Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Dublin with my 6 year old nephew

Options
  • 10-08-2014 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi, my nephew will be staying with me for a week tomorrow while his parents are away. I've got time off work and I'd like to do something interesting with him. I have no kids so I'm at a bit of a loss as to how I can keep him entertained.

He really likes classic cars and the national history museum of all places. I live in Howth, so of course I'll look into going to the Transport Museum one of the days. We'll be out and about in my classic car, but otherwise I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do with him.

I'd like to keep it local, Dublin/Kildare/Meath. I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

St. Anne's Park has some cool stuff for smaller kids. Zip wire, BMX track, remote controlled car place (though it helps if someone actually has a car there when you're there).
    Trees to climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I don't know if he likes football but you could take him to an Airtricity League game on either Friday or Monday evening if he does.

Friday-
    Bohemians vs Drogheda United at Dalymount Park, Phibsboro, D7 @ 7:45

St Patricks Ath vs UCD at Richmond Park, Inchicore, D8 @ 8PM

Bray Wanderers vs Sligo Rovers at Carlisle Grounds, Bray, Co Wicklow. (Added bonus of taking the dart if he loves transport, ground is right beside it)

There's also a round of games on Monday evening. Adults €15, Kids €5

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Also, Tayto Park near Ashbourne or Fort Lucan would be perfect for a kid his age but you'd wanna check the weather forecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

spurious wrote: »
    St. Anne's Park has some cool stuff for smaller kids. Zip wire, BMX track, remote controlled car place (though it helps if someone actually has a car there when you're there).
    Trees to climb.

St Annes is my local park, so we'll go down there one of the evenings. There are loads of things to explore there.

Thanks.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Also, Tayto Park near Ashbourne or Fort Lucan would be perfect for a kid his age but you'd wanna check the weather forecast.

Good call. I never thought of either. I always wanted to check out Tayto park myself.

He isn't a huge fan of football unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Newbridge Farm is worth a visit if he also likes animals http://www.newbridgehouseandfarm.com/joomla/

If the weather is good, nip down to Scrumdiddlys for an ice cream https://www.facebook.com/scrumdiddlysworld

St Annes Park is nearby and has a playground, but if he's on his own - might get bored.

You've also got Bull Island nearby for a walk along the dunes and if the wind is good - you'll see some kitesurfers.

zAbbo wrote: »
    Newbridge Farm is worth a visit if he also likes animals
    If the weather is good, nip down to Scrumdiddlys for an ice cream
    St Annes Park is nearby and has a playground, but if he's on his own - might get bored.

You've also got Bull Island nearby for a walk along the dunes and if the wind is good - you'll see some kitesurfers.

Newbridge is another place he would like. And I'm sure he would appreciate a trip to Scrumdiddlys, as would I!

One of my concerns is he'll get bored from being on his own. My girlfriend has a niece who is around his age too so we'll try and organise a trip somewhere with 4 of us hopefully but obviously he might be bored on other days.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

What about calling in to the library for books on classic cars or to see if they have any activities going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Viking splash tour - he will LOVE it!

Also second Tayto Park and Newbridge Farm. And a day at the beach. All kids love the beach. You will have to get into the water with him though :)

What about calling in to the library for books on classic cars or to see if they have any activities going on?

Ah, my local library usually have kids activities on, I do recall they had an art thing for kids a while ago. I'll look into that.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Viking splash tour - he will LOVE it!

Also second Tayto Park and Newbridge Farm. And a day at the beach. All kids love the beach. You will have to get into the water with him though :)

Living so close to the beach, we will have to go down one day! I suppose that might be the best day to bring along my girlfriend and her niece.

Thanks for the suggestions btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

The Zoo, it can be a full day out with lots to see if he is happy to walk, but you don't have to see it all in the one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

Dublin airport to watch the planes? I know I loved going when I was a child, more than anything else! In fact I still love going to see them.

The Zoo, it can be a full day out with lots to see if he is happy to walk, but you don't have to see it all in the one day.

Yes, my girlfriend suggested the Zoo also. Been a while since I've been there myself.

Cheers!

TheBoss11 wrote: »
    Dublin airport to watch the planes? I know I loved going when I was a child, more than anything else! In fact I still love going to see them.

I love plane spotting too! Not sure how much he'd like it though!

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

I have three children around that age and they love doing any of the following on a day out:

Cycling/ Picnic in a park

Playgrounds in lots of parks (e.g. Marlay Park, Ardgillan Castle, Newbridge House)

Any trip on a bus or train

Fort Lucan

Tayto Park

Rathbeggan Lakes

National Aquatic Centre

Cinema

Building sandcastles on a grand scale (with adult's help) - fortresses with a moat and bridge

Chocolate wrote: »
    I have three children around that age and they love doing any of the following on a day out:

Cycling/ Picnic in a park

Playgrounds in lots of parks (e.g. Marlay Park, Ardgillan Castle, Newbridge House)

Any trip on a bus or train

Fort Lucan

Tayto Park

Rathbeggan Lakes

National Aquatic Centre

Cinema

Building sandcastles on a grand scale (with adult's help) - fortresses with a moat and bridge

Thanks, I like some of those suggestions, especially building a fortress!

Advertisement