Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TheJournal.ie: "Dogs left for days without food and water in ISPCA run shelter"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

time lord wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/ispca-shelter-1613009-Aug2014/?utm_source=email

I'd hope this story was sensationalised just to ease my mind but the public's trust is definitely tested towards the I.S.P.C.A. as a consequence in my opinion.

ISPCA run pounds have for years been amongst the worst in the country in terms of facilities and PTS rates. <snip>
    Of the 10 pounds with the highest kill rates, 7 are run by the ISPCA. Dogs are put down for quite arbitrary reasons made on hearsay and by people who have no behavioural expertise.
    Reform is long overdue with regard to how the ISPCA manage dog pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

I wonder is it run by staff volunteers or both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

It is run by paid staff. <snip>

The running of these pounds is completely at odds to what the ISPCA profess to stand for. On one hand they'll rescue godforsaken animals, mostly when there's a tv camera nearby, on the other they will put to sleep many healthy and perfectly rehomeable dogs just because they happened to end up in one of their own pounds.

I for one am glad this story is out there. If it means that just one more person is educated about this organisations conflict of interest then it can't be a bad thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi all,
    I'm sorry, but I've had to edit some posts to remove hearsay and potentially libellous content: I'm not disputing the veracity of it, and if you can provide some verifiable source for the info I've had to edit out, please do so.
    Otherwise, discuss away, but just be a little careful about what you're saying please!
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

I think if a pounds p.t.s. rate is low compared to a neighbouring countys, one cannot discount the fact that in a given county only a certain numerical demand for dogs exists annually. With pounds having to a perform statuary local authority function their p.t.s rate can be greatly skewed by rescues taking dogs off their books after the 5 days.
    We I think have a weak culture of spaying and neutering. I often debate the point with well intentioned people that they would be better off tackling things on a structured educational front rather than taking in animals into a new rescue that all too quickly snows them under with costs and just too many animals to deal with. It's a less traditional role for an animal lover who wishes to change things but every bit as important as running a rescue i.m.o.
    I live in a large county and there is next to nobody doing this. The mouth of the river is to late a place to change its course is what I tell the people when I chat with any groups.
    Some fantastic rescues out there but too many bad ones. Education, enforcement and hands on animal welfare are the most potent force for the good of the animals. Each on their own is weak. I was in a country school last year. 96 students. They had 105 dogs between them about 10 were licenced and close to single figures spayed or neutered. Some were working dogs but very few got a walk, can't remember the figure but it was low too. Oh and last but not least lots had their name on their dogs collar with no contact details with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

time lord wrote: »

I'd hope this story was sensationalised just to ease my mind

I heard the details and sadly it's rather underreported. The management is in talks with the charities who alerted to this situation, hopefully it will lead to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 maura rua

This incident was reported in the Sunday Times, The Sunday World and the journal.ie on Sunday August 10th.
    Unfortunately it is not the first time this happened. Blind faith in any organisation is a thing of the past, all publicly funded organisations must be subject to scrutiny, particularly charities in receipt of substantial government grants and public donations.

Advertisement