Captian 3. I think/Hope Marvel & Disney can see the big picture across the MCU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not necessarily, following from my Empire Strikes Back reference, that was a suitably foreboding & dark ending without killing anyone. I'm not going to suggest HOW Marvel come up with it, but I think it is something that could easily be done... if Marvel have the balls to have a proper dark/foreboding ending.

I disagree. In any case I doubt they'd want to do much to risk raising the age rating.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I disagree. In any case I doubt they'd want to do much to risk raising the age rating.

You don't think there is any way at all to establish Thanos as a credible threat without killing someone?

Why do you assume a foreboding/dark ending to one of the Marvel movies would automatically mean a higher age rating? Iron Man 3 dealt with some fairly grown-up themes and it was PG-13 and a huge success.

I think it would be quite refreshing (and welcomed by audiences) to have one of the MCU movies NOT end with a "hero saves the world" scenario. If the heroes keep on winning every time, audiences will grow weary of the same thing over and over. Their biggest problem right now is their villains, they are disposable and generic. Only Loki has any traction with audiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Don't think anyone will be doubting marvels balls after Avengers 2 if half of the rumours turn out to be true it could be pretty dark

You don't think there is any way at all to establish Thanos as a credible threat without killing someone?

Why do you assume a foreboding/dark ending to one of the Marvel movies would automatically mean a higher age rating? Iron Man 3 dealt with some fairly grown-up themes and it was PG-13 and a huge success.

I think it would be quite refreshing (and welcomed by audiences) to have one of the MCU movies NOT end with a "hero saves the world" scenario. If the heroes keep on winning every time, audiences will grow weary of the same thing over and over. Their biggest problem right now is their villains, they are disposable and generic. Only Loki has any traction with audiences.

Great as Loki and the Avengers were, the main reason I enjoyed it was the interaction between the heroes. Loki was never a legitimate threat. I don't think there's been a genuinely threatening or menacing Marvel villain yet. There's plenty of exposition on how dangerous a few of them are but when the protagonists come through at the end without so much as a scratch then it's a bit hard to take seriously. I do understand your point. Bane in TDKR never killed any main character and yet he was genuinely menacing. Perhaps it was because of the incorporation of elements from
    Broken Bat
    or his charisma. Marvel villains bar Loki are severely lacking in the latter.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I'm just hoping they bring back red skull into the films. He was a good villian and Hugo weaving played the part well.

ricero wrote: »
    I'm just hoping they bring back red skull into the films. He was a good villian and Hugo weaving played the part well.

From what I read he hated the role and won't do it again.

From what I read he hated the role and won't do it again.

With all the make-up he'd be less noticeably replaced

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Leaked trailer for age of ultron - not bad

Hulk buster is looking hnnngggggg

H. H. Asquith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

5 million views in like 9 hours...lol that's impressive

Can someone remind me; at the end of Iron Man 3 was Pepper "cured"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Yes.

Advertisement