Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermoon And Meteors ""Tonight""

Options
  • 10-08-2014 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

Tonight is the proper Supermoon of the Year and the beginning of the Perseid Meteor Shower.

Moon will have effect of lessening any Meteors though which is bit of bummer, thought I highly doubt we'll see any anyway.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Very clear skies over cork city at the moment, will hopefully spot a few with any luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Very clear skies over cork city at the moment, will hopefully spot a few with any luck.

2 flying over Galway now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Visual over Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Is there any direction I should be looking or is up good enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Is there any direction I should be looking or is up good enough?
    Where to view

The Perseids can be viewed by observers in the Northern Hemisphere. If you are planning to view the shower, look between the radiant, which will be in the north-east part of the sky and the zenith (the point in sky directly above you). But don’t worry, you do not have to make any major astronomical calculations. Just lay a blanket on the ground, lie down and let your eyes wander around the sky - you will be bound to spot the shower sooner or later.
    When to view

The best time to view the Perseids, or most other meteor showers is when the sky is the darkest. Most astronomers suggest that depending on the Moon’s phase, the best time to view meteor showers is right before dawn.
    How to view

There isn’t a lot of skill involved in watching a meteor shower. Here are some tips on how to maximize your time looking for the Perseids:
    • Get out of the city to a place where city and artificial lights do not impede your viewing
    • If you are out viewing the shower during its peak, you will not need any special equipment. You should be able to see the shower with your naked eyes.
    • Carry a blanket or a comfortable chair with you - viewing meteors, just like any other kind of star gazing is a waiting game, and you need to be comfortable. Plus, you may not want to leave until you can’t see the majestic celestial fireworks anymore.
    • Check the weather and moonrise and moonset timings for your location before you leave, and plan your viewing around it.

• Advertisement

Do I look north east so?

Do I look north east so?
    yup.

Just spotted one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Been looking north east for a while now and nothing :(

Never mind just saw a good few :D
    delighted :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Faze11 wrote: »
    2 flying over Galway now

Meteors?

Are you sure you weren't seeing the International Space Station and ATV which were passing overhead at the time you posted?

I only ask, as a meteor would have come and gone by the time you typed '2 flying' in your post above.

The ISS and ATV are due to pass over again at 23.57 tonight so we get another chance to see them.

Been looking north east for a while now and nothing :(
    Never mind just saw a good few :D
    delighted :D
    Ah, been out a few times and nothing. Booo.

I'l go again in abit.

Ah, been out a few times and nothing. Booo.

I'l go again in abit.

I literally turned to go back inside and just saw them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Super moon looks cool .

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Saw a shooting star a half hour ago to the right of the big dipper :D Literally looked like a firework, first proper one I've ever seen! The moon also looks really bright! Im living in Dublin but luckily I'm in the countryside this week visiting family so I have a perfect, clear sky with no street lights or anything. It's amazing, I could look at it for hours! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

First ISS pass tonight was the better of the two.However just before the second one I saw a bright meteor and then during the ISS pass another meteor in the same region of the sky.Spectacular.All in all, its been a great night.Have to go to bed now, up early tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

A few Photos i took of the Moon tonight as it rose above the horizon over Passage West , just outside Cork City .

th_715532127_1_122_16lo.JPG th_715536735_2_122_244lo.JPG th_715540917_3_122_173lo.JPG
    th_715544189_4_122_68lo.JPG th_715549475_5_122_409lo.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Just saw a proper yellow fireball type meteor heading southwest -> Northeast from the orange street lighted D6!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I'm living in Writtle, Essex at the moment and I'm seeing what to all intents and purposes is a black hued rainbow at 2230. I tried a picture but it wouldn't come out on my smartphone. I've never imagined such a thing! Anyone ever known of similar. I think it's definitely associated with the sky now clouding up and pain coming in. Lasted about ten minutes. A perfect arc running right across the English countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Delightfully Bright

coolbeans wrote: »
    I'm living in Writtle, Essex at the moment and I'm seeing what to all intents and purposes is a black hued rainbow at 2230. I tried a picture but it wouldn't come out on my smartphone. I've never imagined such a thing! Anyone ever known of similar. I think it's definitely associated with the sky now clouding up and pain coming in. Lasted about ten minutes. A perfect arc running right across the English countryside.

I saw one in the west of Ireland earlier as well. I'd guess that the supermoon replaced the sun as the light source and it formed normally after that. The black hue was probably because of the dark sky.

• Advertisement

Just had what I think was sheet lightning. I saw no fork but everything just sparked up. Nice clear bit in the sky now with the previous clouds blocking out the moon.

The moonbow I saw had a black hued colour gradient from red to blue. Really extraordinary ( for me anyway) .

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Saw this last night in the west, fantastic. Had to look a few times to check what I was really seeing and then consult with google but yep, I saw a moonbow, didn't know they existed!

It peaks tonight. August the 12th is the best night to observe the meteors.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Hope the clouds will go away so I can see something.

Per link below from Nasa, the projected peak viewing is 3-4 a.m.

http://www.nasa.gov/watchtheskies/perseids-2014.html#.U-o76vldV8E

3 shooting stars in 5 minutes . It's giving a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

Just seen one there always a surreal sight 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Seen a couple there, but Im beginning to lose to the clouds :(

Marje wrote: »
    Hope the clouds will go away so I can see something.

Per link below from Nasa, the projected peak viewing is 3-4 a.m.

http://www.nasa.gov/watchtheskies/perseids-2014.html#.U-o76vldV8E

I don't think i will stay up that late . Results in the morning . Very tempting though .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭selfbuildkk

Seeing plenty tonight in the Southeast, cloudy skies but they weren't long clearing, saw about 20 in the hour. didn't realise 3-4 was the best viewing time so Im hoping to stay awake till then and hoping the clouds that have arrived in the last while have cleared.

Advertisement