Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well there's no context in that email, it's perfectly viable they were just discussing how dreadful female-based superhero films have tended to be, both financially and from a quality point of view. There's little doubt the three quoted films are around and about the worst superhero films made. Supergirl in particular, holy god it's bad. Astonishingly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I defy anyone to make a worse superhero film than Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I defy anyone to make a worse superhero film than Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

Batman and Robin and countless others are worse than Ghostrider 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, at least batman and robin had a vulgar, camp, "so bad its good" vibe going on; Supergirl was just ... dull. Borderline insulting and completely moronic - in a bad way. But then arguing over the worst superhero film is like choosing between a kick in the head or a punch in the groin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

As "serious" superhero films, the Ghost Rider films aren't for everyone, as awesomely bad Nicolas Cage films, they're great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Though in this day and age there's no reason why a female led superhero film can't work. There's a reason why the likes of Elektra and Catwoman were sh1t; back then, suits showed no respect to the characters at hand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Wonderwoman will be interesting to see. The character has the abilities to make a great superhero movie but I instantly lost faith when they cast Gadot. She is as charismatic as a plank of wood and looks like one too in comparison to what wonderwoman should actually look like. But I'm still looking forward to seeing it.

Scarlet Witch in this MCU could be done really well if they write some plots around her abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Worth noteing marvel have built agents of shield around a female lead

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

I read a really interesting article online concerning the infinity stones and where they are found. Gonna spoiler it just in case.
    Tesseract- The space gem
    ??- Soul Gem
    Aether- The reality gem
    ??-Mind Gem
    The power Orb- The power gem
    Loki’s Sceptre- The mind gem

Line up the words and it seems Marvel are trying to spell something..or the name of a certain villain
    Tersseract
    ???
    Aether
    ???
    Orb
    Sceptre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I can't believe Catwoman cost 100 million to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

After watching Daredevil, I have to say id love if they did a Deadpool series that was along the same level. Do FOX own the rights to the Marvel Characters outside of films?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Tom Hardy wants to play The Punisher.
    "I want the Punisher," he told Collider. "I want the Punisher, or Splinter Cell, I want something…I don’t know what I want."

"I’m not big enough to be The Punisher, I’m 5'9"," he laughed, but added, "Frank Castle, I would love it."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/tom-hardy-wants-to-play-the-punisher

I wouldn't be a fan him in the role anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Tom Hardy wants to play The Punisher.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/tom-hardy-wants-to-play-the-punisher

If Tom Cruise can play Jack Reacher then Tom Hardy can play Punisher. They can make him look taller by lowering the camera or something.

He certainly didnt look small as Bane!

Or Bronson.

I think that Hardy could be a decent Frank Castle but I really can't see the character being done justice unless it's shot for a hard R or done by Netflix. The Punisher is the one Marvel character that can't really be watered down, to do so would be to lose the appeal of the character and undermine what he is all about. He's a cold blooded killing machine without morals or sympathy. I loved Thomas Jane in the role but the film they built around him wasn't very much in the Punisher mold. Ray Stevenson was equally well cast and War Zone is as close to the comic as anyone has got though personally Frank Grillo in The Purge: Anarchy is the closest to the comic that I have seen anyone get, throw a skull onto his vest and you could easily imagine Anarchy to be the fourth Punisher film.

cronin_j wrote: »
    If Tom Cruise can play Jack Reacher then Tom Hardy can play Punisher. They can make him look taller by lowering the camera or something.

He certainly didnt look small as Bane!

To be fair Tom Cruise played someone called Reacher he wasn't Reacher and I liked the film a lot.

If they are going to cast The Punisher I'd like them to go with someone like Joe Manganiello.

I liked Ray Stevenson & Thomas Jane was great in the short.

To be fair to Marvel they have done well casting there leads in the MCU.

Netflix and Daredevil has opened my mind to TV adaptations. Throw Blade in while we're at it, another character who won't get Justice done in the MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

This comes on the back of all the bad press there are getting about Black Widow as well.

The whole black widow thing to me, seems like some very stupid people with a poor grasp of language and comprehension taking up an issue for the sake of it. She's clearly stating that shes a monster because she was engineered to be a super assassin, to the extent that she was sterilized to prevent the distraction / conflicted loyalty a child would bring. how is that not monstrous?

The whole black widow thing to me, seems like some very stupid people with a poor grasp of language and comprehension taking up an issue for the sake of it. She's clearly stating that shes a monster because she was engineered to be a super assassin, to the extent that she was sterilized to prevent the distraction / conflicted loyalty a child would bring. how is that not monstrous?

Jeremy Renner and Chris Evens calling Black Widow a slut & a whore in a press interview doesn't help the case either.
    “She’s a slut,” said Renner, which, amidst days of bland, repetitive Q&As made Evans chuckle.

“I was going to say something along that line – a complete whore,” replies Evans, adding, “She has a prosthetic leg anyway.”

Yes it's done in jest but it's not helping anyones cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

The Punisher movies haven't fared well (although I enjoyed both), I think he could benefit from a TV show.
    He's fit right in to the world created by the Daredevil TV show. Any crossovers would seem natural rather than forced.

Frank Grillo would be almost too easy casting. As Darko mentioned, he pretty much played the part in The Purge: Anarchy.
    He's ripped to pieces (just have a look at Kingdom). He's more weathered (again suiting the character) than Tom Hardy for example.
    Garret Dillahunt is another I'd like. There's something about him that makes me think he could hold a TV show on his own. I've liked anything I've seen from him.

The Punisher movies haven't fared well (although I enjoyed both), I think he could benefit from a TV show.
    He's fit right in to the world created by the Daredevil TV show. Any crossovers would seem natural rather than forced.

Frank Grillo would be almost too easy casting. As Darko mentioned, he pretty much played the part in The Purge: Anarchy.
    He's ripped to pieces (just have a look at Kingdom). He's more weathered (again suiting the character) than Tom Hardy for example.
    Garret Dillahunt is another I'd like. There's something about him that makes me think he could hold a TV show on his own. I've liked anything I've seen from him.

The problem with Grillo is that he's already a part of the Marvsl Universe and the insistence that all the shows and films exist in the same universe means that there's no chance of him playing The Punisher. It's going to be interesting to see how they bring Daredevil into the film universe given how much more adult it is than any of the films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Probably irrelevant but I watched an interview with TJ Miller who is playing Weasel in Deadpool. While I know Fox owns Deadpool, Miller says to "the folks over at Marvel" will not like him spilling secrets on the movie. While this may just be a mistake by the actor, it has me wondering could Deadpool be somehow integrated into the MCU? Even sarcastically through jokes and references to other movies. Here is the interview http://www.ibtimes.co.in/deadpool-movie-news-weasel-tj-miller-reveals-major-spoilers-video-631485

The talk is that Fox's X-Men universe will end with the next movie, Apocalypse and that Jackmans last time playing Wolverine will be in the 2017 solo movie. Could this leave the door open for Marvel to regain some control over some of these characters and work them into future movies? Certain characters such as Deadpool and Wolverine need to appear in some way I believe (Deadpools interactions with Thor in the comics being a real highlight for me) and Wolverine is integral to the Avengers.

I know this topic has been done to death but just these recent reports have given me a glimmer of hope where previously there was none!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Martin Freeman To Play Everett Ross? Will Return In Black Panther

http://mcuexchange.com/martin-freeman-to-play-everett-ross-will-return-in-black-panther/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

If they're going to make a punisher series I hope it's a real hard R adaptation and even more violent than Daredevil. It should easily be for 18s over here. Netflix would be the perfect network to do this and have it be successful. Again though, it's all well and good making these series violent as fuk but it'll be weird if they were to crossover with the other shows or movies in the universe since we'd love and grow to expect the violence and cursing and end up missing it in the crossovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Never realised her character's surname was Carter. Is she supposed to be related to Peggy?

Dair76 wrote: »
    Never realised her character's surname was Carter. Is she supposed to be related to Peggy?

She's Peggy's niece in the comics.

Dair76 wrote: »

Peggy is her Aunt.

• Advertisement

Wasn't it mentioned in The Winter Soldier that Sharon was Peggy's niece?

Advertisement