Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snow in Malaga and North Africa forecast on that, it all seems a bit unfair!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Surely with a NE wind on that chart, the Irish sea should have some development.

Anyone big into convection/shower development parameters have any insight?

EDIT: Looking at the zoomed in charts for just Ireland and the UK, the Winds are not as NE as the zoomed out suggests, and by the time the winds actually switch to a favourable NE for the East, pressure is rather too high for much to happen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Supercell wrote: »
    Snow in Malaga and North Africa forecast on that, it all seems a bit unfair!

that just proves how inaccurate those snow charts are, not a chance of snow falling Malaga or any of the well known coastal resorts, I don't think they have ever seen snow there! Rain most likely and about 10-12C which is exceptionally cold for there, even in winter! further inland on the nearby mountains should see some snow however.

http://www.aemet.es/en/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios/malaga-id29067

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I presume everyone is already aware of the current Yellow Status Snow-Ice warning in place

http://m.met.ie/weather-warnings.aspx?t=National

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

gozunda wrote: »
    I presume everyone is already aware of the current Yellow Status Snow-Ice warning in place

http://m.met.ie/weather-warnings.aspx?t=National

I am driving from Galway to Limerick early in the morning. Should be fun. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

I am driving from Galway to Limerick early in the morning. Should be fun. :(

Safe travel,take care.

Wow, great day on Galtymore today. Some lovely lovely deep snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

That's the way to do it! If the snow won't come to you, you go to the snow. It's not quite the same as having it in your back garden, but it does ease the symptoms of snow addiction quite a bit. Kinda like methadone vs heroin. I'm hoping for some relief to be available on the Wicklow Mts this week as I can't see the white gold being smuggled to low levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

hope you reported that body you found in the snow

Rougies wrote: »
    That's the way to do it! If the snow won't come to you, you go to the snow. It's not quite the same as having it in your back garden, but it does ease the symptoms of snow addiction quite a bit. Kinda like methadone vs heroin. I'm hoping for some relief to be available on the Wicklow Mts this week as I can't see the white gold being smuggled to low levels.

Heroin isn't as addictive as snow tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What were the conditions for climbing like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

knew you were going to climb when you asked for photos the other day

gozunda wrote: »
    What were the conditions for climbing like?

Absolutely perfect. The snow was only really deep in drifts. It was lovely soft "dry" snow too. The snow line started around 450-500m. Visibility was excellent. The top was a bit blustery and there was a lot of loose snow/ice flying around in gusts so glasses would be advised.

It was quite busy up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Another Snow fix from 2010, going from Rathnew to Glenealy on two different days,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

-16 DP in Scotland? Ouch....

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ark rose glenn

Any snow falling out there yet ... Are we gonna get any snow tonight in Dublin ???

knew you were going to climb when you asked for photos the other day

Have you been up there recently blackbird? You are my man/woman in Tipp now ;) Please keep me posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,994 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭C0MM0D0RE64

That looks awesome mate!

Shame we haven't had any down here in the South-East, We drove up to Wicklow on Saturday night and there was still some left over and it started to snow just as we left around 9pm

I grew up in Wales and miss the winters we had, Brecon Beacons in the winter especially when the snow falls really is something else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

Long term forecasts for start of feb looking good for snow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

The12thMan wrote: »
    Long term forecasts for start of feb looking good for snow

The forecast yesterday looked good for snow last night, i'm all for snow but as we head into february, i start to lose interest to be honest, sun gets a bit warmer, temps rise a bit more, and spring is in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Til next year. Over and out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

flanzer wrote: »

You'll be back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

flanzer wrote: »

I concur, see you guys next November, hope I'm wrong there but I think it's time to come back down to earth for snow for this winter! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^
    Mean temps for February are generally the same as January, coldest two months of the year in Ireland.

Doesn't mean of course that this Feb will be as cold as this Jan, but it does mean we still have a good chance of snowy weather well into the middle of next month.

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/SnowfallAnal.pdf

Page 10 gives you an idea of when and how much snow falls on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

seamus wrote: »
    ^^

Met Eireann should really rename that pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

seamus wrote: »
    ^^
    Mean temps for February are generally the same as January, coldest two months of the year in Ireland.

Doesn't mean of course that this Feb will be as cold as this Jan, but it does mean we still have a good chance of snowy weather well into the middle of next month.

Yeah but When was the last time we got meaningful snow in February, i cant remember it here anywhere, maybe a day or 2 then gone, but nothing substantial

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Disappointing to get nothing last night. Training pitches frozen solid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yeah but When was the last time we got meaningful snow in February, i cant remember it here anywhere, maybe a day or 2 then gone, but nothing substantial
    A day or two sounds great tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

That's it for another winter. Very disappointing weather wise. November and December were mild and wet here in South Donegal though thankfully unusually calm with only a few days with strong winds. Hardly any frost. January brought a bit of a difference with 1 day of lying snow (3 cm in my back garden). Windy at time with Rachel bringing a strong gale but nothing that we normally don't get 3 or 4 times in a normal winter. As I have said several times I dread the power of the wind so I'm not to upset over lack of storms this year but I enjoy the snow. I enjoy those well below 0° mornings of hard frosts and ice. Nothing decent since 2010. Though the thing about 2010 here was the depth of the frosts and the low temperatures, not snow depth. I had about 6 cm lying for 5 days so it wasn't very deep but it was bitter cold.

Anyway I think I will give the boards a bit of a break for a while as there's nothing happening at all weather wise for the next fortnight. Thanks to everyone for their input and expertise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not true...Many of us are here for wider reasons! If snow comes fine if it does not fine also. The need is to be prepared and safe whatever comes and thus to know what is coming . Gut wrenching? REALLY!

hi graces not at all disheartening would be the word I would be an avid weather fan I make no excuses for that I am on here for my own personal reasons too. yes four sons four years and zero snow in the east. .....im afraid it stems from a wonderful childhood with power cuts hurricanes big snows and I want my lads to experience the same. its a very easy trap to fall into model watching and I make no excuses for that either but that's my personal hobby and time out and sometimes we do take it to heart. but your right preparation and safety first as always . I hope you understand. cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement