Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭esposito

derekon wrote: »
    Mmmm.......very interesting 6 -10 day forecast just issued by John Hammond on BBC Weather. Link just below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/30303588

He confirms that the North of the UK is likely to see a fair amount of snow next week as the Atlantic Storms pass through and cold air digs in from the north.

Dare I say it but could MT be onto something? :);)

D

I love John Hammond :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Snow lovers may also explode if they read MT's forecast this morning! ;)

Needs an image........

exploding-snowman.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Scared Hitless

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Needs an image........

Needs a face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Needs a face

He's looking the other way....:D

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    He's looking the other way....:D

Nice arse. Jesus he just blew up, I did not see that the 1st time!
    Poor little snowperson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Still hope for a cold blast with a chance if snow going by MT thus morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

someone mention snow?? I'm snow deprived.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    someone mention snow?? I'm snow deprived.

With a username like Sunbabe I'm not surprised! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I'm posting this here and the model thread as I'm not sure where else to. I note the White Christmas Forum has been closed with an instruction to post about it in the main snow thread.

I think this is all wrong on the following basis:-

1. There has been a standalone White Christmas Thread on this forum for at least the last 4 years (can't say before that as I wasn't aware of this forum up to 2010)
    2. Every other weather forum I know of sees this as a standalone thread. Indeed most weather sites have a dedicated Christmas forecast page and a dedicated thread.
    3. It is not a duplication of the snow thread. It is very different. It is posts about the weather on one specific day.
    4. I can only think it was closed down as a couple of general snow posts were posted there - but the solution to that is surely to simply move those posts?
    5. It is harmless fun and nearer to the big day it is usually a very active and enjoyable thread. To close it down is all a bit Ebenezer IMHO!

Any chance you would please re-consider Mods?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭hawkwing

"The rain will clear early on Saturday night but westerly winds will become even stronger, and wintry showers will soon spread from the Atlantic. As well as hail, some sleet or snow showers are likely to occur, giving a dusting of snow on northern and western hills. " http://www.met.ie/forecasts/ It's a start at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭xmasking

Let it fall with white flakes! Christmas without snow isn't the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭Jude13

xmasking wrote: »
    Let it fall with white flakes! Christmas without snow isn't the same.

Heavy frost will do, Im and 80's "kid" and can only remember one white christmas (2010). So once its freezing and lashing rain its not too bad and still a good Christmas.

However, a fake tree = fake Christmas. I wouldn't even count a Christmas with a fake tree.

Agreed. You have to pull out all the stops for Christmas and get a big massive real Norwegian pine with all the trimmings. Christmas is a time to spend, spend, spend!

I forgot the wink icon after the fake tree comment, hope it doesn't cause a storm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jude13 wrote: »
    I forgot the wink icon after the fake tree comment, hope it doesn't cause a storm

I was going to respond giving out but it's kind of off topic so I let it slide ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Jude13 wrote: »
    Heavy frost will do, Im and 80's "kid" and can only remember one white christmas (2010). So once its freezing and lashing rain its not too bad and still a good Christmas.

However, a fake tree = fake Christmas. I wouldn't even count a Christmas with a fake tree.

1994, 1995, 2000, 2004, 2010 all were white Christmases.

Goin by the squence above: 2014?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Danno wrote: »
    1994, 1995, 2000, 2004, 2010 all were white Christmases.

Goin by the squence above: 2014?

What sequence is that? I'm seeing...

1,5,4,6.... no real sequence there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Bah I've never seen a white Christmas here in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Loughc wrote: »
    What sequence is that? I'm seeing...

1,5,4,6.... no real sequence there.

Obviously the sequence is 1,5,4,6,4 ;)

Here's hoping it happens...

[IMG][/img]rjLRwcu.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

What sequence is that?

Years ending in 0 and 4?

Haha of course! Fingers crossed you're onto something! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This morning I was told in Killorglin ( Kerry, near Killarney) that there was a dusting of snow atop the high peaks early today.. Drove that way home but there were cloud caps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A chance of a few snow showers on Sunday morning.

Negative DP

14120706_0312.gif

850 temps around -7

14120706_0312.gif

14120706_0312.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Woke up to a few cms of snow this morning in Kaiserslautern Germany. Lovely to see!

15d71oj.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

With luck, we'll be back to Dew Point watching around our coastal waters for signs of impending snowmageddon.

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

dublincelt wrote: »
    Woke up to a few cms of snow this morning in Kaiserslautern Germany. Lovely to see!

15d71oj.jpg

Oh that looks like a lovely place to live.

The anticipation of snow, even if it doesn't transpire, always make the winter go faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

I think he predicted a white Xmas last year too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A flashback to last year, just for fun ;)
    DONEGAL WEATHERMAN MICHAEL PREDICTS A WHITE CHRISTMAS!!!

November 15, 2013

Ireland’s most famous amateur weatherman Michael Gallagher believes that all the indications are there to suggest that Donegal will have a White Christmas.
    Postman Michael Gallagher reckons we're in for a White Christmas.

The postman from Glenfin told Donegal Daily that we will have a ‘White Christmas’ and that he expects us to endure a couple of severe cold snaps throughout the month of December.

Most Met Eireann stations recorded their warmest December for at least 16 years last year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Yea he doesn't have a clue, I enjoy reading predictions but that's all they are..predictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

A flashback to last year, just for fun ;)

Most Met Eireann stations recorded their warmest December for at least 16 years last year...

clap.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

So the postman gets it wrong from time to time.
    He did predict 2010 - no comments about that, just links to last years incorrect forecast.

Not for one second do i think hes as good or professional as say MT, nor would he put in as much work on drawing his conclusions as MT.

But didnt MT predict snow for mid nov?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

Haha of course! Fingers crossed you're onto something! :)

This could be from lack of sleep and street lamp watching 'rear view window' style...
    But... 1995 doesn't end in 0 or 4?... Also... The sequence is 1, 5, 4, 5 (missing 2009), 1 (2010 and perhaps the beginning, again, of the sequence),...

If it was to follow a sequence then I would suggest that it is 1, 5, 4, 5 (sounds good too) and by that 'storm' in teacup (my fuzzy attempt to keep this on topic), we should be getting a good old Maddenesque Snowmagedon by next year (perhaps January, February...maybe in March 2015 or Nov-Dec 2015.)

Copyright Snowquence

*Let it snow let it snow...let it snow!*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Danno wrote: »
    Years ending in 0 and 4?

1995?

Hang on, 94 and 95 I don't remember a white Christmas (in Dublin) the other years I had already emigrated. I did go back for most Christmas' however I may not have great recollection of my time at home due to too many 12 pubs.

26 degrees here, sound ideal but the sun is down when I get home. I am always whiter than the people I visit at home. I am packing gloves, boots and jumpers so snow or no snow I will be enjoying my winter clothes

"TUESDAY ... Windy and turning gradually colder in stages, showers becoming increasingly wintry towards afternoon and evening, winds westerly 70-120 km/hr. Strong gusts likely in Connacht and west Ulster, parts of west Munster. Lows about 4 C and highs 6-8 C, falling off to near 2 C over higher terrain by afternoon or evening."

Good man MT, u always no how to put a smile on my face

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 Have a nice day

Current forecast from met.ie have lots of nice keywords

A cold, icy and frosty start to Friday, but these will gradually clear to give a brighter day of sunny spells and showers. These showers will be of hail and sleet in higher ground in the north of the country.

General : Unsettled. Cold - a few wintry showers, further frost at times. But some windy, wet spells too.

Some will turn wintry on western and northern hills, by dawn on Sunday. Lowest temperatures -1 to plus 3 C.

Sunday will be cold and windy, with sunny spells and showers. Some will give hail and sleet in places in the morning, with a little snow possible on western and northern hills. Cold and rather breezy overnight, with scattered showers, some possibly wintry on northern hills and some patches of frost and frost are likely also.

Cold too with some showers possibly turning wintry on hills.

Even if I see snow on the hilltops, I will be pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I was in Scotland very recently (between Glasgow and the Isle of Skye) and not one mountain top had a flake of snow on it. Hardly surprising when it was warm enough for polo shirts at temps of 14.C :cool:

Nice to see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

I was in Scotland very recently (between Glasgow and the Isle of Skye) and not one mountain top had a flake of snow on it. Hardly surprising when it was warm enough for polo shirts at temps of 14.C :cool:
    check it next week ;) between Glasgow and Skye stretches some distance,bionic eyes? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I don't care about the upcoming festive season, I'll take all the snow I can get anytime. Anytime.

I have great memories of snow, from being pelted as a small boy on my way to mass on a Christmas Morning and running home crying, to jumping into a massive fresh snow drift on my way home from the New Year's party that year to pulling people out of the snow vit me jeep in 2010 and being almost the only vehicle to a navigate over Nad Mountain that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I don't care about the upcoming festive season, I'll take all the snow I can get anytime. Anytime.

I have great memories of snow, from being pelted as a small boy on my way to mass on a Christmas Morning and running home crying, to jumping into a massive fresh snow drift on my way home from the New Year's party that year to pulling people out of the snow vit me jeep in 2010 and being almost the only vehicle to a navigate over Nad Mountain that year.

I love snow, I love how beautiful it makes everywhere look and the kid it brings out in us all but I have to say in 2010 I was getting peed off with the muck and sludge and cold by the end. Though on a positive note I loved how when my little yaris got stuck 3 or 4 strangers would run over and push me out, also as no one liked to travel our local chemist did a roaring trade on christmas gifts, and as they are are really community spirited was nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 andrioolis

Qute from independent.ie which brought my attention. i hope MT is right otherwise...

"Mr Eagleton said the chances remain slim at the moment.

"You would have to get the weather coming in from the north and the north-east and it is forecast to come in from over the Atlantic for next week anyway. That generally doesn't bring much snow to Ireland," he said.

"It can bring pretty cold, miserable weather and it can get quite damp. You can get a lot of frost at night - but you don't get those low freezing temperatures for the whole day when it comes in from that direction."

He said there is no sign of the kind of cold snap that gripped the country a few years ago on the horizon.
    "You would have to get the weather coming in from the north and the north-east and it is forecast to come in from over the Atlantic for next week anyway. That generally doesn't bring much snow to Ireland," he said.

"It can bring pretty cold, miserable weather and it can get quite damp. You can get a lot of frost at night - but you don't get those low freezing temperatures for the whole day when it comes in from that direction.""

He said there is no sign of the kind of cold snap that gripped the country a few years ago on the horizon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

Temp didn't rise over 2 degrees where I live in North Meath/Cavan border today - serious icy fog since about 3pm - visibility extremely poor out there since dark.

I think this week has been steadily cold - no sign of the Atlantic weather effect around here?!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

So the North & west to see any chance of the snow ! Nothing for East Coast I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

ElizaT33 wrote: »
    Temp didn't rise over 2 degrees where I live in North Meath/Cavan border today - serious icy fog since about 3pm - visibility extremely poor out there since dark.

I think this week has been steadily cold - no sign of the Atlantic weather effect around here?!:confused:

I agree with Eliza T33. I was spinning about that area today and a couple of people made the same statement that they could smell snow in the air. I haven't heard that saying before but found it interesting when I hear the forecasters announcing colder weather coming in after meeting them. It's funny really. I have a great respect for all the guys on here and I enjoy storm watching and watching the lamp posts with them until the wee hours but you've gotta love these sayings. The smell of snow!! Brilliant!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Just had a little shower of graupel.

And so it begins..............................:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Update from Met Eireann this morning:

SATURDAY NIGHT: Wet and breezy weather during the first half of the night, with rain clearing eastwards later. Clear spells will develop but showers will feed in from the Atlantic, some of which will turn wintry on higher ground across Atlantic coastal counties towards dawn. A cold night, but moderate to fresh westerly winds should prevent any significant ground frost - mainly in sheltered spots. Lowest temperatures 0 to 4 degrees Celsius, coldest over Ulster.

SUNDAY: Bitterly cold and rather blustery. Good spells of sunshine but scattered showers too - mainly affecting the western half of the country. Some of the showers will be wintry in nature, with snow on western and northern hills and possibly some sleet on lower levels here. A flurries or two is possibly on higher ground further east. Highest temperatures just 3 to 6 degrees Celsius, in a fairly fresh westerly breeze. Similar conditions persisting overnight. Cold with some frost as winds moderate, with some snow accumulation possible in the north overnight.

MONDAY: Many areas dry and bright with sunny spells (frost and icy stretches early on). However some showers will occur too, most of which will affect Ulster - generally of rain but a few wintry ones are possibly during the morning time here. Highest temperatures 5 to 8 degrees Celsius, with mostly moderate westerly winds, later becoming light southerly. Frost during the first half of the night, clearing most areas before morning with the arrival of wet and windy weather.

TUESDAY: Overcast, wet and windy with spells of rain - heaviest during the afternoon and evening, especially across the western half of the country with the risk of spot flooding. Relatively mild day though, with highest temperatures of 10 to 12 degrees Celsius, in a fresh to strong and gusty southwest wind.

FURTHER OUTLOOK: Turning colder again, with bands of wet and windy weather - some wintry showers too (mainly across higher ground in Atlantic counties)

I cherry picked the most interesting parts! :pac:;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement