Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

I think that's the end of the snow for Dublin for a while- no lamp post watching for me

Really what makes you say that? The pros on here seem to think we'll get some over the weekend and into next week. How much is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

john why wrote: »
    Really what makes you say that? The pros on here seem to think we'll get some over the weekend and into next week. How much is anyone's guess.

Could be trying reverse psychology!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

Could be trying reverse psychology!

Hopefully it works:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

I've just been up along the Military Road, drove from the viewing point over the city to just before Glencree, there is a beautiful dusting of snow to report, not much, but it is an encouraging sign! A proper fall of snow and it'll be a winter wonderland up here!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looking at the charts, the easterly is now gone. Forecast on RTE earlier also shows no more easterly and showers mainly in the west and north before the Atlantic sets back in next Wednesday. Monday could still see some sleety rain with snow in some spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

john why wrote: »

Just what people are saying about easterly disappearing and mainly west and North next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Currently a very frosty ,0.3 c in Arklow with a dp of -2c ,if any showers would like to make their presence felt overnight, we'll take good care of your flakes, promise you they won't melt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

So is that it for tonigh - no snow event for the rest of the country? I was looking forward to an evening of lampost watching but I guess an early night is on the cards now :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

For those of you in the east suffering from the perpetual snow drought, here's a snowy clip from the rare auld times. :)

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0115/672875-snow-and-hazardous-conditions-1985/

For those of you in the east suffering from the perpetual snow drought, here's a snowy clip from the rare auld times. :)

sadly(or maybe happily :D) I'm of an age that I remember that very well,I was living in Goatstown South Dublin at the time
    It went on for over a week and I distinctly remember the lunchtime radio one forecast talking about a shallow low off the Wexford coast that drifted North up the Irish Sea
    On the first snowy day,it snowed on and off from about 8am Untill noon,dropping a few inches
    The following day,it started again around 10am and went on all day,that was the day of the shallow low,several more inches
    Much of the East was affected,busses stopped early in Dublin
    At the end of the week,a weather front approached from the south and that was some lamp watching night,it snowed like blazes overnight and the following day but was turning to rain/sleet at that stage in the city centre/donnybrook/UCD area but carried on snowing up in Goatstown/Dundrum
    Quite a fall and one of the glorious frequent 1980s easterlies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

Judging my the latest TV forecast, there doesn't look like much in store for the East Tonight or Tomorrow unfortunately. Gerry did mention a trough moving down from the North tomorrow night that could bring snowfall but he wasn't very specific. Excuse my ignorance but, what's a trough and could it bring low level snow?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it seems to have gone all pear shaped once again for the east, the easterly has gone pear shaped for everywhere tho as well with the Atlantic moving right across to russia over the next week. For starters it isn't even cold in Europe now either. This does not look good as we enter the final phase of winter proper. The east may get a few flurries later if we are lucky. Monday will probably be a cold wet mess away from high ground.

Im still holding onto hope that we will see something worthwhile before the end of February.

An enhanced area of showers basically and in that flow,probably snow

http. ://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trough_(meteorology)

Just fix the link as I can't post a full link due to being under 50 posts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

An enhanced area of showers basically and in that flow,probably snow

http. ://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trough_(meteorology)

Just fix the link as I can't post a full link due to being under 50 posts

You should just stay around then ! :pac:

Here ya go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trough_(meteorology)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Gonzo wrote: »
    it seems to have gone all pear shaped once again for the east, the easterly has gone pear shaped for everywhere tho as well with the Atlantic moving right across to russia over the next week. For starters it isn't even cold in Europe now either. This does not look good as we enter the final phase of winter proper. The east may get a few flurries later if we are lucky. Monday will probably be a cold wet mess away from high ground.

Im still holding onto hope that we will see something worthwhile before the end of February.

"For starters it isn't even cold in Europe now either". And there you have it - the reason I did not buy into the easterly flagged earlier this week.

At the moment it is +6oC in Berlin - Dublin is colder at the moment, hovering just above freezing point. Over the coming week, Berlin's daytime temperatures will hover between 3 - 6oC. As long as we have this scenario, its very unlikely Ireland will get snow from an easterly wind.

So let's keep it simple folks. Europe has to be in the fridge first before the east coast will get decent snow. The failed easterly (even it had come off) was not particularly cold.

Finally Gonzo, don't be too disappointed - it's only the 16th January. Ireland and Europe can be in the freezer in a month's time with decent snow fall. So all to play for :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

"All to play for" .........and those immortal words echo across the land!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

derekon wrote: »
    "For starters it isn't even cold in Europe now either". And there you have it - the reason I did not buy into the easterly flagged earlier this week.

At the moment it is +6oC in Berlin - Dublin is colder at the moment, hovering just above freezing point. Over the coming week, Berlin's daytime temperatures will hover between 3 - 6oC. As long as we have this scenario, its very unlikely Ireland will get snow from an easterly wind.

So let's keep it simple folks. Europe has to be in the fridge first before the east coast will get decent snow. The failed easterly (even it had come off) was not particularly cold.

Finally Gonzo, don't be too disappointed - it's only the 16th January. Ireland and Europe can be in the freezer in a month's time with decent snow fall. So all to play for :D

D

Your wrong! It's going to come from Greenland, it's will track over near Scotland & stop. Then it takes a turn for portrush
    (cutting out the IOM)slow moving down along the east coast as far as Waterford then it turns inland and dump 2 meters of snow across the hole country (except Cork)😜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

derekon wrote: »

D
    We don't need Europe to be in the fridge to get an easterly & even if we did get an easterly from a cold pool in Europe it doesn't guarantee snow more like cold & dry from what others have said on here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

delw wrote: »
    We don't need Europe to be in the fridge to get an easterly & even if we did get an easterly from a cold pool in Europe it doesn't guarantee snow more like cold & dry from what others have said on here
    yeah, need a good north easterly for guaranteed snow
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

yeah, need a good north easterly for guaranteed snow
    :cool:
    Well probably a better chance but no guarantees when it comes to weather :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

I think we need to brace ourselves for a fortnight of boring nothing much happening weather. Although I have plenty to be at around the house and outside to do, a bit of exciting weather helps the winter pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

legomaniac wrote: »
    I think we need to brace ourselves for a fortnight of boring nothing much happening weather. Although I have plenty to be at around the house and outside to do, a bit of exciting weather helps the winter pass.

Sounds grand to me. Spent much of the morning trying to get the house back in order.. everything takes at least twice as long in bad weather. And I have travels ahead sorting tour routes etc. My new enterprise! Need a day at Mizen Head and it was postponed of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Aircraft Freak

looks like the snow is cancelled for the east?

unfortunately yes. there just isn't enough cold in place and when there is it's a westerly/northerly that dies a death on it's way to us.
    The next 2 weeks looks like a yawn fest, however we still have February to play for. Once we hit March there still could be something but with the increased daylight hours and warmth of the sun I just start to lose interest by then.

The west of Ireland has been steeped with luck with plenty of thunder, lightning, hail, stormy conditions and snow to keep any winter fan stocked for another year. It's been a dire un-eventfull winter so far in most of Leinster, even Rachel was a big let down around here.

no! not really. its plenty cold enough tomorrow and monday the problem is not enough precipitation as far as i can see. chances of a few snow showers on the east to northeast sunday and monday is 60%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Gonzo wrote: »
    unfortunately yes. there just isn't enough cold in place and when there is it's a westerly/northerly that dies a death on it's way to us.
    The next 2 weeks looks like a yawn fest, however we still have February to play for. Once we hit March there still could be something but with the increased daylight hours and warmth of the sun I just start to lose interest by then.

The west of Ireland has been steeped with luck with plenty of thunder, lightning, hail, stormy conditions and snow to keep any winter fan stocked for another year. It's been a dire un-eventfull winter so far in most of Leinster, even Rachel was a big let down around here.

Same in South Munster as predicted a long time ago. This has been a typical winter weather wise all that's been any different is the ramping on the Internet and in the press. Still a bit of time to go but thankfully Spring will hopefully be upon us in the next 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

West Munster was not a winter wonderland at all. The most anything stuck for was about an hour or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

I was looking forward to a decent frost tomorrow morning and even that's looking unlikely. The talk of -7 seems to have been as airy fairy as the snow. I'm in South Donegal, no snow. Ok I'm near the coast but if we can't get it here now well not much hope for the East. Some parts in Tyrone and Derry are getting some falls but nothing to get excited about. I was always sceptical about this forecasted snow. Surely the continent go has to be freezing with loads of snow if an easterly is to bring it to Ireland. I had a look at temperatures for some European cities today... Berlin and Amsterdam are milder than Dublin!

• Advertisement

-8 uppers for tomorrow and going into monday morning. all good for snow.
    gfs-1-30.png?12
    in a good northerly tomorrow.
    gfs-0-30.png?12
    some precipitation around for the north east tomorrow morning.
    gfs-2-18.png?12

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement