Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxigen Pay by weight Cavan

Options
  • 10-08-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Just back to mullagh after a few weeks away and have a letter from oxigen about compulsory switching to a pay by weight service.

At the moment it costs approx €20 to put both black and green bin out, which I do approx every 6 to 8 weeks. So a year usually costs around €150. I top up the online account everytime I put the bins out by the exact amount so no money ever sitting in the account

They say the new system is eu directed and they now want €85 every six months standing charge and 28c per kg for black bin and 15c per kg for green bin. At a rough guess my black bin usually weighs well over 50kgs when its put out. So effectively the costs double for me. They also want €30 minimum left in the account at all times.

I haven't called them yet as its sunday but will call tomorrow and ask why the cost is effectively doubled for the same service. The letter they sent was dated 11th July and the new system started 14th July, so 3 days notice to pay €85 for a 6 month standing charge + €30 minimum + whatever the bin lift actually costs, around €135 altogether. What a fcukin joke.

Has anyone else any info on this, are the other providers the same story or is pay by lift still available elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

im with AES, and pay every six months.. they dont offer a pay by weight, but a pay by lift, but for me i was saving very little, its still over 300 euro a yr

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Think I'm gonna go with €25 per month direct debit with allied. Pay by lift suited me fine but obviously these companies want guaranteed steady income. Yes I'll pay more with direct debit anyway but this pay by weight is nonsense imo.

Just thought is was fairly sneaky by oxigen to effectively double the price with very little notice all under the guise of some eu directive. The letter read like they were being forced to double the cost by the big bad eu.

Funnily enough the woman I talked to in oxigen today had no clue about this eu directive and said they were losing a lot of customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I pay be weight with Wilton. Was with Cavan Waste. My bills have halved. About 220p/a.

They take all the cardboard you can throw at them including large pieces left to the side at no extra cost. Their food bin is poor, tiny and already has been eaten by animals so requires a brick on top. You also get a glass bin which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 glasses16

I also received that letter for €85 per 6 mths, also just got txt msg offering €21 per month, smaller black bin, no bins wil be weighed under this option. Can't decide which option to go with. Although the €85 per 6 mths would be cheaper, but how much is it going to cost with the bins being weighed every time they're left for collection. Any advice??

Its 28c per kilo for black bin and 12c for green. I don't know about you but my black bin would be at least 50kgs when I put it out. So at least €10 everytime its put out. Add that to €85 per 6 months and its not cheap. I wasn't offered any €21 deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

Hi debabyjesus, just wondering if you went with Oxigen or just cancelled. Just checked my account and I'm -€30, is this the standing charge? Effectively then it'll cost me circa €50 to have my bins collected, is this right?

I stayed with oxigen for the monthly direct debit €21 iirc for big green bin and small black bin. My account went into the red aswell. That pay by weight is joke. I've got loads of stuff to clear out so it suits me at the moment, once I clear out as much stuff as I can I'll probably cancel and move to another provider still doing pay by lift.

Not sure why you're showing minus €30. They want 85 every six months and initial top up of 30 so 115 altogether. Your first weighed lift comes out of that 30 and then you top up as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

It looks as though they've starting taking €15/month standing charge even though I haven't used them, this equals what I was paying with the pay per lift, before I even pay for the bins now, basically as you said doubling their price. Think I'll cancel them after this lift, I'm living close enough to the landfill to make a trip once a week.

daithip wrote: »
    It looks as though they've starting taking €15/month standing charge even though I haven't used them, this equals what I was paying with the pay per lift, before I even pay for the bins now, basically as you said doubling their price. Think I'll cancel them after this lift, I'm living close enough to the landfill to make a trip once a week.

Yep it literally doubles the cost. How are we supposed to know what the bin weighs? Just take their word for it? No thanks. Fella down the road here got charged for 116kgs in a black bin. 116x0.28=€32 for 1 bin! Maybe he was dumping concrete blocks who knows or maybe it was pub talk.

Im going to take full advantage of the direct debit for a few months and then look elsewhere. I'll be sickened if I miss a lift!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

glasses16 wrote: »
    I also received that letter for €85 per 6 mths, also just got txt msg offering €21 per month, smaller black bin, no bins wil be weighed under this option. Can't decide which option to go with. Although the €85 per 6 mths would be cheaper, but how much is it going to cost with the bins being weighed every time they're left for collection. Any advice??

My parents have been on this for the last number of years. it was originally €20 but went up a few years back by €1. We have a smaller black bin and normal sized green bin. any glass etc we take to the recycling bins in the local town and we also bought a compost bin somewhere so our bins are never full when collected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement