Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

davidsr20 wrote: »
    This winter has been pretty much a big disappointment again this year in terms of cold.
    I think it's maybe time to accept that 2010 was a once off :(

There is a long way to go yet, I would rather get any cold now and get an early spring.
    Back in 2013 we got cold late spring which was a disaster for the country with a lack of feed for livestock.
    Back in winter 2010/2011, we got an early Spring and no snow after the November/December big freeze.

We could get a lot of snow yet.
    I don't want it so while you and others do and think we might get none, I am on the other side thinking we could get a lot yet as winter has time on its side.
    The irony lol.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

kinda surprised so many people are dissapointed with today, it's an Atlantic westerly sourced brief cold snap, these spells rarely deliver nothing more than sleety rain most of the time with any lying snow confined to high ground.

For dry powder lying snow we need the beast from the east and it's 4 years since we have seen any sort of sniff of an easterly. These westerly and northern topplers usually only result in a bit of lying snow in the north-west, on very rare occassions it works out for east.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I'm writing off this winter for snow, the trend hasn't come good this year, hope I'm very wrong on this but see ye all again next November!
    I spotted this post yesterday and I came to the same conclusion a few weeks ago. The toppler theme to continue for the rest of the month and the first half of Feb I would think. The Greenland PV and the Azores will just not go away and high latitude blocking looks extremely unlikely.
    Hope I'm 100% wrong too.

gfs-0-168.png?0

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

15011306_1106.gif

Latest Euro4 going for snow accumulations

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    kinda surprised so many people are dissapointed with today, it's an Atlantic westerly sourced brief cold snap, these spells rarely deliver nothing more than sleety rain most of the time with any lying snow confined to high ground.

Most of the easterlies over the last 2 or 3 winters have not brought much more in terms of snow than the bog standard westerlies. I agree though that for parts of the country a 'beast from the east' is best for snow, but equally, if not more so, a true Arctic northerly is more favored.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Guys i was just watching the uk farming weather forcast
    It looks like show is expected in parts of Ireland next week...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

MikeSoys wrote: »

What kind of show Mike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Damn you auto correct 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

MikeSoys wrote: »

I know someone who's a window cleaner, he prefers the bbc weather forecast as its more accurate to RTE especially Evelyn Cusack & her 'wicked wink' :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Maybe, maybe, maybe... ;)

15011312_1200.gif

15011318_1200.gif

gfs-7-36.png?0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There's no show like a snow show(er).

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

MK mentioned easterly winds at the end of the month, beast from the east maybe? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

john why wrote: »
    MK mentioned easterly winds at the end of the month, beast from the east maybe? ?

A wheeze from the east is more likely. Probably will be settled, very frosty nights, maybe the odd flurry off the sea, but its not looking like anything remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Just seen this on the TV weather update from met eireann

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A wheeze from the east is more likely. Probably will be settled, very frosty nights, maybe the odd flurry off the sea, but its not looking like anything remarkable.

I'd take that set up, any day, over a raging/zonal Atlantic. If we can't have snow, cold and frosty would do nicely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Larbre34 wrote: »
    That'd be great. Bright, cold/ crisp days and nights - I'd take that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Just seen this on the TV weather update from met eireann

what did you see?

SORRY HERE IT IS :) Just seen this on the TV weather update from met Eireann...snow and shleet was the words used :)

SORRY HERE IT IS :) Just seen this on the TV weather update from met Eireann...snow and shleet was the words used :)

Ah very good. Looks like wintry shower alright. waiting for a kermit de frog snow everywhere update!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

My momma told me there'd be days like this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Trying to remember a radar site we used to watch here in 2010. I think it was Hirlam or a Norwegian site which had a prediction of weather fronts crossing Ireland. Am I raving or was there such a site? Any help will be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Yr.no,perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

By 5pm band of organised showers approaching the west coast. These mostly of rain/sleet. Increasing turning wintry as time progresses.

3hr-rain.gif?1512

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

As per usual in these scenarios... would be handy if all posts concerning the potential for snow over the next 2 days could be confined to one thread and not two, as is whats happening now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

I posted in wrong thread by mistake, please accept my humblest of apologies highline and I hope you didn't exert too much energy toing and froing from thread to thread.

yorlum11 wrote: »
    Trying to remember a radar site we used to watch here in 2010. I think it was Hirlam or a Norwegian site which had a prediction of weather fronts crossing Ireland. Am I raving or was there such a site? Any help will be appreciated.

http://www.dmi.dk/vejr/til-lands/vejrkort/

this may have been the one

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

@munsterlegend that is the very one. Many thanks!!

the latest from met eireann.

12 January 2015 16:03

Today
    Showery outbreaks of rain and sleet will develop in the west this evening, with a risk of thunder along the coast. Elsewhere will be dry for a time.

Tonight

The rain and sleet will spread further east tonight, turning to snow in places, but tending to die out. However, frequent wintry showers will develop across the western half of the country as the night goes on, giving a covering of snow in places there before morning. Otherwise, sharp ground frost and icy stretches will develop, despite southwesterly winds being fresh or strong overnight. Lowest temperatures plus 2 to minus 2 degrees.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Tuesday, will be bitterly cold, with strong and gusty southwesterly winds. Wintry showers will become widespread and many will fall as snow, with some accumulations. Highest temperatures only 1 to 4 degrees.
    nat00_weather.png?1803
    nat01_weather.png?1803

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

the latest from met eireann.
    ...but tending to die out...

That bit in the forecast has me not excited! :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I'd take that set up, any day, over a raging/zonal Atlantic. If we can't have snow, cold and frosty would do nicely! :)

+1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement