Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's status is 🤷 Amazon cancelled it though yes, but there are three remaining books - not sure if the creators were/are shopping around though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

So saw Thor last weekend. Long post in the Thor thread so won't post it here but long story short, it was disappointing. While some of this was down to the film itself, I think some of it is also down to the oft-mentioned Superhero Fatigue.

Someone mentioned above that one of the issues with this phase is the lack of an endpoint/path. Is it some vague Multiverse threat? (Think of the toys they could sell!!! How many dead characters they could bring back?) Is it something to do with that shadow group post credit in Black Widow/Falcon & The Winter Soldier?..... Is it Harry Stiles?

I enjoyed the drip feed of The Avengers formation/Thanos in the previous movies.

I enjoyed the TV series to various degrees but I personally am just trudging through the movies at this stage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What Phase 1 had going for it was simplicity: there were what, 6 Main Characters to work in? 7-9 total if we count Loki, Nick Fury etc. That lead to an incredibly straightforward, easy-to-follow arc and set of characters.

Phase 4 is proceeding and if we count the TV shows there's an almost bewildering number of Main Characters; where do you begin if you're a casual viewer, not up to speed with (say) Wanda Maximoff's current status? And that's before you get into the true madness of keeping tabs on the Post Credits Scene. Dozens of overlaps, arcs, double-crosses and so on.

There's a good reason why the comics periodically reset their universes: there's often an insurmountable level of story bollix preventing simply dipping in and out of characters. Better to One More Day it than keep piling on the plot polyfila.

I don't know how you solve that problem; heck I don't know that it IS a problem, given none of the Phase 4 films have exactly underperformed financially - bar perhaps the understandable CoVid releases. But certainly from a personal point of view, as someone who would have known the Broad Strokes of most of the MCU cast from the comics - it has become like homework trying to keep track of Who's Who.

It's become as dense as comics and will become unpenetrable to casual viewers, or viewers who like any one particular property.

Earlier phases films were stand alone, with tentpole events. You could pretty much ignore films you did not like.

Now? Must watch several streams on D+ or risk not following the next film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

That's how superhero comics become impenetrable to audiences. It's the logical endpoint. Eventually, people will dip in and out of various series or follow certain arcs that only refer to some movies and not others. I hate it and it's why I much prefer standalone graphic novels to ongoing series.

People need to stop assuming everything is going to coalesce into a neat storyline that takes advantage of every hero and introduced threat, as it did before. It's simply not possible and probably isn't even desirable to Disney, since they seem to be introducing a new MCU show every quarter to stabilise their share price.

Something that Disney should consider worrying though is that the expectations they have encouraged have left a situation where a bad movie is redeemed in some fans' eyes by a post-credits reveal or a good movie is maligned because it doesn't move the overarching narrative forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

One other thing. It is absolutely insane that everything on the below list was released IN THE PAST 18 MONTHS!

Films

Black Widow

Shang-Chi

The Eternals

Spider-Man

Dr Strange 2

TV

Wandavision

Falcon and Winter Soldier

Loki

What If?

Hawkeye

Moon Knight

Ms Marvel

Yes. I wonder what people who had not seen Wandavision thought of Dr Strange? Sure, there was some comments filling people in but I'm sure many people may have been thinking "Wait, why is she dressed like that? Who are the kids? Isn't she a good guy?"

Whereas previously the links in general were fun little Easter Eggs, now they are getting to be more and more essential. Example: What about Captain America four? "Wait, isn't he Falcon? Oooooooooh yeah... Years ago didn't he get the shield in that 2 min sequence at the end of that cycle of films? Yeah, now I remember... Huh"

As you say, big part (issue?) in the comics that gets purged every 10-15 years or so: Crisis n Infinite Earths etc (I know they did this in the Arrowverse on TV. I only saw a couple of the episodes but it seems like they did a great job. Batman Animated Series' Kevin Conroy playing Kingdom Come Batman was pretty cool).

There is no doubt, the MCU caught/created a moment with the first batches. And I say fair play. It was a risky move, tying them all together tighter and tighter as they went on (Civil War was, let's not forget, NOT an Avengers movie. Not even an Iron-Man movie but a Captain America movie). But I think that that moment is over. And, TBH, I think they think so too. I believe the initial intention MAY have been to start cycling up the next Thanos. The next big over-arching big bad but I'd say now it's probably going to go down more fractured/individual paths. I mean, why not? Why NOT have Captain America go down the spy patch laid out by Falcon & The Winter Soldier and Black Sparrow and Hawkeye? Why NOT have Dr Strange do his thing (I can't remember if there was a credit setup. I just remember Bruce Campbell beating himself up ala Ash). Why NOT have Thor go up against Jesus like Thor 4 setup (Just kidding. But I'd watch that). Why NOT have The Eternals fight Harry Stiles or work with him (I wish that was Just Kidding)?

But yeah. I was interested to watch Sr Strange 2 mainly 'cos of Raimi. Was interested in Thor mainly 'cos of Waititi. Am SORT of interested in Black Panther 2 because of Colger and also to see what they can do post Boseman. But then? Nah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The post-credit scenes - at least the non-jokey / epilogue ones - have become parodies of MCU post-credit scenes.

They used to tease the upcoming film - usually a sort of 'next time on...' deal, or a tease of a really major character. Now it's very much Kevin Feige throwing actors' names and unused Marvel characters into a random number generator and seeing what emerges. The Eternals, Dr Strange 2 and Thor 4 have all had 'Hey, you recognise this person! They might show up again at some point. Maybe!' scenes.

Ms marvel just shuck up the whole mcu and changed it forever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I DO recognise that person and that's released a chemical in my brain which makes me feel good.

Marvel is awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

This has to get a play

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As a classic Simpsons fan who stopped watching several dozen seasons ago, it's realllllly weird hearing the voices of the characters in 'nu Simpsons'. Bart at the end of that clip 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I dont see it being an issue of being unpenetrable for the casual viewer and the box office for the movies points to that.

True casuals can dip in and out of the MCU or any big franchises with no real problem as the dialogue usually gives you all the information you need to know, even it is at times clunky. There is always a character that isnt in the loop who gets the situation explained to them. Latest Thor movie was close to a standalone as most early phase movies. No casual expects or wants to know every detail and every wink.

Where I find these type of complaints far more regularly come from are those who watch 75-90% of MCU and then get frustrated that they don't know the references to the other small percentage from the movies/shows they haven't watched. There is a risk you might turn off those people but if anything I'd say it is far more likely they'll begrudgingly end up watching the shows they havent than switch off completely.

I wouldn't go that far. Somebody said the "M word". I'm sure it'll be expanded on in the Marvels without people who haven’t seen this feeling clued out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I mean the random number generator comment is a bit silly , I get that too normal movie people these cameos probably mean nothing but to comic book fans everyone watching Doctor Strange would have known who that woman at the end was especially after making his peace with Christine aswell , this is the next logical step and the incursion they talked about could be part of the next big mutli hero problem in the MCU

as for Thor him and Hercules have had many battles again in the comics , there's an awful lot more wrong with Thor than the post credit scene

I really didn't care for the film, but I would agree that aside from a glorified cameo from the Guardians, Thor: Love and Thunder is basically standalone from anything else happening in the MCU at the moment. The only real links are to the previous Thor films, which can't really be complained about since it is a sequel to those films :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,154 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Agreed. Many people want some direction on where the movies are going next and usually the post credit scene give some nod to that - either on a small or large scale.

It was just easier for people to join the dots previously when it came to Nick Fury and the Avengers set-up and Thanos. Now it more comic book readers who get the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Supposed leaks from the MCU have listed those actors considered for the Fantastic Four and Doctor Doom as

Penn Badgley is favourite to play Reed Richards according to reports

Melissa Benoist & Natalia Dyer are being considered to play Sue Storm

Logan Lerman to play Johnny Storm

Jharrel Jerome to play Ben Grimm

And they want Simon Baker as Doctor Doom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Oooooo that first Sue Storm option would be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,189 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah the second Sue Storm option, not so much

In Stranger Things she looked like a breeze would break her in half. so not exactly someone I would see as a Superhero, unless she's able to bulk up.

You know, at 42 Jessica Alba isn't really too old to reprise the role if she wanted to. In fact it might be interesting to cast Reed and Sue a bit older than we're used to, would give Marvel Studios a newer angle to explore with the characters.

Yeah, isn't she worth over a billion now? Fair play

Interesting cast list, if true. Very much steering away from Big Names (from a mainstream PoV).

Re. Dyer. Her slim build might kinda work though, cos why would Sue need muscle mass anyway? She turns invisible, strength is meaningless so a thin, lithe Sue Storm could be an option. More a case where I'm not sure about Dyer's ability; her character's a bit 🤷 in ST so couldn't say what the actor is like.

The company is worth 1-2 Billion but she only ownes about 7% now so "only" 100Million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Also part of that report is they wanted Spielberg to direct it and pitched it to him.

I've seen videos circulating from a Disney cruise of an Avengers themed dinner party with a semi interactive video playing through the dinner depicting a mini Avengers adventure taking place on the ship. Interesting to note who got involved with it, you have Scott and Hope, Sam in his post FATWS Captain America outfit, Carol Danvers and, introducing, Kamala Kahn. All in their full hero outfits. It's just a bit of non canon fun (unless Ultron is alive again) kind of like what you see in queues for theme rides, but interesting to see Iman Vellani screen tested alongside Anthony Mackie. She looks good.

• Advertisement

Apparently it was just a cameo and nod towards a long-standing fan casting favourite.

Advertisement