Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's a tough call.
    Definitely not one that needs to be taken right now but it will need to be addressed eventually. Black Panther 2 was certainly going to be one of the most anticipated releases of the next phase of the MCU and I personally think to just drop it without a word would be the wrong thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,374 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The magic of CGI and the fact the full BP suit includes a mask. They could kill the character off at the start of and go from there with a new BP or have Namour replace him

As already mentioned sadly not the time for that talk, let's celebrate the life of CB

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

pjohnson wrote: »
    I doubt we'll see T'Challa again. We shouldn't tbh.

He is a character that means a great deal to people.

It means a lot to have a male black actor in that position in the franchise.

It was an important role to Boseman and he will have discussed the continuation of Black Panther with Feige and Cogler.

I find it hard to believe that he was not in favour of the part being recast.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

flazio wrote: »
    It's a tough call.
    Definitely not one that needs to be taken right now but it will need to be addressed eventually. Black Panther 2 was certainly going to be one of the most anticipated releases of the next phase of the MCU and I personally think to just drop it without a word would be the wrong thing to do.

By drop it do you mean cancel production?

Marvel are not going to cancel Black Panther. Whether they recast T’Challa or pass the suit to a and an existing female character or a new male character the Black Panther/Wakanda story will continue.

The delays caused by Covid give Cogler and Feige plenty of time to decide on the course of action if they had not already done so with Boseman.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Black Panther will continue as its a title. I just dont think it should be as T'Challa. This isn't like recasting Col. Rhodes before he became War Machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,374 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

pity Ibris Elba was already part of the MCU

He would fit in the Black Panther role

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

With the multiverse, you have a way to recast him and go this is T'Challa from this place. Could have Shuri do it (not a fan of that one myself), or maybe M'Baku or W'Kabi. Or use the multiverse to have Killmonger return but having been raised in Wakanda so sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,628 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I doubt they will recast more likely they pass on the mantel of Black Panther just like he took it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭kerplun k

There's something incredibly likable about Tatiana Maslany.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

kerplun k wrote: »
    There's something incredibly likable about Tatiana Maslany.

Agreed! Even though I wasn't mad on Perry Mason, I loved her in it. I really need to get back to finishing Orphan Black soon. Hopefully this gig puts her in the spotlight, she is exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Agreed! Even though I wasn't mad on Perry Mason, I loved her in it. I really need to get back to finishing Orphan Black soon. Hopefully this gig puts her in the spotlight, she is exceptional.

Something always disrupts my viewing when I get to season 3and by time I get back to it I need a recap but I just end up reswatching the whole thing.

And I don't mind because it is a joy to watch. I think maybe I just want the show to last a long time. :P

Going to have to get back to it soon though.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Black Panther will continue as its a title. I just dont think it should be as T'Challa. This isn't like recasting Col. Rhodes before he became War Machine.

I think he is too important a character for many reasons to kill off and should continue. Boseman clearly meant a great deal too everyone who worked with him including Feige.

They will do the right thing here.

What is the opinion on the thread of how the X-Men should be incorporated into the MCU?

There has only a brief mention of "the gifted" in the series but that means people in the MCU have been born with powers.

The mutant community cold have been around for decades but remained hidden. Fury would know put perhaps helped to hide them even from S.H.I.E.L.D. (an thus from the HYDRA double agaents), but why would he never call them to help? Post-Endgame Magneto could decide it is time for Mutants to rise up and the writers can slowly build up the world's fear tthat anyone can be a Mutants over a few films.

The MCU could also reuse the Terragenisus incident from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Apocalypse is exposed to the monolith and both are buried in Egypt. Logan and Sabretooth are both somehow exposed and decades later there is a leak that exposes several people including Xavier and Magneto. They remain hidden but post-Snap there is a massive contamination that causes worldwide Mutations that leads to tragedies. This would be why people fear Mutants but not other heroes like Spider-Man.

Or perhaps Mutants are created by Banner in his Snap. In his sub-conscious he wanted a world where more people could protect themselves and this leads to the creation of more gifted people.

I really don't like that Spidey's identity has been revealed to the world.

I like that the everyman/no-one Parker and this takes that away.

What do all think was the purpose of the reveal? I'm hoping third movie involves Doctor Strange who undoes the reveal. Or that it is an adaptation of One More Day/Brand New Day?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What is the opinion on the thread of how the X-Men should be incorporated into the MCU?

Simple: I don't think they should. The X-Men universe and its cast is wide & deep enough that it can more than justify its own separate universe to the "main" MCU one. Maybe with the rumour that future movies will make more use of the "alternate universe" angle this is what we're going to see.

I know in comics there's canonical difference between Mutants and Inhumans but TBH a huge chunk of comics canon is a convoluted mess trying to reconcile competing myths or concepts. It's DC but read up on "Hawk Girl" for a sense on how ludicrious canon can get when it tries to keep everythign true.. The movies should dispense of all that and just have "The X-Men universe" that tells its own tales of prejudice etc. without the looming confusion of Stark Industries or how things fit in with other established premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    Simple: I don't think they should. The X-Men universe and its cast is wide & deep enough that it can more than justify its own separate universe to the "main" MCU one. Maybe with the rumour that future movies will make more use of the "alternate universe" angle this is what we're going to see.

I know in comics there's canonical difference between Mutants and Inhumans but TBH a huge chunk of comics canon is a convoluted mess trying to reconcile competing myths or concepts. It's DC but read up on "Hawk Girl" for a sense on how ludicrious canon can get when it tries to keep everythign true.. The movies should dispense of all that and just have "The X-Men universe" that tells its own tales of prejudice etc. without the looming confusion of Stark Industries or how things fit in with other established premises.

I kinda agree. My main thought was that X-Men could maybe be some of the people who came back after the snap, and that the snap triggered their mutations (in the same way it was the mind stone that caused Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver's powers). But then you lose the ability to fully utilise the history of the X-Men, how Magneto survived the Holocaust, Logan's long life, Apocalypse being the first mutant way back when.

We know the Multiverse now exists in the MCU. In order not to complicate things, it might be better to keep them separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think he is too important a character for many reasons to kill off and should continue. Boseman clearly meant a great deal too everyone who worked with him including Feige.

They will do the right thing here.

There was already talk that the Blank Panther mantel was going to be passed to Shuri (I would guess in BP3), so I think they will simply go that route - how they would transition without Boseman I have no idea.

pixelburp wrote: »

They are apparently going to though. Feige has said that what they will do with the X-Men/Mutants will be "very different" but that it is a long way off before they join the MCU. I believe the question he was asked was specifically about X-Men in the MCU.

I would like to see lesser known heroes and villains get their own movies, shows or appearances. If the X-Mn joining the MCU affects that then I'd be all for no X-Men in the MCU.

Penn wrote: »
    I kinda agree. My main thought was that X-Men could maybe be some of the people who came back after the snap, and that the snap triggered their mutations (in the same way it was the mind stone that caused Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver's powers). But then you lose the ability to fully utilise the history of the X-Men, how Magneto survived the Holocaust, Logan's long life, Apocalypse being the first mutant way back when.

We know the Multiverse now exists in the MCU. In order not to complicate things, it might be better to keep them separate.

I thought that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver already had powers (that were dormant) but that Hydra used the Infinity Stone to boost them?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

There was already talk that the Blank Panther mantel was going to be passed to Shuri (I would guess in BP3), so I think they will simply go that route - how they would transition without Boseman I have no idea.

The simplest thing to do is the resurrect killmonger and turn him face (to use a pro-wrestling phrase)

I believe Michael B Jordan would be one of the few actors who would be accepted to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

CGI most likely, if they went that route.
    They did it in Star Wars, and to a lesser extent, Fast and Furious.

Shuri is next in line for the throne and therefore to the duties of Black Panther.

Does the story require T'Challa to be present for her to take over? In Civil War he just became King and Black Panther when his father was killed.

There had been complaints that the MCU was a sausage festival but if Shuri does become Black Panther then Phase 4 has a big increase in female heroes.

She-Hulk
    Hawkeye
    Ms. Marvel
    Jane Foster as the Goddess of Thunder
    4 of the Eternals
    Florence Pugh will continue as Black Widow (I assume)
    And Scarlet Witch goes from supporting character to a lead in her own show.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    The simplest thing to do is the resurrect killmonger and turn him face (to use a pro-wrestling phrase)

I believe Michael B Jordan would be one of the few actors who would be accepted to do this.

If they can raise Killmonger from the dead then why not T'Challa ?

And why?

He is not heir to either the throne or the suit. And why resurrect and redeem a dead villain who tore the country apart rather than make Letiha Wright the new lead?

There are only two options that I can see - recast T'Challa or Shuri takes the throne and the title because T'Challa has died.

I thought that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver already had powers (that were dormant) but that Hydra used the Infinity Stone to boost them?

Right, it may be their mutations were dormant and the mind stone triggered them (hence why no one else survived the testing). That's what I'm saying, maybe being brought back from the snap could be what triggers the mutations in other people, leading to the X-Men. So it would explain how Wanda & Pietro got their powers (latent mutation) and why there were no X-Men in the MCU pre-snap, as coming back from the snap trigger their latent mutation too. I'm just not sure it'd be the way to go.

Right, it may be their mutations were dormant and the mind stone triggered them (hence why no one else survived the testing). That's what I'm saying, maybe being brought back from the snap could be what triggers the mutations in other people, leading to the X-Men. So it would explain how Wanda & Pietro got their powers (latent mutation) and why there were no X-Men in the MCU pre-snap, as coming back from the snap trigger their latent mutation too. I'm just not sure it'd be the way to go.

Your idea does make sense. Since the Mind Stone was significant to the Maximoff's power boost (or whatever) and is a part of the Snap then it could wake up every Mutant gene.

And your idea also allows for Logan, Xavier, Magneto ad others to have powers going back years as it would be logical that some mutations were strong enough to appear without a boost.

If we still years away from the X-men coming to the MCU Magneto's origins as a Holocaust survivor isn't going to work.

If we still years away from the X-men coming to the MCU Magneto's origins as a Holocaust survivor isn't going to work.

I don't think there'd be much issue having him be the son of a Holocaust survivor, as it could still give him the same ideals. Or add slow-aging to his powers whether through natural mutation or science (eg. him being experimented on or similar). But the more you do things like that, the more it complicates things, and so the best idea might just be let them have their own universe. They have enough unique characters to be able to sustain it, and there's still potential for them occasionally interacting with the main MCU through the multiverse if a big enough story comes along that facilitates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They're opening it to the multiverse in the next doctor strange, it's probably go along with that for FF and mutants.

Varik wrote: »
    They're opening it to the multiverse in the next doctor strange, it's probably go along with that for FF and mutants.

Fantastic Four will be in the MCU.

There is no need for them to be in or fro another dimension.

I don't think there'd be much issue having him be the son of a Holocaust survivor, as it could still give him the same ideals. Or add slow-aging to his powers whether through natural mutation or science (eg. him being experimented on or similar). But the more you do things like that, the more it complicates things, and so the best idea might just be let them have their own universe. They have enough unique characters to be able to sustain it, and there's still potential for them occasionally interacting with the main MCU through the multiverse if a big enough story comes along that facilitates it.

There is a lot of characters in the superhero and mutant line up how do if they mix them then is going to be a lot of characters that will never see the light of day.

The MCU hasn’t even scratched the surface when it comes to villains.

Maybe it would be best to keep them separate..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

DrumSteve wrote: »

Killmonger was so set in his beliefs that he killed himself in the end rather than let them help him. I don't see how they go a route of resurrecting him and giving him the Black Panther powers without completely ruining the character (something I don't think Jordan would be open to).

Shuri is such a logical fit for it.

Advertisement