Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Venom wrote: »
    The big problem the Fox properties have is that Fox already mined a lot of the big characters and then shat on them.

The X-Men franchise needs a long rest at this point and even if it's given a 5 to 10-year break, most of the big mutant storylines such as Dark Pheonix, Magneto, Apocolypse, old Man Logan and the time travel stuff has already been done and in some cases done twice.

The Fantastic Four has been so badly handed will movie goers even consider giving a third reboot a shot? That's not even taken into account that a fair amount of the big FF plotlines are pretty quirky and would seem to be just more GOTG level hijinks for non comic fans!

I disagree. Fantastic Four will be ripe for a reboot when they'll likely look to do it (in 3 to 5 years). That'll be nearly 15 years since the Jessica Alba movies and given the failure the recent reboot was I don't see there being any issue with bringing in fresh faces, presuming Marvel do it right. We saw with Spiderman how little the audience care about previous versions, which I think would be more difficult for such a popular and well know character and previous actors.

X-men as a team do need a rest but they could be introduced very slowly as part of other movies, before getting to an ensemble movie. For example, Storm could easily be in Black Panther 2 (or 3) or Rouge Captain Marvel 2 (or 3). They have a wealth of storylines that they leverage before having to look back to redo what we've already seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I agree re X-Men and the Fantastic 4, with the amazing work done on the Spiderman films I've great hopes for a proper F4 or X-Men introduction. The characters are never really the problem in the MCU, it's the scripts. Hell, because of Korg I want a standalone film with just Korg, or at the very least make him a semi-lead role in the upcoming Thor movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Really like the ultimate comics, even if they've done it already I'd rather they stuck with a young cast for the X-men. Same with the Human torch, be great to have him and Peter Parker being BFFs.

They've done Inhumans, so maybe mutants are a natural evolution of that human potential brought on by something recent (a Infinity Stones stone created a few super powered people, so maybe all of them being used on earth did something). Have Prof X and Magnito and a few select mutants already around but have it rare until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Really pleased that Taika is taking over the Thor reigns again. I really liked the third film.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Calhoun wrote: »
    Really pleased that Taika is taking over the Thor reigns again. I really liked the third film.

I hope we don't get a continuation of fat thor and his buffoonery. Fingers crossed its back to ragnarok thor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I hope we don't get a continuation of fat thor and his buffoonery. Fingers crossed its back to ragnarok thor

Agreed as long as Korg and Miek are part of it. Taika as Korg was one of my favorites from Thor 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

El Duda wrote: »
    The last three Marvel films;

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Production Budget: $160 million

Worldwide: $849,993,291

Avenger Endgame

Production Budget: $356 million

Worldwide: $2,781,545,151

Captain Marvel

Production Budget: $152 million

Worldwide: $1,128,274,794

They certainly will not be thinking "We need to shake things up". If anything, they'll be thinking "We need to keep on doing exactly what we're doing"

Well, that's fair enough. They did make a few bob :) Hah. But Engame (and to a lesser extent, Far from Home) did seem like a very logical conclusion to a 10-year arc with 18 movies (Starting from first Avengers). You could go back to Captain America as that had the first Infinity Stone. Hell, you could go back to Ironman). But..
    Bacchus wrote:
    Galactus would be easy to do just that (in 3 phases). Just like Thanos, they only need to show teases in the first two phases before finally having him arrive phase 3. In broad strokes, they could start out in the GotG "universe" with teases of reports of planets being wiped out. ........

Spinning up another huge arc like that would definitely lead to fatigue. You are talking about going out to almost 2030!!! It's certainly a possibility, actually a PROBABILITY but you also have to remember tastes move on, people get older, the audience for Ironman 1 will be over 20 years older by the time Phase 6 finishes.

So, while I don't think they are going to go totally batsh*t crazy and, say, give Tarantino the next Dr. Strange movie or stop-motion animate Guardians 6 or 7, they need to look at the big picture (No pun intended). And, say what you want about Marvel, they certainly do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Calhoun wrote: »
    Agreed as long as Korg and Miek are part of it. Taika as Korg was one of my favorites from Thor 3.

Just a thought....... Why the hell are they not house-sharing with Daryll??? :D

(Maybe he went with the Snap... should be good now though.

"Yeh. This is my new mate, Daryll! Yeh. He's diamond.. Not, like REAL diamond.. I mean he's not even a rock like me. But' y'know... He's a diamond. Sharp too... I mean not like Miek. He's got knives for hands... Maybe he's like paper. Rock, Paper, Scissors in the one place"

You get the drift. I want that as a DVD extra... Nay. I DEMAND that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Just a thought....... Why the hell are they not house-sharing with Daryll??? :D

(Maybe he went with the Snap... should be good now though.

"Yeh. This is my new mate, Daryll! Yeh. He's diamond.. Not, like REAL diamond.. I mean he's not even a rock like me. But' y'know... He's a diamond. Sharp too... I mean not like Miek. He's got knives for hands... Maybe he's like paper. Rock, Paper, Scissors in the one place"

You get the drift. I want that as a DVD extra... Nay. I DEMAND that!
    And I read that in Korgs voice

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So, while I don't think they are going to go totally batsh*t crazy and, say, give Tarantino the next Dr. Strange movie or stop-motion animate Guardians 6 or 7, they need to look at the big picture (No pun intended). And, say what you want about Marvel, they certainly do that!

I want this now. When can we get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It's certainly a possibility, actually a PROBABILITY but you also have to remember tastes move on, people get older, the audience for Ironman 1 will be over 20 years older by the time Phase 6 finishes.

You have to balance the fact that for every person that is getting older who saw Ironman 1 at the cinema they have been replaced by numerous kids who are around the same age that they were at that time. Similar to Star Wars, people will have to accept that they will nearly always cater in some way for the younger end of the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Which is why I look forward to (hopeful) sequels to Brightburn!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Spinning up another huge arc like that would definitely lead to fatigue. You are talking about going out to almost 2030!!! It's certainly a possibility, actually a PROBABILITY but you also have to remember tastes move on, people get older, the audience for Ironman 1 will be over 20 years older by the time Phase 6 finishes.

I don't think it will be the "huge arc" that leads to fatigue, particularly if they low-key it in phase 1 and allow the MCU a year or two to breath after Endgame. What will lead to fatigue is poorly made movies and sticking to the same formula over and over in each movie. For instance, I am totally done with the DCEU, I've zero desire to follow that universe anymore. Fortunately, Disney have proven pretty good at shaking things up every now so I can see that train carrying on with success for the foreseeable.

The huge Thanos arc is what led to two of the top 5 box office movies of all time. There is pay-off to building that kind of arc. It's up to Disney to find a way to keep it fresh but I honestly cannot see them thinking about going through the next 3 phases without a "big bad". They clearly see the model as 6/7 movies in a phase, 3 phases in a saga. It's works nicely too in terms of how many years has passed since Iron Man 1. The Thanos Saga is book-ended. A fresh saga is beginning that will be a jumping on point for new fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lots of Phase 4 news. Movies, shows, dates and details. This 3 minute IGN video will save me lots of typing!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow, Ali as Blade and Portman as female Thor!

Wandavision is still an awful name. Severe lack of Spidey in that lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I totally called this in the Alita:BA thread
    kerplun k wrote: »
    Mahershala Ali. fast becoming one of my favorite actors but is criminally underused here.

Sticking with Ali, if Marvel ever get around to making another Blade, Ali has to be a shoe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I totally called this in the Alita:BA thread

I was not prepared for Vampires in the MCU. That's huge news.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1152747705321439233

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1152751492555669504

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1152756007036018688

Black Panther 2, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Fantastic Four, Captain Marvel 2 and Mutants will all be released during Phase 4 too.

Disney+ TV shows - The Falcon and the Winter Soldier coming in Fall 2020, WandaVision in Spring 2021 and Loki in Spring 2021.
    Animated series What If...?, with the MCU cast returning to voice their roles and Jeffrey Wright playing The Watcher will hit Disney+ in Summer 2021.

Jeremy Renner is returning in Hawkeye, his own Disney+ show, which is out in Fall 2021 and will introduce Kate Bishop.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a28394640/marvel-mcu-phase-4-movies-release-dates/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mahershala Ali as Blade is an inspired choice, am excited to see Waititi take on Jane Foster as Thor, (an epic name too with "Love and Thunder"), but the rest is just a shoulder shrug. 7 releases in 2021 I think I read? Saturation point, and then some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

pixelburp wrote: »
    Mahershala Ali as Blade is an inspired choice, am excited to see Waititi take on Jane Foster as Thor, (an epic name too with "Love and Thunder"), but the rest is just a shoulder shrug. 7 releases in 2021 I think I read? Saturation point, and then some.

5 movies in 20/21 and then a number of TV shows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

5 movies in 20/21 and then a number of TV shows.

Yeesh, still feels too much. I think I definitely need a break. Helps that nearly all the new stuff pulls no interest with me, makes the decision easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,628 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm surprised they are using Portman when she refused to work with them and only did so because of her contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know there was a whole thing with James Gunn but I'm surprised GotG3 isn't in these plans yet.
    So giving a break until May.

Oh I'm pretty much done now.
    Will probably check Black Widow, just because it's been far too long coming and ScaJo long deserved her own film. If they go down the route of the first 2/3s of Winter Soldier then I am well interested. As in a political/spy thriller but no need for crashing helicarriers, at the end. Make the stakes high, of course, but Widow is just a highly trained operative. Let's keep it a human level story.

Jane Thor has never interested me in the slightest TBH (Frog Thor even less so) and it's going to get a bit silly if loads of people can wield the hammer. They seeded the Cap idea, from Ultron, and even that felt like fan service. Thor is Thor, no matter the hammer enchantment. He is a Germanic/Norse god.
    Iron Man can be whomever is in the suit, Captain America is a title to be bestowed on someone
    I always thought that Spidey was Parker (too much hand waving to give someone else the same powers, even with the spider bites, unless you go multi-verse)
    Superman is Clark but Batman can be whomever takes up the mantle.
    Green Lantern is a corp of soldiers given a magic ring but Jon Jones is the Martian Manhunter
    Some characters are the hero while others are people being a hero, the only time I can think of a proper handover from such a hero character is X23 becoming Wolverine.

Mandarin? Nope. That needed to be Tony Stark's mega nemesis, no interest in post Tony.
    Eternals? Meh
    I don't know if it is Cumberbatche's faux accent or what but Strange just in not grabbing me (And I love that character)

Make Blade an R-rated film or fvck right off. Make that a hard R and yeah, I'm interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

I actually watched captain marvel last night and it was alot better than I expected. I loved the music! ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 60,628 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Snipes needs a role in Blade.

He deserves it as I believe it was down to his Blade that whole MCU & DCU was kick started off the back of it even though the X -Men gets the credit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Snipes needs a role in Blade.

He deserves it as I believe it was down to his Blade that whole MCU & DCU was kick started off the back of it even though the X -Men gets the credit for it.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. It was actually Joel Schumachers Batman & Robin that launched the current superhero phenomenon.

• Advertisement

Wrong, wrong, wrong. It was actually Joel Schumachers Batman & Robin that launched the current superhero phenomenon.

446b81823a0e3ed88902542d9550131a2ddcdaabaa066fe85f87412b234b1883.jpg?1469554424

Advertisement