Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland or Southern Ireland?

Options
  • 10-08-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm from the border area and have a business idea? Which location is better to base the business from? NI or ROI?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Theanswers wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm from the border area and have a business idea? Which location is better to base the business from? NI or ROI?

Thanks.

Depends on the business idea and where your expect to find customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

A good question is where do you feel most at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Or where are your customers most likely to come from, and would they be more favourable to a northern or southern business address?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Or where are your customers most likely to come from, and would they be more favourable to a northern or southern business address?

And is the business
    • Mail Order
    • Labour Intensive
    • B2B/B2C/B2G

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

Your costs of doing business will be lower in North. decision is really about who your customer is and if there is a commercial advantage in being from one jurisdiction or other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Back to the topic of the thread I hope. I just think starting South would give you a bigger market but as I've said before a bit more info on the business might be a good idea to see if we can help out more! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Thanks guys for all your advice. I did not want a start a North, South battle. My personal viewpoint is that it's not changing anytime soon. Nor, would I want it too.

Regarding the business; I'm leaning towards to NI - It's seems to be a cheaper place to do business. Will need a number of vans etc so leading towards the north, maybe a lorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

To the OP sorry if I hijacked your thread! I didn't mean to offend anyone! What kind of business are you planning to be in?
    Don't worry about it. To be honest, nothing personal but I would rather not say just yet. I'm still working everything out in my head.

Really I wanted to gain an understanding of which base location people prefer in terms of ease of running a business would be.
    For example; Tax, accounts, bills etc.
    NI or ROI?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

No more politics on this forum please

Dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Over the years I have found that some northern firms don;t like dealing with firms from teh south whereas I have never encountered a southern firm having an issue dealing with the north.

If its Business to business, the north can have advantage of being able to sell into the south without the vat added and thus whilst not making a difference at the end of the day, can be a help to cashflow.

Costs wise - I don't think there's a huge difference, though there may be a difference in rents north of the border as there's less demand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement