Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

It's giving me a headache at how excited I am. Im glad its not this weekend, have a 13 hour trip home.

But to have a cold build up to Christmas and then to wake up on Christmas day to a guaranteed* blanket of snow is a dream come true.

*May actually be 13 degrees and lashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

GFS - P looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

GFS - P looks amazing

the updated one or from earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

New GFS P run wants to give some snow in the west and midlands xmas day

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

the updated one or from earlier?

The one rolling out now. Puts -6s uppers over Ireland on xmas day and gives snow to North and Western counties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Paddy Power giving odds of 7/2 for snow to be recorded at Dublin Airport on Christmas day, for the non betting folks on here, that would give you a 45 Euro return for a 10 Euro bet...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

A couple of weeks ago I said something along the lines of "I won't believe it until MT Says it".

This morning I opened my e-mail clicked on the Daily forecast boards mail and my range of emotions over the next 15 seconds was :eek::confused::eek::):D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Some nice output over the last number of runs but way too early to be getting excited. Promising signs i would say but we need these charts at 96h. Fingers crossed it will pan out the way we want.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Some nice output over the last number of runs but way too early to be getting excited. Promising signs i would say but we need these charts at 96h. Fingers crossed it will pan out the way we want.

96, if even :D We'll probably get to the point of lampost watching again :cool:

touts wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I said something along the lines of "I won't believe it until MT Says it".

This morning I opened my e-mail clicked on the Daily forecast boards mail and my range of emotions over the next 15 seconds was :eek::confused::eek::):D

he is still advising caution for next week! but the bigger picture into 2015 looks promising. still though with ireland and snow its always knife edge stuff especially the further south you go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Paddy Power giving odds of 7/2 for snow to be recorded at Dublin Airport on Christmas day, for the non betting folks on here, that would give you a 45 Euro return for a 10 Euro bet...

Might get on it...if some of the charts verify it will be place 45 euro to get ten back...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Gfs 06z say no to anything bar the north and west for some snow next week.But I'll wait till the 12z before I get to concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Fitzgerald's park?

Yup - isn't it purty? :pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

Might get on it...if some of the charts verify it will be place 45 euro to get ten back...

That's not how Paddy operates. He would love people to bet and win on this. It would hit every newspaper the world over. Get the money on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Come on snow!!! Would love to see a white Christmas. I had a bit of a giggle when I heard Evelyn say earlier, too early to predict Christmas itself. Definite change of tune. If the charts keep improving, Gerry 'mr sleet' might even be preparing the toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Or perhaps the return of "The Eagle"?? ;)

leahyl wrote: »
    Yup - isn't it purty? :pac:;)

it sure is! this could be the year - winter 2014/2015!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭numilus cimbus

-6 uppers are not cold enough for low ground snow in precipitation in off the Atlantic except well inland or in the Lee of hills
    You'd only have a wintry mix with those uppers, with most populous places getting cold sleety rain showers
    Those uppers even from the East/NE would be watery

For snow at all levels at uppers of say -2 to -6c you need either a blast of surface cold air(sea level to 1000ft) feeding in and negative dew points or you need an already local cold pool in situ from a previous cold spell typically with snow cover already well established

We got those things at times in 2010,they are not there in the Xmas day charts shown above though might develop gradually over the following week if a sinking piece of polar vortex drags down -9 ,-10 or colder uppers preferably from Scandinavia without the Atlantic mixing
    A sustained northern flow will always veer between northwest and Northeast, so over time the flow would contain all the ingredients we got in 2010 meaning a lot of sea effect snow showers in Ulster north connaught,west Munster, Leinster and east Munster depending on the variation of northern on the day,north,northwest or northeast

So in a nutshell don't be expecting much at first, lets see what develops
    Caveat too,this is all in FI yet.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Sorry lads, just stuck a tenner on a white Christmas. My betting history pretty much means there's no chance of snow at Xmas this year which is the desired effect as mobility is required on Xmas Eve

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Hero777

LFCFan wrote: »
    Sorry lads, just stuck a tenner on a white Christmas. My betting history pretty much means there's no chance of snow at Xmas this year which is the desired effect as mobility is required on Xmas Eve

Gotta love Betfair Exchange. got 6-1 on it. Happy out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Off to buy new bulbs for the garden lamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Off to buy new bulbs for the garden lamps.

... off to buy garden lamps ;):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I think after Christmas is the best chance of seeing something interesting. Strat warming in late Dec hopefully might bring about an interesting change early in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭geosynchronous orbit

Our MT, who art in Canada,
    hallowed be thy name,
    thy forecast come, thy will be done
    now as it is in Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MR PIGGY

DAMN YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

darn it.

i've gotten to a stage every year that unless i see it falling i don't have high hopes. all my optimism has faded away

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You must bet alot on your team so:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Just passed where they store the salt in my area and they have nothing yet this year. They usually have a mountain stored there this time of year.

You know the weather, it loves to attack just when the county councils are completely unprepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lucreto wrote: »
    Just passed where they store the salt in my area and they have nothing yet this year. They usually have a mountain stored there this time of year.

You know the weather, it loves to attack just when the county councils are completely unprepared.

How could you see inside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Our MT, who art in Canada,
    hallowed be thy name,
    thy forecast come, thy will be done
    now as it is in Norway.
    Give us this Christmas, our yearly snowfall
    And deliver us from rain
    as we forgive those who wish for sun against us
    and lead us not into aspiration
    but deliver us a blizzard