Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Foxtrol wrote: »
    She’s 3 to 4 times the pay of two actors who have both been leads in two movies in their own franchises, while she has only been support.

Outside of the agent angle, the only explanation I can think is Evans and Hemsworth have most of their pay frontloaded into their own franchises and the Avengers is seen as an add on for pay purposes.

I hope the guys write a strongly worded blog/letter about the inequality.

Agreed.

It's possible her contract had expired and that's why she was able to negotiate such a high price, whereas Evans and Hemsworth are still locked into their original.

Edit What's cinemablend's source for this btw?

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Agreed.

It's possible her contract had expired and that's why she was able to negotiate such a high price, whereas Evans and Hemsworth are still locked into their original.

Edit What's cinemablend's source for this btw?

She has a huge career outside the franchise. The lads not so much. She was a far bigger star than any of them, before and now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

I have more respect for those who have taken less than $10 million. Yes, good actors are in high demand, but €40 million for a role in a film is (and always has been in my book) way too much. I know he could charge whatever he wanted, but that's a crazy amount of money for someone who had just a little more screen time than Ruffalo.

Ah ya I'm sure you would tell them to take the 30 mill back if it was you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Evans/Ruffalo earn that low? Thats mad.

Ruffalo is the 3rd actor to play the Hulk in recent movies. Yes, he's the best as Banner, but the actual Hulk is a CGI creation anyhow. There are lots of possible storylines where Banner doesn't appear at all.

Evans' Captain America is on borrowed time. Even the obvious next choice has a backup in the MCU already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Evan's is pretty much only known for being Cap' I didn't know him from anything before it and he hasn't done much since. I doubt there are too many other roles being offered to him at over 6 mil.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Evan's is pretty much only known for being Cap' I didn't know him from anything before it and he hasn't done much since. I doubt there are too many other roles being offered to him at over 6 mil.

He was in the original Fantastic Four.

He was in the original Fantastic Four.

Yes, that probably hurts his salary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think Johannson's salary is that surprising: outside of RDJ she's easily the biggest Hollywood Star-Celebrity in the cast, and alongside Jennifer Lawrence, probably the most-famous female actor in Hollywood. I'd be more surprised were she not paid more than most of her colleagues.

A canny agent always helps - one only need look at Downey-Jrs's mind-boggling salary after all - but Johannson is an incredibly famous, in-demand face who is being constantly asked to play a second fiddle / love interest role in the franchise. Were I her I'd be asking for a generous salary too.

I do wonder though how RDJ / Johannson's salaries shaped Marvel's casting for newer roles such as Black Panther or Spider man; they wouldn't want any floodgates to open & everyone suddenly demanding parity in the salaries, so maybe that's why they've gone for relatively unknown actors for these roles. Benedict Cumberbatch feels like the exception mind. May also be why Captain Marvel remains uncast (iirc?) - famous names like Emily Blunt probably come with a suddenly-higher price tag.

Just get Rebecca Ferguson to play Marvel

Edit. Not the reality show winner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote:
    I do wonder though how RDJ / Johannson's salaries shaped Marvel's casting for newer roles such as Black Panther or Spider man; they wouldn't want any floodgates to open & everyone suddenly demanding parity in the salaries, so maybe that's why they've gone for relatively unknown actors for these roles. Benedict Cumberbatch feels like the exception mind. May also be why Captain Marvel remains uncast (iirc?) - famous names like Emily Blunt probably come with a suddenly-higher price tag.

I don't about this, actors who haven't been cast don't have any leverage when it comes to bargaining, only that the studio wants them but that goes for every role and every studio. RDJ had huge bargaining capability in that his contract was up and he is easily the most popular Avenger. Someone like Cumberbatch or Chadwick Boseman doesn't have that leverage because Marvel aren't restricted in the same way they could easily just get someone else whereas recasting RDJ wasn't an option.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    I do wonder though how RDJ / Johannson's salaries shaped Marvel's casting for newer roles such as Black Panther or Spider man; they wouldn't want any floodgates to open & everyone suddenly demanding parity in the salaries

RDJ did Iron man for just $500K.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A crazy change in ones bank balance, but I think it's fair to say Marvel in the cinema was a much different beast then than it is now. A billion dollars worth of different.

A crazy change in ones bank balance, but I think it's fair to say Marvel in the cinema was a much different beast then than it is now.

Yes, and a large part of the difference is RDJ in Iron Man.

If the first MCU movie had been The Incredible Hulk, the whole thing could have bombed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He'll also be a very hard act to follow as well, he is Tony Stark, perfect bit of casting.

Yes, and a large part of the difference is RDJ in Iron Man.

If the first MCU movie had been The Incredible Hulk, the whole thing could have bombed.

I do understand why they wrote RDJ a blank cheque (500k must have seemed like a bargain), I'm not claiming otherwise, but no more than football transfers or government contracts, once it gets out that someone has money to burn, there's a tendancy to see quotations, fees and salaries go up in parallel.

I certainly can't imagine how agents' conversations over money wouldn't be different now, considering Marvel Films are the closest thing to a gravy-train at the moment, compared with when the studio first struck out on its own (Just had a look and Iron Man 1 released off the back of X-Men The Last Stand, Fantastic Four 2, Ghost Rider & Spider-Man 3; yeesh! Superhero films have come a long way in a short space of time; Iron Man must have seemed like a bit of a gamble at the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Just wading in on the whole who earns how much cash, my 2 cents on the matter is this, IF it weren't for RDJ and Iron Man being such a success the whole MCU would've bombed, and RDJ is the de-facto star of the MCU when ya think about it..

But like i said, just my 2 cents on the matter..

• Registered Users Posts: 60,637 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Iron Man 1 was a huge gamble really when you look back on it RDJ was still seen as a Hollywood bad boy and was about to star in a Superhero film that probably most of the cinema going public never heard of before.

I think the reason it worked and as some other posters mentioned is simply RDJ was Tony Stark with all his demons.

Now after the success of the MCU he is Tony Stark with all his money and he seems to have got rid of the demons.

With the wages thing I would guess that Evans & Hemsworth are paid pretty damm well for there own MCU franchises.

RDJ is a box office draw the others aren't.

The top 7 grossing MCU films RDJ is the star of 5 of them Captain America: The Winter Soldier is 7th and close to $100m behind Iron Man 2 in box office receipts.

GotG is the one number 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I'm sure that's part of it, they don't want to have to start paying those kinds of salaries to everyone but I would also say that at this point, they know they don't need to. Part of the reason you cast a big star is to draw in the crowd, Marvel is a big enough name that they don't need an actor to draw everyone in, GotG was an example of that. Chris Pratt was relatively small at the time, I think he'd only really been in Parks and Rec at that point.

Plus with Marvel you're not just signing up for one movie, you're going to have something like a 6 movie deal. A lot of the big stars don't want that because they don't need it. It's a really big commitment. For the lesser known actors it's a big break and a chance for them to have a steady income.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,637 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fan made.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So finished Jessica Jones. Pretty good but didn't have the same punch as Daredevil IMHO. And this article sums up how I feel about how it ties into the MCU or even its own Defenders universe.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/11/22/jessica-jones-makes-me-question-the-point-of-the-marvel-cinematic-universe/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just finished JJ myself, and while it kept me interested, i felt like it was missing something. Daredevil was good throughout (if i remember correctly), whereas i'm finding it hard to keep liking Jessica as a character. She's too mopey. Maybe that'll all change in Defenders, but she needs to start relaxing a bit.

And by Jesus, the ending;
    Surely someone thought that the audience would see that ending coming a country mile away! They could have come up with something a bit better in fairness. I don't know what they could have done, but when they started talking about increasing Killgraves power, i knew it was going to end more or less exactly the way it did. Shame.

To be honest, i don't know if i could keep interest in a second season, unless it was a completely different ball game, which i'd imagine it will with the
    origin
    stuff.

One thing i would like to ask about, specifically about Jessica Jones. SHIELD and the ACTU both have these magical technologies that allow them to hunt for Inhumans, but Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and a few others appear to be completely off their radars. I understand why Kilgrave was never on it, but surely with Jessica not caring that people realise she has abilities (á lá lifting the Aston Martin, should this not at least ping some interest from either SHIELD or the ACTU?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

JJ was very enjoyable (we wouldn't have watched 13 hours of it over the last couple of days if it wasn't) but it is not as good as Daredevil.

Mind you Daredevil has been my favourite TV of 2015 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

One thing i would like to ask about, specifically about Jessica Jones. SHIELD and the ACTU both have these magical technologies that allow them to hunt for Inhumans, but Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and a few others appear to be completely off their radars. I understand why Kilgrave was never on it, but surely with Jessica not caring that people realise she has abilities (á lá lifting the Aston Martin, should this not at least ping some interest from either SHIELD or the ACTU?

I'm not watching AoS but are the Inhumans not linked to the soul gem that was in Loki's staff? JJ, LC and DD were all accidents or experiments. Does that count them as Inhumans?

I'm only 4 eps into JJ and it's great. Not as good as DD but DD was a fantastic show that'd be hard to top.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Don't think DD, Cage or JJ are inhumans no more than Hulk or Spider-Man are.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Bacchus wrote: »
    I'm not watching AoS but are the Inhumans not linked to the soul gem that was in Loki's staff? JJ, LC and DD were all accidents or experiments. Does that count them as Inhumans?

I'm only 4 eps into JJ and it's great. Not as good as DD but DD was a fantastic show that'd be hard to top.
    Not in the Agents of Shield tv show, no. They linked to some alien crystal (think it is the aliens that invaded earth in the first avengers) but there is no infinity stone link.

Not in the Agents of Shield tv show, no. They linked to some alien crystal (think it is the aliens that invaded earth in the first avengers) but there is no infinity stone link.

Yet

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the general point is more so that with Daredevil, Jessica Jones and to a lesser extent Luke Cage going around New York with superpowers (somewhat publicly, particularly for Daredevil), Shield has seemingly made no attempt to make sure they're good guys, unless we take it that there's a small subset of Shield monitoring them or checking them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The crystals that creates inhumans is linked to the Kree whose presence predates the Avengers by several decades at least

Penn wrote: »
    I think the general point is more so that with Daredevil, Jessica Jones and to a lesser extent Luke Cage going around New York with superpowers (somewhat publicly, particularly for Daredevil), Shield has seemingly made no attempt to make sure they're good guys, unless we take it that there's a small subset of Shield monitoring them or checking them out.

Is all this happening though around the time of Winter Soldier? Daredevil has only made reference to the incident in New York.
    Shield may be in disarray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think Daredevil is actually quite easy to stay off S.H.I.E.L.D s radar. Nobody knows he's a blind guy and all he's doing is some Ninja chopping. No different to any non gifted Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Jessica however has super human strength and Luke has a bulletproof body. That sort of thing would spark alarm bells in an agency like S.H.I.E.L.D.

Advertisement