Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Couldn't Marvel just buy the rights for Spider-Man outright from Sony?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Couldn't Marvel just buy the rights for Spider-Man outright from Sony?

I would imagine that that would be ridiculously expensive given what Spider Man is worth in terms of box office. I'm sure that idea has already been suggested in the Marvel/Disney boardroom

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I read somewhere last week Sony looking for Star Wars money to gives the rights back.

Thats a in the billions so can see Marvel/Disney paying that for Spiderman.

I read somewhere last week Sony looking for Star Wars money to gives the rights back.

Thats a in the billions so can see Marvel/Disney paying that for Spiderman.

I hear the exchange rate between US$ and Tattooine$ is very good at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Lol at Sony if that's true, they must really be in trouble if they're looking for billions for a franchise that has been exhausted under their stewardship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Lol at Sony if that's true, they must really be in trouble if they're looking for billions for a franchise that has been exhausted under their stewardship.

One has nothing to do with the other. Just common sense that they would want massive money for something that is worth...massive money.

Here is the thing Spiderman is burned out at Sony 5 films in 12 years and reboot in that time.

Spiderman & The Sinister Six won't get Sony on to the Superhero money train that the MCU, X-Men Universe & The DC/Warner films are on.

If Sony were smart they would sell back the rights to Marvel/Disney for a good cash price and a % backend on each film Spiderman is in for the next 20 years.

Otherwise Spiderman will sit on the shelf for a long time making no one money and probably revert back to Marvel/Disney for free in the end anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

ANT-MAN rumoured to tie in with Captain America: Civil War

http://www.starlog.com/rumor-how-will-ant-man-connect-to-captain-america-3/

Really not seeing the point of bringing in Ant-Man and having Stark create Ultron

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Really not seeing the point of bringing in Ant-Man and having Stark create Ultron

The character was not introduced in time to have him as such a crucial part of the next Avengers movie. Stark is a well established, massively popular character and fits perfectly with the creation of Ultron. Makes perfect sense to me.

Also, it sounds like we'll be losing an Avenger or two in the coming movies so introducing Ant Man later allows him to slot in and replace the outgoing Avenger without bloating the team member count.

• Advertisement

I have a feeling Ant-Man could be introduced in Agent Carter next month with a cameo in one of the episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

An email sent by Marvel president warning Sony about the mistakes of ASM 2

B5M-ePRIgAAhwrY.png
    B5M-eOPIMAA0F61.png

cloud493 wrote: »
    An email sent by Marvel president warning Sony about the mistakes of ASM 2

B5M-ePRIgAAhwrY.png
    B5M-eOPIMAA0F61.png

I stopped reading that pretty sharpish. The fact that he says that it was meant to be a prequel to the first trilogy sums up the idiocy. Yes, a prequel, to even ****ing before Spider-Man was Spider-Man. :rolleyes:

The darkness of the storyline wasn't the problem either I'd argue, rather it was the absolute disastrous strategy towards the villains.

The dark ending to TASM2 was the only thing they actually did well as it was something they developed properly from the first film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I stopped reading that pretty sharpish. The fact that he says that it was meant to be a prequel to the first trilogy sums up the idiocy. Yes, a prequel, to even ****ing before Spider-Man was Spider-Man. :rolleyes:

The darkness of the storyline wasn't the problem either I'd argue, rather it was the absolute disastrous strategy towards the villains.

The dark ending to TASM2 was the only thing they actually did well as it was something they developed properly from the first film.

I agree with parts of this. The notes are ridiculous in some parts because they assume the premise of the films should be somethig they're not (prequels in an existing canon).

The darkness of the story isn't 'the' problem with the movie but it's definitely one of them. Spider-man should be fun and this movie was not at all fun. They tried for grit with a character who is the exact opposite of grit. The fact that Spider-man is NOT gritty is not only his charm, it's his defining characteristic. He's the wise-cracking, happy-go-lucky hero. There's tragedy in his life, sure, but he soldiers on in spite of it and does his best to get past it.

Agree again with you that the death at the end is one of the best parts of the movie (because of the acting involved) but completely agree with the notes that it was premature. It should have been planned to happen in the third movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Bacchus wrote: »

I think it would be quite refreshing (and welcomed by audiences) to have one of the MCU movies NOT end with a "hero saves the world" scenario. If the heroes keep on winning every time, audiences will grow weary of the same thing over and over. Their biggest problem right now is their villains, they are disposable and generic. Only Loki has any traction with audiences.

how many films have they mad and he is the only one that I can actually remember

I don't even find Loki to be that memorable of a villain. Hiddleston does a great job but if I compared him to Ledger's Joker he's not exactly the ground breaking character some like to portray him as.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I don't even find Loki to be that memorable of a villain. Hiddleston does a great job but if I compared him to Ledger's Joker he's not exactly the ground breaking character some like to portray him as.

Thread is " Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff ". Ledgers Joker is not relevant to this thread

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Thread is " Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff ". Ledgers Joker is not relevant to this thread

Why not?

It was just a comparison to illustrate that Marvel don't put enough into their villains to make them memorable. I'm sure Ultron and Thanks will buck that trend though.

It was just a comparison to illustrate that Marvel don't put enough into their villains to make them memorable. I'm sure Ultron and Thanks will buck that trend though.

Thanos?

Don't defend the comment (while I disagree so you can defend the sentiment?) it is perfectly valid to use a stand out performane from their competitor as a comparison.

I don't agree though, Red Skull was good as was Redford and the Dude (Tony Stark built it in a cave... With a box of SCRAPS ). Loki's performances all depend on where they are going, they could be outstanding in how subtle things play (or unfulfilling admittedly)

Mandarin was a disaster for anyone wanting a serious Iron Man arc, outside Avengers.

• Advertisement

Yeah Thanos, bloody auto correct!

Don't get me wrong all the actors do a good job (I actually thought Pace did a great job as Ronan until they made a goof of him towards the end).

I just think that likes of Hiddleston and Pace can be given so much more to do than what they're getting.

Totally agree with Ronan but he was always on a hiding to nothing. Thanos was the big bad here even though barely there. It was to introduce Guardians and Nebula with a disposable Little Bad.

Still think that Loki is playing the long game that will tie in subtle actions over last few films

• Registered Users Posts: 16,456 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I don't think he meant literal prequel (or that wasn't the tone I read it in), but a prequel for the character as a high school kid, and allowing stories to develop from that setting.

I am Groot...Vin wants another role in the MCU. This is the cover of his Facebook page.

10848737_10153044404438313_8580845131336142974_o.jpg

Are the obelisks in AoS anyway related to the infinity stones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Are the obelisks in AoS anyway related to the infinity stones?

No, they tie in to
    The Inhumans movie which is scheduled for late 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The trend continues of trailers for trailers:

Plus an ant man trailer, very cheeky, I have no idea what it shows though

Wasn't RDJ's new contract only for Avengers 2 & 3? I wonder does that include 3 part 2

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Wasn't RDJ's new contract only for Avengers 2 & 3? I wonder does that include 3 part 2

Most likely it would as they will film 3 part one and two back to back, remember he is signed on to FILM Avengers 3, they could FILM it as one movie and release it as 2.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote:
    Most likely it would as they will film 3 part one and two back to back, remember he is signed on to FILM Avengers 3, they could FILM it as one movie and release it as 2.

You're probably right but I think we're all agreed that part 1 needs to end on a downer only for the Avengers to make good in part 2. The direction they're heading with Stark in AoU and CW it would be pretty interesting of they killed him off at the end of part 1. It's never gonna happen but it just occurred to me with the whole contract situation. Again though you're probably right.

Advertisement