Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Roundwood

• 10-08-2014 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Myself and my boyfriend are moving to Roundwood in the next month or so. We have visited the village a couple of times and it seems lovely, but we are not familiar with the wider area. I know the local village has a Centra, but where is the nearest big town (that has a butchers, fruit and veg shop, supermarket, etc.)?
    We are in our early 30's with no kids, and really want to immerse ourselves into the local community, (although we aren't sporty and don't really go to the pub much!).
    I would love to read opinions on what it is like living in Roundwood.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I don't live in Roundwood but I have friends that live there and they love it. I always love driving up to them, even the drive itself is enjoyable and the view as you turn around sugarloaf its not a sight you would ever get sick of. The town is busier in recent times and there is a great community feeling.

Downsides would be the winter. You would probably struggle to get out in anything other than a 4x4 if there is snow and it snows a lot more up there than down here. The nearest town would probably be newtown but Bray would have more supermarkets so really depends what you need.

Good luck with the move. I'm a bit jealous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Roundwood is a great spot. Picturesque, quiet and all that. And it is very close to many amenities. While it does lack a supermarket proper, it has many other shops and services there on the Main Street and has some excellent pubs/restaurants (The Roundwood Inn being the best one for my money; even the chicken and chips in a basket in the bar food is unreal). There is a butchers (Kavanagh's) on the main street, and I think there is a fruit and veg shop too (though I'm not sure).

The nearest supermarket is Dunnes Stores in Newtownmountkennedy, which is about a ten minute drive from Roundwood down the R765 road. Newtown also has a fruit and veg shop, barbers, hairdressers, beauty salon, post office, butchers, Fisher's Of Newtown, etc.

You're also fairly close (maybe 20 mins) from the likes of Bray and Greystones where there is an abundance of supermarkets and stuff, but Newtown is probably the closest and easiest to get to.

Roundwood is well known for its sports clubs (GAA, football, etc.), but there are lots of other things on up there too (Tidy Towns, etc.). I would suggest joining a group on Facebook called "Roundwood Community Group" (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1455912851316050/?fref=ts) where there is an easy way to find info about the local area.

Bear in mind, you are also situated very close to Laragh/Glendalough; arguably the most beautiful and picturesque area in the whole country and it is steeped in history and heritage, so be sure to head for there once you get settled.

Winters in Roundwood (one of the highest villages in Ireland) are notoriously bad; Newtown may experience rain, but in Roundwood it will be snowing. I would suggest that you maybe look into getting a 4-wheel drive vehicle as it can be essential for the winter months in Roundwood.

The area is in the Wicklow Municipal District of Wicklow County Council. The closest local councillor would be Shay Cullen, but the area would also be "covered" by two others who would be very close by; Pat Casey (Glendalough) and Daire Nolan (Newtown). I'm sure if you had any queries or questions, any of them would be able to help and their contact info would be easy to find online. Andrew Doyle, the T.D., is also from the area and would also be open to helping out if needed.

A few other local tips:

-Be careful on the R765 road; people can speed on it and it is quite narrow, so just keep your wits about you.
    -Jurgen in the Roundwood Inn in is a character and coming up to Christmas, the goose in the restaurant end of the Inn is to die for.
    -There is a poker game every Thursday night in Flannery's pub, if that would be your thing.
    -The local GAA team is one of the prides of the local community, so it's no harm to maybe try to get to a game or two, just to meet some locals.
    -There is an alarm company based in the local area that are very reputable if you needed someone to sort out an alarm system for your new home.

Other than that, best of luck in your new home, and I hope you will be very happy there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I know you said you're not into sports but:

You're on the Wicklow Way (with an abundance of alternative walking trails)

If you have/get a bike you're in the middle of fantastic scenery and terrain

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GardenParty

Thanks for all the great insight, I really appreciate it.
    I had no idea the winters were that bad! My boyfriend will be working in the area, so they won't affect him that much. I work evenings/ nights part time in Dublin, so I am hoping that if I am travelling at 4.30pm/ 5pm to Dublin until the following morning, that I will miss the harsh early morning frost.
    brayblue24 wrote: »
    I know you said you're not into sports but:

You're on the Wicklow Way (with an abundance of alternative walking trails)

If you have/get a bike you're in the middle of fantastic scenery and terrain

When I said sports, I meant we don't like GAA, soccer, etc. We definitely enjoy being outdoors though. I have some mobility issues, so I can't walk for as long as I would like, and my balance (or fitness, *ahem*) wouldn't be great on a bike, but I will certainly enjoy short rambles through the countryside, and I have recently become a fan of canoeing, so will be giving that a go.

I am really excited about the move, even more so with these lovely replies! Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

If you're into geeky/nerdy things like Warhammer and Magic the Gathering, there's a sort of club based in a shop in Wicklow Town. I know a guy who travels from Roundwood to it regularly, so the journey mustn't be too onerous!

If you want details, shout, and I'll post them here or message you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 CelticCub

Myself and my boyfriend are moving to Roundwood in the next month or so. We have visited the village a couple of times and it seems lovely, but we are not familiar with the wider area. I know the local village has a Centra, but where is the nearest big town (that has a butchers, fruit and veg shop, supermarket, etc.)?
    We are in our early 30's with no kids, and really want to immerse ourselves into the local community, (although we aren't sporty and don't really go to the pub much!).
    I would love to read opinions on what it is like living in Roundwood.

Thanks!

We are in a smiliar age bracket but with children, we looked at Roundwood but eventually settled on another part of Wicklow - we didnt feel there was enough amenities in Roundwood for our family and the as my wife will be at home it felt a bit isolated...ie no mother/toddler groups etc and from recollection no primary school - the winter weather was also a consideration for us. These are all personal decisions, Roundwood is beautiful so enjoy living there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

CelticCub wrote: »
    We are in a smiliar age bracket but with children, we looked at Roundwood but eventually settled on another part of Wicklow - we didnt feel there was enough amenities in Roundwood for our family and the as my wife will be at home it felt a bit isolated...ie no mother/toddler groups etc and from recollection no primary school - the winter weather was also a consideration for us. These are all personal decisions, Roundwood is beautiful so enjoy living there.

there is a primary school in Roundwood, no secondary though.

loyatemu wrote: »
    there is a primary school in Roundwood, no secondary though.

I stand corrected.....in general we thought it was a bit quiet for our children growing up - settled on Aughrim instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

CelticCub wrote: »
    I stand corrected.....in general we thought it was a bit quiet for our children growing up - settled on Aughrim instead.

I would have considered aughrim quieter than roundwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭Doodah7

foxy06 wrote: »
    I would have considered aughrim quieter than roundwood

+1!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The butchers in the Roundwood is very good quality - no need to travel for that. Doesn't do loads of prepacked stuff like some of the more urban ones, but for quality of meat it wouldn't be easily beat. It has fish on a Friday, and has a selection of Veg all the time.

Nearest towns/ supermarkets are Bray (Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Small Dunnes), Greystones (Aldi, Lidl, Tesco) and Wicklow Town (Lidl and Tesco). The Dunnes in Newtown is a small store, so I'm not sure you'd want to be doing your weekly shop in it. There's enough in the village to get you buy though.

There's actually 2 primary schools in the parish, and as far as I'm aware there's at least one Parents and Toddler group.

Weather issues can depend on your locality really. If you're on, or near, the main road then they're pretty good at keeping it clear these days. Most winters, it's less than a handful of days that might be an issue and to be fair to the county council, they're pretty good at keeping it clear. 4x4's don't work when the road is blocked by other cars! You do have to keep a few days leave in hand though to cover some days. Some of the estates have to leave their cars the bottom of the hill up in the snow and ice though.

It's once you're off the main roads is where there could be more disruption - further out from the village, especially if it's further up, then it can linger for longer (and have snow even when the village has rain). So in that case, it might be worth a look at a 4x4, or an AWD, and/or a second seat of wheels with full winter tyres. It's all weighing up the cost of disruption versus the cost to tax, fuel, insure a 4x4 for maybe a few days a year - living on the main road, we haven't been able to justify it.

The Post office notice board, or Roundwood.ie would be good places to look at interest groups.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The butchers in the Roundwood is very good quality - no need to travel for that. Doesn't do loads of prepacked stuff like some of the more urban ones, but for quality of meat it wouldn't be easily beat. It has fish on a Friday, and has a selection of Veg all the time.

Nearest towns/ supermarkets are Bray (Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Small Dunnes), Greystones (Aldi, Lidl, Tesco) and Wicklow Town (Lidl and Tesco). The Dunnes in Newtown is a small store, so I'm not sure you'd want to be doing your weekly shop in it. There's enough in the village to get you buy though.

There's actually 2 primary schools in the parish, and as far as I'm aware there's at least one Parents and Toddler group.

Weather issues can depend on your locality really. If you're on, or near, the main road then they're pretty good at keeping it clear these days. Most winters, it's less than a handful of days that might be an issue and to be fair to the county council, they're pretty good at keeping it clear. 4x4's don't work when the road is blocked by other cars! You do have to keep a few days leave in hand though to cover some days. Some of the estates have to leave their cars the bottom of the hill up in the snow and ice though.

It's once you're off the main roads is where there could be more disruption - further out from the village, especially if it's further up, then it can linger for longer (and have snow even when the village has rain). So in that case, it might be worth a look at a 4x4, or an AWD, and/or a second seat of wheels with full winter tyres. It's all weighing up the cost of disruption versus the cost to tax, fuel, insure a 4x4 for maybe a few days a year - living on the main road, we haven't been able to justify it.

The Post office notice board, or Roundwood.ie would be good places to look at interest groups.

Maybe we sold Roundwood short! Winter weather would still have been a factor for us though so happy with our choice. Best of luck to the OP in the move......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

I work evenings/ nights part time in Dublin, so I am hoping that if I am travelling at 4.30pm/ 5pm to Dublin until the following morning, that I will miss the harsh early morning frost.

Not so much the frost as black ice, snow etc. It really can be bad sometimes up there.

If you cant afford to change your car to a 4wd, at the very least swap to winter tyres. Even with a 4wd, winter tyres should be worn up there. They work far better below 8 degrees and in snow and ice have far better grip. 4x4's are fine for getting grip, but they wont slow you down or turn a corner any better, only winter tyres will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭patrickc68

i been livin in roundwood for last 18 years,,and since i been here i have been snowed in at the most 3 times,,and never more than a day or 2 could i not get out,,iand sure is'nt it good to have snow days,,as regards my car ,,,i never had a 4wd or winter tyres,,and i always got home or to work safely,,like everything else drive acordingly when weather is bad,,roundwood is a good village lots of nice friendly people,beautiful in summer and in winter,,don't let people put you off because of weather conditions,,its not the alps,,,

Advertisement