Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

The 00z ECM run shows a huge change in the weather over the 25th to 27th, with a high risk of snow and sub-freezing temperatures. This trend is partially supported by the other models although the evolution is considerably more extreme on the Euro. I would say, give this a day or two before accepting as high probability, it could be yanked away, but I have to say, this ongoing December is almost a carbon copy of Dec 1962 over North America and the western Atlantic, and has not been that different in Europe either -- the epic cold of that winter only set in with any force by Christmas week (possibly a few days earlier than what we're discussing here).

Mods take note, forum meltdown mode could be just hours or a day or two down the road.

06c4438732db6baf7d18688310a5798a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Midnight Sky

Thanks MT! Maybe I will buy that snow shovel in ALDI after all.

Also - Does this actually mean that Exacta Weather may be on the mark after all?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mods take note, forum meltdown mode could be just hours or a day or two down the road.

What time is it going to snow in Dublin? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

DOCARCH wrote: »
    What time is it going to snow in Dublin? :P

Don't encourage them 😂😂ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

ECM throws a massive curveball on the latest run. Would take this with a huge pinch of county council depot road salt at present. T216-T240 is still just outside reliability range.

Keepin' it real, before the rollercoaster ride starts up...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

The 00z ECM run shows a huge change in the weather over the 25th to 27th, with a high risk of snow and sub-freezing temperatures. This trend is partially supported by the other models although the evolution is considerably more extreme on the Euro. I would say, give this a day or two before accepting as high probability, it could be yanked away, but I have to say, this ongoing December is almost a carbon copy of Dec 1962 over North America and the western Atlantic, and has not been that different in Europe either -- the epic cold of that winter only set in with any force by Christmas week (possibly a few days earlier than what we're discussing here).

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mtullett/1962-63/

Excellent daily summary of 62/63 - winter set in Christmas Day/ Stephens Day that year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

The 00z ECM run shows a huge change in the weather over the 25th to 27th, with a high risk of snow and sub-freezing temperatures......

You're saying all the right things :)

This would be the best Christmas present ever ;):)

Whilst being realistic about such a senario, I'm always hopeful to see and experience the extreme end of the weather spectrum (wishing everyone safe and well during extreme conditions of course... )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

:eek:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I wonder if Met Eireann are rowing back now about milder weather, yesterday on the paper they said Christmas would be very mild with temp on Christmas day 11 to 12 degrees, now this morning on radio Evelyn said Monday and Tuesday would be mild, but wait for it!! she said it's too early to call Christmas day , I smell a rat ðŸ˜႒

leahyl wrote: »
    :eek:

giphy.gif

Calm down now ;)

The Cork snow shield will probably deploy at around the same time any snow may fall.

I have it on good authority that during this mild period it's been taken in to the workshop and is being thoroughly cleaned and serviced in anticipation of it being needed in the coming weeks ;););)

• Advertisement

Tactical wrote: »
    Calm down now ;)

The Cork snow shield will probably deploy at around the same time any snow may fall.

I have it on good authority that during this mild period it's been taken in to the workshop and is being thoroughly cleaned and serviced in anticipation of it being needed in the coming weeks ;););)

:mad: Tactical I'm surprised at you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

going to be very exciting model watching over the next few days! amazing the change in a few days so far too early to get overly excited yet!!

:mad: Tactical I'm surprised at you!!!

ok, ok, I'll ask my source to throw a spanner in the works :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Would sombody be kind enough to post a few charts?

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I wonder if Met Eireann are rowing back now about milder weather, yesterday on the paper they said Christmas would be very mild with temp on Christmas day 11 to 12 degrees, now this morning on radio Evelyn said Monday and Tuesday would be mild, but wait for it!! she said it's too early to call Christmas day , I smell a rat ðŸ˜႒

They had a forecast for mild weather on Christmas on there website earlier this morning which has now been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭budweiser6

Omg I'm so excited, going to be a great few days on this forum, id given up hope a few days ago then BAM... some exciting charts and mts morning forecast.. Bring it on!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

Some interesting/exciting viewing on the snow risk radar on Netweather!

Can't post yet as still a new user (need to sort that)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Hero777 wrote: »
    Some interesting/exciting viewing on the snow risk radar on Netweather!

Can't post yet as still a new user (need to sort that)

Is this this the one? Map looks great for 27th if you are in Ulster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Still a lot of variability from run to run with no clear signal being picked up on, wouldn't be getting too excited until that Atlantic ridge is solved...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Is this this the one? Map looks great for 27th if you are in Ulster
    not much on the big day itself unless your goin to scotland on holidays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah must say I raised my eyebrows at Evelyn this morning "as for the run up to Christmas - well there is low confidence on that so we're not going to call it yet"

If its on the ECM then there was a sharp intake of breath at Glasnevin this morning. The farming forecast this Sunday will be interesting to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

aghhhhhhhhhhhh, excited I am!!

Once again, not getting too excited......

7100005.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Not gonna get excited about this until Sunday at least

We have been bitten in the backside too many times before !

Model watching is gonna be tense over the next few days....

Not gonna get excited about this until Sunday at least

We have been bitten in the backside too many times before !

Model watching is gonna be tense over the next few days....

latest Uk met office update not making too much of it though this was before this morning's models.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

s.m wrote: »
    not much on the big day itself unless your goin to scotland on holidays

The night of the 27th/morning of the 28th is what got my lips wet.

Ture that Ulster looks good but so does the east coast (from Ulster but living in the east now)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Was talking to a friend earlier who has been delivering salt from Dublin to the midlands for the past few weeks. They had been bringing a couple of tonnes per day but from tomorrow its being increased to 5 tonnes per day. Take from it what you will.

tumblr_ma5p1oh8oQ1rwlsczo1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Wheres that?

:p

• Advertisement

Fitzgerald's park?