Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleadh Cheoil 2014 - Your opinions so far

Options
  • 10-08-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Come on, don't be shy.

I really enjoyed the samba music and I thought Michael D's speech was wonderful, I could have listened to him all day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Here's hoping the 14 year old knocking over the 3 crates of beer in Tesco because he was clearly drunk (age and condition confirmed by more than one person) and the line of blood leading through the arcade this evening at about 9.30 is not a sign of the week to come...

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

rizzodun wrote: »
    Here's hoping the 14 year old knocking over the 3 crates of beer in Tesco because he was clearly drunk (age and condition confirmed by more than one person) and the line of blood leading through the arcade this evening at about 9.30 is not a sign of the week to come...

What has this got to do with this thread. Back on topic, great atmosphere in town today

Gipo3 wrote: »
    What has this got to do with this thread. Back on topic, great atmosphere in town today

Everything, here's hoping that it's a great event and not the usual excuse for a piss up. Thats being genuine, it's a great chance to show off the town, I hope it's not ruined by issues like I mentioned. The lad was local by the way.

rizzodun wrote: »
    Everything, here's hoping that it's a great event and not the usual excuse for a piss up. Thats being genuine, it's a great chance to show off the town, I hope it's not ruined by issues like I mentioned. The lad was local by the way.

I seen something very similar a couple of weeks ago, suppose that has 'everything' to do with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Far too many temporary shops/stalls selling the same tacky, plastic rubbish. Just feels like paddys day to me, but dragged out for a week.

• Advertisement

Gipo3 wrote: »
    I seen something very similar a couple of weeks ago, suppose that has 'everything' to do with too.

Well all the pubs were packed more than a normal Sunday yesterday, a noticeable increase in people drinking on the street, and a noticeable amount of people carrying full crates of beer out of the supermarket yesterday, but it could be 'coincidence'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Why was there not even one national flag somewhere in the Stephen St Carpark during the opening ceremony?
    It's incredible to think our President was giving a speech and not not one flag anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Thought there was a great atmosphere around yesterday. I cant help but think that we are exploiting it a little bit though, drink prices seem to have increased, paid €8.00(€5 for the bottle,€3 for the soft drink), for a bottle of bud and a small can of lucozade in the Garavogue last night.

Also was a bit disappointed to see a 15 year old boy unconscious outside the Four Lights(through no fault of the Four Lights), apparently he had taken a bad pill according to his friends, this was at 10.00pm, still a lot of families around. Doesn't send out a great message to people from other parts of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Regardless where you go, there'll always be pissheads who can't behave. Lets just take this as an opportunity to slag off the town as usual shall we?

I missed Micheal D myself, but we went into town afterwards. There was a good buzz around indeed, but the only pub I was able to find a session in was McGarrigles which was jammed. I was a bit disappointed but then again it was only sunday.

I'm a bit surprised that the garavogue haven't hiked up their prices to crazy amounts. At the festival, pints were €4.90, which isn't too bad in fairness, plus they've a decent variety of beers at the outdoor bar, including coors light. They've kept the prices the same yesterday anyway. Went up past the bistro, and they were charging €5 for a pint of miller

There's a popup shop beside them in colemans old shop selling burgers. There's someone typically trying to rip people off. €5 for a scabby burger, and if you want cheese its €5.50. Absolutely no need for that imo.

The food experience have a stall set up outside of EJ's, which will be good when the close off the street to traffic. I got a 'gourmet' burger off them, with bacon and cheese and a can of coke for €5. Much better value to be had there.

Lots of places still not open yet, so it looks as though the party is yet to get into full swing.

I wasn't using it as an opportunity to slag off the town, as I said, I hope it isn't a sign of the week to come, I hope like most other people it passes off successfully, at the very least it gets some people work for the week.

In response to Buford's comments about prices, as far as I'm aware, most business in Sligo signed up to an agreement not to inflate prices to ensure the events success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Regardless where you go, there'll always be pissheads who can't behave. Lets just take this as an opportunity to slag off the town as usual shall we?

I missed Micheal D myself, but we went into town afterwards. There was a good buzz around indeed, but the only pub I was able to find a session in was McGarrigles which was jammed. I was a bit disappointed but then again it was only sunday.

I'm a bit surprised that the garavogue haven't hiked up their prices to crazy amounts. At the festival, pints were €4.90, which isn't too bad in fairness, plus they've a decent variety of beers at the outdoor bar, including coors light. They've kept the prices the same yesterday anyway. Went up past the bistro, and they were charging €5 for a pint of miller

There's a popup shop beside them in colemans old shop selling burgers. There's someone typically trying to rip people off. €5 for a scabby burger, and if you want cheese its €5.50. Absolutely no need for that imo.

The food experience have a stall set up outside of EJ's, which will be good when the close off the street to traffic. I got a 'gourmet' burger off them, with bacon and cheese and a can of coke for €5. Much better value to be had there.

Lots of places still not open yet, so it looks as though the party is yet to get into full swing.

Interesting ... I read this last week which suggested otherwise?

Shops and pubs in the town have signed a special charter to ensure visitors to the world’s biggest festival of Irish traditional music will not be hit by price hikes on food, drink and other services.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/sligo-moves-to-protect-tourists-from-being-ripped-off-at-fleadh-30484541.html

Interesting ... I read this last week which suggested otherwise?

Shops and pubs in the town have signed a special charter to ensure visitors to the world’s biggest festival of Irish traditional music will not be hit by price hikes on food, drink and other services.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/sligo-moves-to-protect-tourists-from-being-ripped-off-at-fleadh-30484541.html

That's what I'm saying, they've surprisingly not hoiked their prices up, with the exception of the one pop up rip off merchant burger shop.

Town was buzzing tonight on a monday. I was in McHughs, and on one of they're standard weekly posters they have pints €4 until 10. They were, and went up to €5 afterwards. I don't normally drink there, but if that's what they normally charge, then they've not changed things either. Hopefully it'll be a sign of things to come this week. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

That's what I'm saying, they've surprisingly not hoiked their prices up, with the exception of the one pop up rip off merchant burger shop.

Town was buzzing tonight on a monday. I was in McHughs, and on one of they're standard weekly posters they have pints €4 until 10. They were, and went up to €5 afterwards. I don't normally drink there, but if that's what they normally charge, then they've not changed things either. Hopefully it'll be a sign of things to come this week. Looking forward to it.
    That is the usual deal in McHughs up to 10pm but I always thought they were €4.50 after 10pm. I also was disappointed when I had something to eat in Source(McHughs are running it) and they have put about a €1 more on there normal menu. Although have to say the food was still brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The car park down near Quayside are now charging €10 a day to park instead of the usual €3 and a hotel in town wants €189 per room per night instead of the usual €79 (or whatever they used to charge).

I would have really liked to see a market down on Rockwood Parade and more going on in the centre of town but hopefully at the end of the week there will be more happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Far too many temporary shops/stalls selling the same tacky, plastic rubbish. Just feels like paddys day to me, but dragged out for a week.

Yeah saw a bit of that alright, but I guess any big event anywhere attracts that sort of thing anyway. I remember going to the Tubbercurry Old Fair day last year and it was stall upon stall of made in china rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Passed through town last night. Not as I had pictured, no traffic or crowds, but will pick up by Wednesday/Thursday I guess. Seemed to be a lot of young teenagers about, like a funfair atmosphere. A lot of the pop-up shops seemed really empty. I think some of the greedy restaurants and pubs will be overflowing with unused stock next week.

I will go to hear some of the music during the week, but I still think Sligo is not one of those traditional diddly-eye country towns.

Well done to all the Tidy Towns Committee, they have carried out excellent work and have done far more for Sligo than any Councillors or county council have done over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Wednesday is leaving results night so the town is gonna be chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Takestan

Dose any one know approx cost of a taxi from mullaghmore to Sligo would cost on Sunday morning returning Sunday evening thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Takestan wrote: »
    Dose any one know approx cost of a taxi from mullaghmore to Sligo would cost on Sunday morning returning Sunday evening thanks
    ring some of the companies and see if they'll do a price
    the meter would be dear

thebus.ie is doing shuttle bus, check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Thanks that v usefull

Thanks that v usefull

Carson10 wrote: »
    A lot of the pop-up shops seemed really empty. I think some of the greedy restaurants and pubs will be overflowing with unused stock next week.

Good. I'm glad to hear it. Serve them right.
    magnumlady wrote: »

I would have really liked to see a market down on Rockwood Parade and more going on in the centre of town but hopefully at the end of the week there will be more happening.
    There will. Rockwood parade and JFK parade are getting food stalls and the like, and the farmers market is coming up from the IT for the weekend.

On a rip off note, Flamenco Kitchen have set up their stall on O'Connell St. beside boots. Surprise surprise, the Paella is now €7, and yet at Sligo Summer Fest 3 days ago it was €6.50. I had some on saturday, and its was very bland. Looking forward to Paddy Paella coming on thursday. Had some of his last year and it was a belter.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭butterfly28

Hey guys

Just for the craic,judging by the theme of this topic....check out a place in Church Street on daft.ie. It's unreal - they originally wanted €1,000 for the week of the Fleadh and seeing as this was "somewhat" (sincere sarcasm there!) expensive they dropped this down to €950 for the week!! Would love to know who is renting it! Greedy or what?!!!

Hey guys

Just for the craic,judging by the theme of this topic....check out a place in Church Street on daft.ie. It's unreal - they originally wanted €1,000 for the week of the Fleadh and seeing as this was "somewhat" (sincere sarcasm there!) expensive they dropped this down to €950 for the week!! Would love to know who is renting it! Greedy or what?!!!

That's hilarious, doubt it'll be gone any time soon, €950 quid for 5 days if they move in tomorrow...

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/church-street-sligo-sligo/1470244/

I tried to post the link to it but being a new user here I'm not entitled to lol!! :P Ir is hilarious isn't it?! They'll be left with an empty place and back to begging for the original €525 a month (still bloody pricy if you ask me!!)

They can always mothball the place until next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Great buzz around town last few nights. Loving walking around listening to the music. Was kinda worrying to see so many of the particular crowd around selling their Chinese rubbish toys watching everyone's wallets but thankfully they're slowly being outnumbered.

What's with the big red Jesus bus in wine st car park taking up about 8 spaces?

Good Garda presence around. I don't think any scumbags will get a chance to sour it for everyone else, unlike the summer fest, deary me.

• Advertisement

Yeah....seeing as it was first being promoted as being "suitable for a retirement couple"!! I'm so bad but it's funny!!! :D

Advertisement