Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is Shang Chi the only one who gets more than just his name/group for his first movie?

Captain America: The First Avenger? Also, technically Avengers was called Avengers Assemble here, and there's Spiderman Homecoming too, although he was obviously in Civil War before his own movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Were the Netflix shows ever considered part of the MCU? I know there was mentions of "The Incident" in New York (Which, initially I thought was 9/11 :D ) and Stark industries banners. But I can't remember if they ever really interacted. I only really watched the first series of each of them and kind of lost interest.

As for Ali in Blade. I love him as an actor. Fantastic. But does he have the physicality to pull it off?

Prob mentioned previously but Blase is not going to be part of Phase 4. I think this is a good thing. They don't have to tie EVERYTHING into the one universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Were the Netflix shows ever considered part of the MCU? I know there was mentions of "The Incident" in New York (Which, initially I thought was 9/11 :D ) and Stark industries banners. But I can't remember if they ever really interacted. I only really watched the first series of each of them and kind of lost interest.

As for Ali in Blade. I love him as an actor. Fantastic. But does he have the physicality to pull it off?

Prob mentioned previously but Blase is not going to be part of Phase 4. I think this is a good thing. They don't have to tie EVERYTHING into the one universe.
    I had wondered that myself. Blade is a big intimidating dude, Ali is not.
    He certainly has the acting chops to do well in the role, but physical size, not so much.
    Unless we see a more nimble, athletic, less musclebound Blade.
    From what I remember, Sticky Fingaz isn't a big dude either, like Snipes.

Netflix no but Agents of Shield really was, at the start.
    You had Maria Hill, Lady Siff, Asgardians, the fall of Shield and Massive Hydra Influence (post Winter Soldier), cleaning up after the Dark Elves in London, Kree, along with Coulson's story. It also made reference to Thanos threat happening last season but seems to have completely left the MCU behind this year and is ignoring the snap altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I had wondered that myself. Blade is a big intimidating dude, Ali is not.
    He certainly has the acting chops to do well in the role, but physical size, not so much.
    Unless we see a more nimble, athletic, less musclebound Blade.
    From what I remember, Sticky Fingaz isn't a big dude either, like Snipes.

They are trying to be more inclusive, maybe they are trying to include short men also ;)

• Advertisement

They are trying to be more inclusive, maybe they are trying to include short men also ;)
    Never actually realised Snipes is only 5"9, always thought he was taller.
    He had the build for Blade at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Ali is taller than Snipes, and I'm sure he'll be hitting the gym. Besides, bulk isn't everything - Jon Bernthal is easily the best of the four Frank Castles we've had on screen, despite being the "smallest", for example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's almost like in Hollywood, you can fake things like height, strength and whatnot ;) In a world where Tom Cruise exists and plays 6ft, 5inch Jack Reacher, I think it'll be OK...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think Ali will be great as Blade. Anything I've seen him in he has had a clear presence, especially in Luke Cage, he was the best thing in that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Netflix no but Agents of Shield really was, at the start.
    You had Maria Hill, Lady Siff, Asgardians, the fall of Shield and Massive Hydra Influence (post Winter Soldier), cleaning up after the Dark Elves in London, Kree, along with Coulson's story. It also made reference to Thanos threat happening last season but seems to have completely left the MCU behind this year and is ignoring the snap altogether.

They also show where the intel for the attack on the Hydra castle at the start of AoU and where Fury sourced the helicarrier at the end to save the people of Sokovia.

Once the big bad moved passed Hydra AoS had a less active impact on the MCU and more just nods, like Captain Marvel being saved by the same sort of transfusion that Coulson was. Have to feel that things would have been different if Inhumans was kept as a movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭kerplun k

AoS S07 will be ABCs last Marvel show. I think what your seeing now with Disney+, is Feige taking full control of Marvel TV and will include some proper integration with the MCU. I guess in a way with AoS ending, Feige will have finally weeded out all of Ike Perlmutters influence.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's almost like in Hollywood, you can fake things like height, strength and whatnot ;) In a world where Tom Cruise exists and plays 6ft, 5inch Jack Reacher, I think it'll be OK...
    In fairness, no one thought Cruise should have been Jack Reacher, apart from him and that casting guy who was clearly high as balls :)

I just mean Blade is a physically imposing character, that needs to come across in the new movie to make him look the part.
    Ali is tall, just needs to bulk up a bit (which he probably will) and he should be gravy.

Marvel seem to have that requirement for a lot of their characters anyway (Chris Pratt as an example)

Way easier to put on muscle than it is to gain a few inches, even with Hollywood tricks. If Snipes was deemed to be imposing enough I can't see there being any issue here.

Despite the fanfair at the announcement, I don't expect Blade to be one of the earlier movies in Phase 5. We'll be waiting a while for it

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

I don't remember seeing Stark Industries logos in the Netflix shows.

Calling the Chitari attack on Manhattan "The Incident" always annoyed me. It was an alien invasion, not "some unpleasantness".

Luke Cage was the only one of them to go a little further bu mentioning Justin Hammer and his company, Chitari tech in the bullets that could hurt Cage and someone once called him "Captain America".

While I would have like background references to the movies like discussing Strark on a business news show or something like that they still seemed to fit into the MCU, but the Snap pretty much put an end to any chance off them being MCU canon unless they going to fully acknowledge 50% of the planet being dusted and be affected by it.

Just because Blade is not a part of Phase 4 doesn't mean it ins't a part of the Avengers universe. It is coming much later with Guardian 3, Black Panther 2, etc. but they brought Mahershala Ali to Comic Con because it is a big piece of news that no-one else had and a great way to end the panel.

A new Blade movie has been rumoured for ages and I wasn't much interested because I could see how vampires fit in. However, Doctor Strange has opened a way for the supernatural that fits into their world.

And Mahershala Ali himself approach Feige about the role so I'm interested to see if he is bringing story ideas too.

I haven't read the books but those Reacher movies are great fun and Cruise gives 100% to the action in his films and he loves making movies. And however small Cruise is he could probably kick my arse regardless of how big I am - so I buy him as Reacher. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I haven't read the books but those Reacher movies are great fun and Cruise gives 100% to the action in his films and he loves making movies. And however small Cruise is he could probably kick my arse regardless of how big I am - so I buy him as Reacher. :)

Cruise also does not play a 6"5 guy in the Reacher movies. In the books the guy is a mountain, but they never make Cruise out to be that, at all. In fact i'd say the bathroom scene in the first film is a deliberate poke at the people who went mad about it.

I also had no issue with Cruise in the first film (I've not watched the second), and I think his character fit just fine with everything he was asked to do. Just like he does in M:I

• Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't remember seeing Stark Industries logos in the Netflix shows.

Calling the Chitari attack on Manhattan "The Incident" always annoyed me. It was an alien invasion, not "some unpleasantness".

Luke Cage was the only one of them to go a little further bu mentioning Justin Hammer and his company, Chitari tech in the bullets that could hurt Cage and someone once called him "Captain America".

While I would have like background references to the movies like discussing Strark on a business news show or something like that they still seemed to fit into the MCU, but the Snap pretty much put an end to any chance off them being MCU canon unless they going to fully acknowledge 50% of the planet being dusted and be affected by it.

Just because Blade is not a part of Phase 4 doesn't mean it ins't a part of the Avengers universe. It is coming much later with Guardian 3, Black Panther 2, etc. but they brought Mahershala Ali to Comic Con because it is a big piece of news that no-one else had and a great way to end the panel.

A new Blade movie has been rumoured for ages and I wasn't much interested because I could see how vampires fit in. However, Doctor Strange has opened a way for the supernatural that fits into their world.

And Mahershala Ali himself approach Feige about the role so I'm interested to see if he is bringing story ideas too.

Is what they announced the full part of Phase 5? Or could it extend beyond the 2 years they have announced? were the other phases all 2 years?

Is what they announced the full part of Phase 5? Or could it extend beyond the 2 years they have announced? were the other phases all 2 years?

Feige was intervewed afterwards and confirmed that the timeline that was presented is phase 4. They could tack on a movie to the end (for example Spiderman is usually announced by Sony) but the news over the weekend is more or less Phase 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

kerplun k wrote: »
    AoS S07 will be ABCs last Marvel show. I think what your seeing now with Disney+, is Feige taking full control of Marvel TV and will include some proper integration with the MCU. I guess in a way with AoS ending, Feige will have finally weeded out all of Ike Perlmutters influence.

Runaways is getting a third season on Hulu and don't know about Cloak & Dagger on Freeform. Both supposedly part of the MCU and don't think Feige is involved with them

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Runaways is getting a third season on Hulu and don't know about Cloak & Dagger on Freeform. Both supposedly part of the MCU and don't think Feige is involved with them

Yeah, but all those shows were commissioned after Perlmutter was dropped as CEO of Marvel Entertainment. I think whatever influence he had will completely evaporate with the ending of AoS. I think those other shows will exist in the same vein as Legion or The Gifted. Sure, the Runaways and C&D are technically MCU, but will have zero crossover. But really they are just unconnected Marvel shows. I wouldn’t be surprised if these stop branding themselves as MCU now that Disney+ officially have connected MCU shows.

• Advertisement

Cruise also does not play a 6"5 guy in the Reacher movies. In the books the guy is a mountain, but they never make Cruise out to be that, at all. In fact i'd say the bathroom scene in the first film is a deliberate poke at the people who went mad about it.

I also had no issue with Cruise in the first film (I've not watched the second), and I think his character fit just fine with everything he was asked to do. Just like he does in M:I

The bathroom/hallway fight has got to be one of the best fights in movies.

I think Lee Child himself said there is more to Reacher than just the size and Cruise was able to portray the intimidating, unstoppable nature.

The second film is very good. The extra features really enhance it because they show the fights being staged and rather than inserting finished clips.

What they announced is Phase 4 but Feige didn't say it was the complete Phase 4.

There Phases are not determined b the number of years or movies but by what the overall story is about. Phase 3 was 2016. to 2019 and was half of the Infinity Saga's films (I think)
    I said earlier that Guardians 3., Black Panther 2, etc. would be Phase 5 but they could be Phase 4. Feige did say Captain Marvel 2 too didn't he?

I think Lee Child himself said there is more to Reacher than just the size and Cruise was able to portray the intimidating, unstoppable nature.

He has said the opposite actually
    “Cruise, for all his talent, didn’t have that physicality,” Reacher author Lee Child told the BBC. “I really enjoyed working with Cruise. He’s a really, really nice guy. We had a lot of fun. But ultimately, the readers are right. The size of Reacher is really, really important, and it’s a big component of who he is . . . the idea is that when Reacher walks into a room, you’re all a little nervous just for that first minute.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/11/tom-cruise-jack-reacher-lee-child-reboot

Aside from that, Reacher's size has gotten him in trouble too; with him overestimating his ability Vs others. He assumes he can beat anyone.

Been a long time since I read the books (not a fan or anything, they were in my parents house and were easy reads) but his size is a defining trait to and for the character.

Still really enjoyed the first film, second was meh.

What they announced is Phase 4 but Feige didn't say it was the complete Phase 4.

There Phases are not determined b the number of years or movies but by what the overall story is about. Phase 3 was 2016. to 2019 and was half of the Infinity Saga's films (I think)
    I said earlier that Guardians 3., Black Panther 2, etc. would be Phase 5 but they could be Phase 4. Feige did say Captain Marvel 2 too didn't he?

He confirmed in an interview that it is complete as it stands now, like Phase 3 was until some things got moved around.

Phase 3 between announcement to the last movie was nearly a 5 year period and really only 1 movie got switched (Spiderman movies couldn't have been announced) whereas Phase 4 is just over 2 years from anouncement to the final release. Barring some huge production issue this is it (again they can't announce Spiderman so it could be added).

Actually, with regards to "shaking things up".

If they did, what would you like to see and what would you see as feasible?
    • Do you want a balls-to-the-wall Falcon movie directed by Chad Stahelski (John Wick).
    • Or a cerebral, serious, beautifully shot Guardians of the Galaxy 4 by Denis Villeneuve (Arrival).
    • Or an insightful and interesting Black Panther movie written and directed by Richard Curtiss.
    • Maybe give the Game of Thrones guys all 10 Phase 5 movies but only have plans for 7 and let them wing the last three.
    Seriously though, who would you like to see write/direct which movie? Either of the current lineup or something we haven't seen yet?

I'll start: I'd be interested in seeing a Paul Greengrass standalone "Falcon/
    Next Captain America
    " movie. A proper thriller. The Russo Brothers made Captain America 2 into a tight thriller. And still had flying fortresses, Nazi AI and cyborgs....

I think it would work. The political/military tone would fit as Captain America 2 proved. Mackie has fine acting chops. Greengrass is a pretty well-known director. Maybe not his name but you say "From the director of the Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum" and people would be interested. Endgame
    Have him adjusting as the new Captain America. This way you can limit his time flying and have another Bourne-style bone-cruncher of a car chase

• Maybe give the Game of Thrones guys all 10 Phase 5 movies but only have plans for 7 and let them wing the last three.

Those two shouldn't be let near anything decent ever again after what they did to Game of Thrones.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Those two shouldn't be let near anything decent ever again after what they did to Game of Thrones.

Let's just say some of the suggestions on that list weren't 100% serious....:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They don't even have to make radical changes like hiring some 'out there' director: mostly I'd love the MCU to start looking a little different from film to film; I know folks will go "But Ragnarok / GotG!", but even the former felt a little washed out in places, and they're only the exceptions that prove the rule.

I want to see Marvel let their directors show a little flourish or creativity and step back a little from the "MCU template" that makes each film look & feel the same. God I was BORED watching Spider-Man: Far From Home at times, just the same lazy & generic compositions, blocking, colour grading ... oh god the colour grading. Some properly crunchy stunt-work would be great too, cos at this stage I don't buy into any of the 'danger' of these films.

But then if I'm remembering rumour right, a proposed director for Black Widow left because Marvel were all like "don't worry about the 2nd unit / stunt stuff, we'll take care of that in Post". I don't blame her, 'cos how dispiriting would that be if, straight out the gate, you were told creative control on action scenes - in an action led franchise - would be taken care of by someone else?

The film itself may yet be a total trainwreck, but I was more stimulated by that Joker trailer, its grimy but obviously authorial palette than the last half dozen MCU films.

A choice though for someone truly off-beat?

Marvel brings Sam Raimi back into blockbusters, then step into the background and let him go wild. I didn't always like his goofier sensibilities in those Spider-Man movies, but man they were thrilling and cinematic.

They don't even have to make radical changes like hiring some 'out there' director: mostly I'd love the MCU to start looking a little different from film to film; I know folks will go "But Ragnarok / GotG!", but even the former felt a little washed out in places, and they're only the exceptions that prove the rule.

I want to see Marvel let their directors show a little flourish or creativity and step back a little from the "MCU template" that makes each film look & feel the same. God I was BORED watching Spider-Man: Far From Home at times, just the same lazy & generic compositions, blocking, colour grading ... oh god the colour grading. Some properly crunchy stunt-work would be great too, cos at this stage I don't buy into any of the 'danger' of these films.

But then if I'm remembering rumour right, a proposed director for Black Widow left because Marvel were all like "don't worry about the 2nd unit / stunt stuff, we'll take care of that in Post". I don't blame her, 'cos how dispiriting would that be if, straight out the gate, you were told creative control on action scenes - in an action led franchise - would be taken care of by someone else?

The film itself may yet be a total trainwreck, but I was more stimulated by that Joker trailer, its grimy but obviously authorial palette than the last half dozen MCU films.

A choice though for someone truly off-beat?

Marvel brings Sam Raimi back into blockbusters, then step into the background and let him go wild. I didn't always like his goofier sensibilities in those Spider-Man movies, but man they were thrilling and cinematic.

Agree with this 100%. The Marvel template seems to be giving directors less and less creative freedom. One of the main problems is the VFX of these films, which seems like it is becoming more frequent, and essentially outsources a large portion of the direction of the movie to the VFX department, which then applies it's generic Marvel look.

Marvel even has a crash course for directors for the way they handle this. They are basically reducing their director to puppets.
    https://screenrant.com/marvel-studios-directors-cgi-crash-course

Take Ryan Coogler for example and that crazy final Black Panther fight scene. It looks awful.

You could accuse Coogler of being inexperienced with this type of special effects, and that's why it looked so bad, but my argument against this was his work on Creed and that one take fight scene, it looked amazing. so again, what’s the problem with BP? why are these action scenes so bland and generic, especially when you compare it to some of his work on Creed? If you ask me, I think the answer is that Coogler hadn't got much of a say on the action in BP.

• Advertisement

• Do you want a balls-to-the-wall Falcon movie directed by Chad Stahelski (John Wick).

YES!!

Advertisement