Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Simpsons called it

simpsons-predicts-disney-buying-fox-1-720x466.jpg

"It [Deadpool] clearly has been and will be Marvel branded. But we think there might be an opportunity for a Marvel-R brand for something like Deadpool," said Iger. "As long as we let the audiences know what's coming, we think we can manage that fine."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/deadpool-will-stay-r-rated-fox-disney-merger-1067651

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Tefral wrote: »
    The MCU is literally a money printing machine.

Well, They’d want to start printing.
    I’m guessing they’ll want to bump the 3 films they produce a year to about 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,629 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

You have to wonder if Avengers 4 will set up some kind of X-Universe for Phase 4? I'm sure that they have had this deal in mind when making A4, possibly with the intent to create a new movie universe.

Love the thought of villains such as Doom and Galactus being used properly. As well a real life version of the Illuminati...the possibilities are crazy.

The possibilities for TV are endless too. The Gifted is doing a great job of being set in the X Men universe but would love a show similar to Marvels Netflix series. Actually, a Fantastic Four Netflix show could be pretty good. But I guess with all the cosmic elements, the big screen might do it proper justice.

IN FEIGE WE TRUST!!!

• Advertisement

I really hope it doesn't, since presumably avengers 4 story was locked down way before this happened. I hope for little teases from avengers 3 and 4, like post credits stuff, also in Captain Marvel, then they can set it up better for the end of phase 4 and phase 5.

I still firmly believe there's no way in f*ck that Disney would prevent Deadpool 2 from being a hard R-Rated movie. Whatever about Disney owning everything, they do tend to let the studios themselves do pretty much whatever they wanted without a lot of tampering. Only time they seem to is if it is actively damaging their brands -- like when the CEO of Disney contacted EA over their handling of the Star Wars Battlefront 2 diabolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I imagine Disney might release some movies under a new or existing label so they can still be R-rated without being a "Disney" film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

You have to wonder if Avengers 4 will set up some kind of X-Universe for Phase 4? I'm sure that they have had this deal in mind when making A4, possibly with the intent to create a new movie universe.

Love the thought of villains such as Doom and Galactus being used properly. As well a real life version of the Illuminati...the possibilities are crazy.

The possibilities for TV are endless too. The Gifted is doing a great job of being set in the X Men universe but would love a show similar to Marvels Netflix series. Actually, a Fantastic Four Netflix show could be pretty good. But I guess with all the cosmic elements, the big screen might do it proper justice.

IN FEIGE WE TRUST!!!

I think (hope) the X-Men will be saved for Phase 5 so they can introduce them properly. Maybe we'll get a few easter eggs thrown in before that to set the stage.

FF is the real gold though. As you say. Doom. Galactus (or even Gah Lac Tus from Ultimate universe would be cool). Silver Surfer. Skrulls. FF will be the anchor heroes for the next few phases as a few key characters retire. For that reason I disagree with sticking them on a TV show. It'd be a waste of one of Marvels most integral properties.

As for other posters suggestions around the picking and choosing of existing X-Men movies/actors to bring over to the MCU... I much prefer a clean slate. Why bring that baggage to the MCU. That said, I'd like to see Disney take on a few projects outside of the MCU such as Deadpool and New Mutants. Kinda like the comics have one shot stories or series independent of the main universe(s) I think there's a strong case for doing movies or trilogy stories outside of the MCU. These movies would benefit from not needing to be weighed down by the continuity and history of the MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Bacchus wrote: »

IN FEIGE WE TRUST!!!

I think (hope) the X-Men will be saved for Phase 5 so they can introduce them properly. Maybe we'll get a few easter eggs thrown in before that to set the stage.

FF is the real gold though. As you say. Doom. Galactus (or even Gah Lac Tus from Ultimate universe would be cool). Silver Surfer. Skrulls. FF will be the anchor heroes for the next few phases as a few key characters retire. For that reason I disagree with sticking them on a TV show. It'd be a waste of one of Marvels most integral properties.

As for other posters suggestions around the picking and choosing of existing X-Men movies/actors to bring over to the MCU... I much prefer a clean slate. Why bring that baggage to the MCU. That said, I'd like to see Disney take on a few projects outside of the MCU such as Deadpool and New Mutants. Kinda like the comics have one shot stories or series independent of the main universe(s) I think there's a strong case for doing movies or trilogy stories outside of the MCU. These movies would benefit from not needing to be weighed down by the continuity and history of the MCU.

Skrulls are already set to appear in
    Captain Marvel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Bacchus wrote: »

Really want to see galactus in its full glory so I don't want to see the ultimate version. I understand that the 616 galactus would be hard to do in this day and age but my little hope/conspiracy theory is that the reason they've seemed to have dressed down Thanos' look is that they were expecting this deal to happen and to be able to present galactus as the next logical threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Really want to see galactus in its full glory so I don't want to see the ultimate version. I understand that the 616 galactus would be hard to do in this day and age but my little hope/conspiracy theory is that the reason they've seemed to have dressed down Thanos' look is that they were expecting this deal to happen and to be able to present galactus as the next logical threat.

Did Galactus aka The Big Cloud, at the end of Silver Surfer, not do it for you?

The rough outline of his helmet in that cloud jizzed me no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

There was a helmet outline?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Proper Civil War with Reed Richards negative zone prison please. Disney will make a ton of cartoon shows now with the characters, Hulk from Universal and Spidey from Sony have probably become a lot more expensive.

Google galactus cloud helmet. ;)

Proper Civil War with Reed Richards negative zone prison please. Disney will make a ton of cartoon shows now with the characters, Hulk from Universal and Spidey from Sony have probably become a lot more expensive.

But comic book civil war is kinda lame though.

Easy to learn how to polish a story in the aftermath for film purposes. Civil war was an awesome concept and central story was fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Special place in hell for anyone that thinks this, it would be a cluster duck to do it on screen but maybe an animated version would work, marvel/disney needs to take a page out of DC some of the Justice League animation was fantastic Marvel now have dozens of arcs that would be excellent animated cinematic productions.

We're forgetting the most basic point as well that the MCU adapted civil war to shattering success while keeping the key components of the arc.

Marvel milked things with the side civil war off shoots but that wasn't an element in the MCU. Now if that's what is meant by lame fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Special place in hell for anyone that thinks this, it would be a cluster duck to do it on screen but maybe an animated version would work, marvel/disney needs to take a page out of DC some of the Justice League animation was fantastic Marvel now have dozens of arcs that would be excellent animated cinematic productions.

Sadly though, with the massive following of kids for Marvel properties, Disney will see any cartoon as aimed at under 12s. So we will probably not get stuff as good as DCs animated films/some TV shows anytime soon.

Though saying that, Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

from her wiki:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jac_Schaeffer
    Schaeffer wrote Nasty Women, a Dirty Rotten Scoundrels remake starring Anne Hathaway,[4] set to be released in August 2018.[5] Schaeffer is also developing her Blacklisted-script The Shower with Hathaway.[6]

Looks like she's relatively new so that'll probably give us a feel for her style:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2356614/

• Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wonder will Cable get a standalone origins film

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So, in the latest update on Sony's flailing attempt to adapt everything from the Spider Man universe that isn't Spider Man, the studio is looking to develop a film based on 'Silk'.

Who? Exactly.

Honestly I hadn't heard of her myself, probably 'cos she only came on the scene in 2014: Silk / Cindy Moon is not only a web-slinger, but was bitten by the same spider that nibbled Peter Parker :D Same powers, slightly cooler costume TBH - that's kinda it. Except apparently for the ... super-hormones that make Silk & Spider Man f*ck when they're in close proximity. Yeah. Yay, comicbooks :rolleyes:

Given how popular & well received Spider Gwen became over the last few years, I'm surprised she wasn't tagged for an adaptation first. Unless Marvel have the licence themselves that is.

https://www.thewrap.com/silk-spider-man-korean-american-heroine/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I dunno... I enjoyed the first 2 Iron Man films, Avengers 1/2/2.5 (Civil War).. but I haven't the interest or time to keep track of all the spin-off films/characters to be honest.

I have yet to watch Avengers: Infinity War, but will I be completely lost at this point, or can you still watch only the "big films" (as with Star Wars) and still know what's going on?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I dunno... I enjoyed the first 2 Iron Man films, Avengers 1/2/2.5 (Civil War).. but I haven't the interest or time to keep track of all the spin-off films/characters to be honest.

I have yet to watch Avengers: Infinity War, but will I be completely lost at this point, or can you still watch only the "big films" (as with Star Wars) and still know what's going on?

If you have a passing idea of the characters then you don't have to have seen them.

Won't be lost anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

If you have a passing idea of the characters then you don't have to have seen them.

Won't be lost anyway

While that's true, I don't think you'll get as much enjoyment out of it without the investment in the characters over the course of the movies. There's still a lot to enjoy but certain jokes and emotional punches won't land for you without knowing the history of the characters.

I think the only MCU movie with no bearing on Infinity War would be Antman. You could get away with not watching Spiderman, Doctor Strange, and Black Panther, and jump in fine to IW but I think you'd be missing out a little bit.

I'd definitely recommend you watch GotG 1 & 2, and Thor 3. They are very directly linked to IW (with IW literally picking up right after Thor 3). Civil War is another "must watch" IMO as it sets up the 'state of play' on Earth for IW, but you've seen that anyway.

Personally, I think anything with Iron Man is essential viewing. The journey to IW has really revolved around him more than anyone. He's the most fleshed out and complex character the MCU has and, though IW is Thanos's movie, this is also as much about Tony Stark's nightmare come true.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,375 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/tv/2017/11/16/16652478/punisher-marvel-universe-references

Just what I was thinking. How is this connected to a universe where there are super humans, people living on the moon,space aliens, wizards etc ???. With all the tech around would the US Army not have the right equipment to whip out Afgan/Iraq in a flash ??? There's an African country with very advanced technology

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 RIFF87

MCU fans!

Sunday September 9 we are running a quiz night downstairs in Fibbers, Dublin entirely about the Marvel Cinematic Universe!

€30 per table, 1 team per table, maximum 5 players per team

Tickets are nearly sold out so get in quick if you’re interested!

All the info can be found here;
    https://www.facebook.com/events/527165861051849/?ti=icl

Hope to see you there!

Advertisement