Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former Caseys Athlone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Return of William Hill?

I kid. Was just in blancherstown other day passing eBay site and recalled their brief flirtation with the site in athlone.

Pretty sure ticketmaster also once considered it.

Must have the curse on it.2 closures since building it 15 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

I work accross the road from it and word on the street is that it's going to be an Opel Dealership......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Keithmc40

Ćolm Quinn BMW have bought it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Keithmc40 wrote: »
    Ćolm Quinn BMW have bought it

why?
    they've a great location where they are - much more passing cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

Any proof of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

A good spot for a Kia or Hyundai dealership...

Kia and Hyundai already in Mullingar. Would they put two in Westmeath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

My source (and take it with a pinch, friend of a friend who knows them) said that they are branching out to Opel. Business is booming on the BMW front and they are expanding etc.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    My source (and take it with a pinch, friend of a friend who knows them) said that they are branching out to Opel. Business is booming on the BMW front and they are expanding etc.....

Opel.ie no longer lists O'Meara's as an Opel dealer, I didn't know they were gone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

Opel.ie no longer lists O'Meara's as an Opel dealer, I didn't know they were gone...

Happened last year. Mother got a letter to that but they would still deal with Opel. Etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

There was a Kia dealership in Monksland but the garage have lost the dealership. From my hubbie who went to get something repaired on his Kia last month and they were very evasive with him about doing work or ordering parts...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

AFAIK O'Brien's are the region 1 Opel dealers in Tullamore in the new Renault / Dacia garage. Same with Fitzpatrick's doing Hyundai (who are also moving I heard)

O'Meara's los the Opel dealership a while back unfortunately.

Lot of dealers changing suppliers in the last 12 months.

O'Briens in Mullingar also have Renault/Dacia and a seperate Hyundai garage.
    they must be doing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Keithmc40

colm quinn is putting a landrover dealership in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Keithmc40 wrote: »
    colm quinn is putting a landrover dealership in it

Sound move - You need a Landrover now to get around town given the state of the roads.

Long Gone wrote: »
    Sound move - You need a Landrover now to get around town given the state of the roads.
    every town in Ireland seems to be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

A year on and i see it is back on the market

http://www.daft.ie/commercial/dublin-road-athlone-westmeath/98820/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Maybe William Hill will come back in for it. Good times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Absolutely LOVE the way they mention its location close to the new Chinese hub.

Not sure whether the inflated price or the above is bigger BS to be honest.

Absolutely LOVE the way they mention its location close to the new Chinese hub.

Not sure whether the inflated price or the above is bigger BS to be honest.

The new Chinese Hub ? ? ! - I thought that idea had got the Chop Suey years ago ?

A Chinese Hub never had a hope in hell of being built so far from a proper International Airport with decent international connections. And before anyone starts that does not include Knock ! ! Incidentally, Knock Airport should have been built in Athlone. It would have opened up real industrial and tourism development in the midlands and would have been convenient for a vast catchment area of passengers. Instead it was built on an inaccessible, windswept, soggy, foggy hill in the middle of a bog for political reasons...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I thought Colm Quinn's had bought it a few years ago and were going to use it for work shop repairs as they weren't allowed to expand their current location out the Ballymahon road?
    Maybe I'm wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The new Chinese Hub ? ? ! - I thought that idea had got the Chop Suey years ago ?

A Chinese Hub never had a hope in hell of being built so far from a proper International Airport with decent international connections. And before anyone starts that does not include Knock ! ! Incidentally, Knock Airport should have been built in Athlone. It would have opened up real industrial and tourism development in the midlands and would have been convenient for a vast catchment area of passengers. Instead it was built on an inaccessible, windswept, soggy, foggy hill in the middle of a bog for political reasons...:mad:
    Was actually for Pilgrimage reasons but keep thinking what you're thinking. The motorway once completed will have Dublin, Shannon and Ireland West all easily accessible from Athlone anyway.

flazio wrote: »
    Was actually for Pilgrimage reasons but keep thinking what you're thinking. The motorway once completed will have Dublin, Shannon and Ireland West all easily accessible from Athlone anyway.

For Pilgrimage reasons ? ? :) - Don't make me laugh.... It was built where it is for political reasons with the infamous Pee Flynn as the main Zanu FF cheerleader in cohorts with Monsignor Horan. Even Monsignor Horan never claimed that the airport was "for pilgrimage reasons" - His line was that it was an essential piece of infrastructure that would aid the development of the west of Ireland.

Who do you think are the main users of Knock Airport these days ? - Not "Pilgrims", not tourists, but Irish emigrants flying in to visit home from London and other regional UK airports...
    What motorway are they building between Athlone and Ireland West ? ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

For Pilgrimage reasons ? ? :) - Don't make me laugh.... It was built where it is for political reasons with the infamous Pee Flynn as the main Zanu FF cheerleader in cohorts with Monsignor Horan. Even Monsignor Horan never claimed that the airport was "for pilgrimage reasons" - His line was that it was an essential piece of infrastructure that would aid the development of the west of Ireland.

Who do you think are the main users of Knock Airport these days ? - Not "Pilgrims", not tourists, but Irish emigrants flying in to visit home from London and other regional UK airports...
    What motorway are they building between Athlone and Ireland West ? ?
    M17. Currently heading as far as Tuam, but will eventually link up with Sligo. The single carriageway road from Tuam to the airport is a good wide road these days so even the motorway as far as Tuam will make the airport a viable option for Athlone, plus only one toll on that route versus 2 pricey tolls on the way to Dublin.

But we are getting WAYYYY off topic here.

flazio wrote: »
    M17. Currently heading as far as Tuam, but will eventually link up with Sligo. The single carriageway road from Tuam to the airport is a good wide road these days so even the motorway as far as Tuam will make the airport a viable option for Athlone, plus only one toll on that route versus 2 pricey tolls on the way to Dublin. .

Tuam ? ! Sligo ? ! - Who on earth wants to drive via Tuam or Sligo to catch a flight from Athlone ?
    As I've already stated, Knock Airport was built in an absolutely ridiculous location. When it opened Time magazine did a feature on it as a typical example of Irish political buffoonery - " An International Airport for a village with 300 people" .:rolleyes:

Anyways, back on topic : What's the latest on Casey's ? Have they started building the Chinese Hub on the site yet ? :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Tuam ? ! Sligo ?

The motorway would travel from Galway to Sligo through Tuam, a motorway which would be linked to the Motorway from Galway to Limerick through Gort.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Tuam ? ! Sligo ? ! - Who on earth wants to drive via Tuam or Sligo to catch a flight from Athlone ?

Im sure he meant speedwise, it is quicker for Athlonians to go M6->M17->N17 to Knock airport when this is complete.

Similarly, those from Sligo can go N17 to Knock.

The N17 links Galway to outer Sligo.

Advertisement