Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleadh Cheoil 2014 - Your opinions so far

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

That place was on the market when i was looking for a place in town three years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Cnoc na Riabh

Wednesday's Post-Leaving-Cert-Results-Revelry + Fleadh Cheoil = possible trouble

Hope someone has a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭butterfly28

AgileMyth wrote: »
    That place was on the market when i was looking for a place in town three years ago

Seriously?! That's unreal! How much was it to rent then?!

Obviously too much cause I never looked at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Wednesday's Post-Leaving-Cert-Results-Revelry + Fleadh Cheoil = possible trouble

Hope someone has a plan.

Such a bull**** statement. Any ordinary year and the results can cause trouble. Every bad thing that could happen anyway and the Fleadh has to be dragged in. The amount of pessimistic sad cases here is unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Such a bull**** statement. Any ordinary year and the results can cause trouble. Every bad thing that could happen anyway and the Fleadh has to be dragged in. The amount of pessimistic sad cases here is unbelievable.

There will be no trouble with LC results, most LC students will be well accustomed to a night out, it would be the JC that would have kids pissed on the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

bennyc wrote: »
    There will be no trouble with LC results, most LC students will be well accustomed to a night out, it would be the JC that would have kids pissed on the streets.

if LC kids are used to a night out how come they change when they go to college?

Tigger wrote: »
    if LC kids are used to a night out how come they change when they go to college?
    Cause they don't have to go home to their mammys then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Hey guys

Just for the craic,judging by the theme of this topic....check out a place in Church Street on daft.ie. It's unreal - they originally wanted €1,000 for the week of the Fleadh and seeing as this was "somewhat" (sincere sarcasm there!) expensive they dropped this down to €950 for the week!! Would love to know who is renting it! Greedy or what?!!!

Its bog standard too. The bathroom is hardly bigger than a toilet cubicle. I hope they got no one for it the misers!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Was in town today at lunchtime. Great atmosphere about and loads of action around O'Connell street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Yeah I feel like I'm on me holidays walking around. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Nice to see loads of young ones around hauling instrument cases with them from one place to another. Not big into it myself, but the trad music scene must be very healthy if what I've seen is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭butterfly28

Its bog standard too. The bathroom is hardly bigger than a toilet cubicle. I hope they got no one for it the misers!

That really is pathetic! Hard enough to get a decent landlord as it is! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Only getting a chance to comment now. Was out sunday night for a while, very disapointed with Hargardons, was only a few at the bar when I called in around 10, but found some Trad Music in both McHughs and Shoots. The Garavouge also had a covers band with a slightly Trad influence.

Was probably more linked to The Summer Festival but was disapointed to see 14/15 year olds falling aroind the place at 8/9 o'clock on friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Nice to see loads of young ones around hauling instrument cases with them from one place to another. Not big into it myself, but the trad music scene must be very healthy if what I've seen is anything to go by.

I remember a couple ago, I stumbled upon the tail end some sort of festival in Ballymote. Anyway we went for a pint and there was a bunch of teens playing Trad stuff in a pub. The amazing thing was, every 20-30 minutes more young musicians would walk in and jump straight in. So what started out as 3, ended up with about 16/17 playing in the band. The pub was literally bouncing to the music and it was a fantastic night. I wouldn't seek out Trad music but it really was a mighty atmosphere. And the most heartening thing of all was, all the musicians were basically kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

in town for a walk just home. wonderful atmosphere, lots of music, people in good form, lots of well positioned bins and not a sign of any litter. no one falling around (plenty of leaving certs round) and the guards discretely visible. impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I see McHughs have taken down their €4 pints posters yesterday and hoiked all pints up to €4.95.

The town was absolutely buzzing yesterday it was a great atmosphere. And like has been said here already, the vast majority of the musicians that I've seen have all been young teenagers. Great to see that the music is living on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Great night at Stocktons Wing in Garavogue last night. Place was a bit overly wedged though and doubt they made much on beer downstairs as no one could get to the bar. I passed Mc Garrigles and Hargadons both jammers. Thankfully it was a lovely night and the street pints tasted nicer for some reason. Lots of leaving certers about all well behaved. It'll be chocka-block from today onwards as the ceili bands have arrived. Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Seems legit alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

In for the main stage all afternoon. Great to see so many local people helping out, cleaning up the litter and making the place look superb. Total respect and many thanks to them all.

And we've all heard it a million times, but if we could only keep the town centre pedestrianised, it would be one of the best towns to visit in Ireland.

Normally it's awful. As it is today, it's awesome. Ban all cars forever I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Kettleson wrote: »

And we've all heard it a million times, but if we could only keep the town centre pedestrianised, it would be one of the best towns to visit in Ireland.

Normally it's awful. As it is today, it's awesome. Ban all cars forever I say.

I'd tend to agree apart from the fact that the inner relief road can't handle the extra traffic, over 30 mins to get from Crozon slip road to the bridge today on the way home from work.

Just back from town and great to see so many people about, real holiday atmosphere in the town, off the weekend so will head in tomorrow for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

A Fleadh thread with no mention of music, highlights for me so far were Moxie in McGarrigles on Tuesday afternoon, The Oddsocks trad session on Thursday afternoon in the Dail Bar, a session led by a Donegal flute player in the Riverside the same night, and a girl from Ballina last night (though not in anyway trad) also in McGarrigles backed at first by drum and base until the arrival of a brass section who done a kind of conga out the side door of the pub then in the front playing a ska wigout all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Went for a walk about last night,the buzz was amazing the town looked superb,the volunteers are doing an amazing job.the streets are so clean this week looks like it would not function without them.
    Lovely to so many people young and old playing music on the streets and the crowds and buzz down at the gig rig was great.
    Downside these pop up shops selling crap.herd so much from the revenue that there were going to come down on these sort of operations.and some how can't see them very tax compliant operations.

A Fleadh thread with no mention of music, highlights for me so far were Moxie in McGarrigles on Tuesday afternoon, The Oddsocks trad session on Thursday afternoon in the Dail Bar, a session led by a Donegal flute player in the Riverside the same night, and a girl from Ballina last night (though not in anyway trad) also in McGarrigles backed at first by drum and base until the arrival of a brass section who done a kind of conga out the side door of the pub then in the front playing a ska wigout all the time.

Well I was disappointed with one of the most potentially innovative features I was most looking forward to on the Peace 3 stage, that had been billed as a ‘Exchange of Musical Traditions’.

The "fusion section" was quite clearly under rehearsed, if rehearsed at all, and lacked any impact or co-ordination whatsoever. A real missed opportunity. Many of the trad musicians looked lost and only a few tried to play along.

IMO it would have been better to have got some young local guitar playing rockers to fuse with the flute band and get the show rocking. (And have it well rehearsed before hand).

"With many rousing tunes from our shared Celtic musical traditions, the Pride of the Orange and Blue Auld Boys Flute Band will join with Sligo’s Fred Finn Traditional Musicians on the PEACE lll Gig Rig".

Anyone hear talk about the Fleadh coming back to Sligo next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Yes, was announced back in March. Could be on the cards for 2016 too.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/fleadh-cheoil-na-hireann-returning-to-sligo-in-2015-30081695.html

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Not sure 2016 thought it was Drogheda or Ennis in the running

bobcar61 wrote: »

Announced last March? Jaysus that's great and haven't I got my finger on the pulse for all things Fleadh related.:o

• Advertisement

It's common enough for a town to hang onto the Fleadh for a year or 2, sometimes 3, especially if they have done OK/Good Enough in the first year.

The philosophy is that a town that has risen to the occasion will learn from its efforts and the next year should be even better again from the learning experience. Then move onto the next town that is ready for the challenge.

Apart from tonights rain, the Fleadh has been an absolute triumph for Sligo, and particularly for the organising committee and the Volunteers. Medals all round, well deserved. Thank you one and all.

Advertisement