Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a 250cc

• 10-08-2014 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

I'm looking for a 250cc bike and I want to spend around two grand on it.

I had a 125cc but sold it in March. It was an excellent bike and rarely gave me trouble.

I was thinking of a Ninja however they're much more than 2 grand second hand.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Out of curiosity. Why a 250 specifically?
    Its much easier for people to recommend a bike if we know general purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I have a ninja 250, i like it a lot, there are two on donedeal for under 2k but you might be better off saving up another 500 and making an offer on one closer to 3k. I got mine for 2800 with 5k miles on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

goodlad wrote: »
    Out of curiosity. Why a 250 specifically?
    Its much easier for people to recommend a bike if we know general purpose.

I'm on an old provisional at the moment. I had a 125 for a year and a half and I think it's a natural progression. The fuel consumption is almost equal to that of a 125 from what I've read and they can be 20kmph faster than the average 125 which is ideal for motorway commute.

rowanh wrote: »
    I have a ninja 250, i like it a lot, there are two on donedeal for under 2k but you might be better off saving up another 500 and making an offer on one closer to 3k. I got mine for 2800 with 5k miles on it.

I was thinking ninja too but the green is terrible looking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

William F wrote: »
    I was thinking ninja too but the green is terrible looking!

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!

Seriously though, what about a Cbr250?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

What about forgetting the Natrual progression way of thinking and get yourself a bigger bike which will open up a lot more options for you.

Personally, i couldnt imaging being on a motorway on a 125 or 250.
    There is absolutely no power left to get yourself anywhere once you hit motorway speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What about forgetting the Natrual progression way of thinking and get yourself a bigger bike which will open up a lot more options for you.

Personally, i couldnt imaging being on a motorway on a 125 or 250.
    There is absolutely no power left to get yourself anywhere once you hit motorway speed.
    Not all 250's are slow.;)
    Aprilia%20RS250%2000.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

I'm on an old provisional at the moment. I had a 125 for a year and a half and I think it's a natural progression. The fuel consumption is almost equal to that of a 125 from what I've read and they can be 20kmph faster than the average 125 which is ideal for motorway commute.

Ok, so you are looking at 250 cos you think is natural progression. What age are you? I would personally be advising to go look at anything 500cc+.

And your second reason is motorway commute! Apart from the fact that you are not allowed on the motorway on learners permit, you really should be looking at something heavier for motorways. Crosswinds can be a bit tricky on smaller bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If youre set on a 250 look into a hornet 250. Loved mine when I had it.

I drove it on the motorway daily and it was ok but you have to cruise at very high revs and there's little power left at those speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ninja_Spirit

I'll be selling my 07 Kawasaki Gpx ninja at the end of the month. 12k miles on it.

• Advertisement

Personally, I couldn't imaging being on a motorway on a 125 or 250.

I'm returning to college in September so I'm looking at it from a fuel consumption perspective. Anything bigger than a 250cc I'd imagine I would be paying a lot more on fuel.

Plus the insurance companies will rape me!!

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Ok, so you are looking at 250 cos you think is natural progression. What age are you? I would personally be advising to go look at anything 500cc+.

And your second reason is motorway commute! Apart from the fact that you are not allowed on the motorway on learners permit, you really should be looking at something heavier for motorways. Crosswinds can be a bit tricky on smaller bikes.

I was under the impression that 250s can reach a cruising speed of 70-75 mph?
    zubair wrote: »
    If youre set on a 250 look into a hornet 250. Loved mine when I had it.

I drove it on the motorway daily and it was ok but you have to cruise at very high revs and there's little power left at those speeds.

What speeds are we talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Fuel economy / power / speed etc. (and therefore insurance rating) have more to do with the type of bike than the cc of the engine. I drive an old Honda 400 four-stroke and get well over 50mpg if I take it handy.

When I was a young lad I drove a Yamaha RD350LC (2-stroke) and I'd say I was lucky to get half that. But it was a lorra fun to drive! :D

A Hornet 250 would be a very nice/easy bike for commuting, but perhaps a little tame if you wanted to give it a bit of a lash.

You could say exactly the same thing of, say, a Yamaha 650 Deauville.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

A CB500 or GPZ500 would be ideal. Enough power for motorways and still cheap to run and insure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I went from a rebel 250 to a f650 a couple of years back and was saving on petrol.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I went from a rebel 250 to a f650 a couple of years back and was saving on petrol.

I was under the impression that the larger the cc the higher the fuel consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I was under the impression that the larger the cc the higher the fuel consumption.

Not always true no. A poster above mentioned the GPZ 500. I've an ER 5, which is pretty much the same engine in a different frame, and my best economy is 4.71 litres/100km.

I wouldn't restrict myself to 250cc if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Could always try to look for a ninja 300 (don't know how many would be available 2nd hand in Ireland and might be a bit pricey since they only debuted last year).

Top speed well above motorway limits, accelerates well even at 120+kph and 55-60+mpg with a decent sized tank so not always having to stop.

Not at all tame and very cheap to run. Finding one in Ireland for a low price might be a problem though..?

Have one and love it :)

Advertisement