Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

legomaniac wrote: »
    That's it for another winter. Very disappointing weather wise. November and December were mild and wet here in South Donegal though thankfully unusually calm with only a few days with strong winds. Hardly any frost. January brought a bit of a difference with 1 day of lying snow (3 cm in my back garden). Windy at time with Rachel bringing a strong gale but nothing that we normally don't get 3 or 4 times in a normal winter. As I have said several times I dread the power of the wind so I'm not to upset over lack of storms this year but I enjoy the snow. I enjoy those well below 0° mornings of hard frosts and ice. Nothing decent since 2010. Though the thing about 2010 here was the depth of the frosts and the low temperatures, not snow depth. I had about 6 cm lying for 5 days so it wasn't very deep but it was bitter cold.

Anyway I think I will give the boards a bit of a break for a while as there's nothing happening at all weather wise for the next fortnight. Thanks to everyone for their input and expertise.

A shame to be a quitter; we do get weather every day and the skies are always changing and fascinating. A lot to learn too..;)

hi graces not at all disheartening would be the word I would be an avid weather fan I make no excuses for that I am on here for my own personal reasons too. yes four sons four years and zero snow in the east. .....im afraid it stems from a wonderful childhood with power cuts hurricanes big snows and I want my lads to experience the same. its a very easy trap to fall into model watching and I make no excuses for that either but that's my personal hobby and time out and sometimes we do take it to heart. but your right preparation and safety first as always . I hope you understand. cheers

Thanks for this.. I do "understand" believe me but the extreme language! To think of hurricanes and power cuts and big snows as wonderful when they damage and even kill is strange to me. Life is precious and vulnerable. I have lost too many of my family to extreme weather to think else...and last night up here was a harsh one. And yes you are living in the wrong country! 2010 was an appalling experience for me and many. Breathtakingly lovely but not safe or pleasant. Maybe take the lads on adventure holidays is a better way? Safer too and great guaranteed fun ;) And maybe Canada would suit you; they are many feet in snow just now. Land is cheap there too..;)

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

MT's forecast this morning is a real death-knell for snow lovers.
    Time to embrace the stretch in the evenings.
    Time to get back out on the bike & walking the dog.
    Time to look forward to the first buds of Spring.
    Goodbye Winter 2014/15, will be remembered for the storm that never happened & the snow that never fell.

We have wonderful SUNSHINE up here now! Beautiful!:)

Goodbye Winter 2014/15, will be remembered for the storm that never happened & the snow that never fell.

For the laughter that this evoked, thank you! We had that storm up here believe me! I did not abandon my snug bed for an air mattress downstairs lightly.... Oh this post is so funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

jesus-wepting.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Its like a soap here with all the dramatic statements. saying winter is over on the 20th of January beggars belief.

Its like a soap here with all the dramatic statements. saying winter is over on the 20th of January beggars belief.
    They're all experts lad;)

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

How could you . . . on the day Deirdre Barlow died, what kind of animal are you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Slipping away but certainly not over. We are stuck in a zzzzzzonal rut that is very difficult to get of as I predicted and saw coming about a month ago- in other words short not very potent PM shots (one between Xmas and new year and this current one) but with zonality banality the dominant pattern. As far as I'm concerned we will have to put up with this Azores pattern for another three weeks at least and maybe mid Feb will see a complete pattern change.
    As usual I hope I'm wrong and we see something interesting a lot sooner!

• Advertisement

Ah a glorious rainbow up here now! Bliss!.. off to enjoy it.. back later

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Macy0161 wrote: »
    A day or two sounds great tbh!

Yes indeedy !

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Slipping away but certainly not over. We are stuck in a zzzzzzonal rut that is very difficult to get of as I predicted and saw coming about a month ago- in other words short not very potent PM shots (one between Xmas and new year and this current one) but with zonality banality the dominant pattern. As far as I'm concerned we will have to put up with this Azores pattern for another three weeks at least and maybe mid Feb will see a complete pattern change.
    As usual I hope I'm wrong and we see something interesting a lot sooner!

I'm sticking cotton wool balls to the end of my window and then I'm off to fantasy Island for a bit......however I still have hope for Dublin CC, there is always hope....isn't there ......yes yes NMB there is always hope she whispers to herslf as she drops anchor and dives into the lagoon and swims towards the bright tropical Isle of F.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

isnt the first day of spring 1st feb ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

This say otherwise: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=snow;sess=

check out start of Feb

MetEireann have spring starting on 1st of March.

How could you . . . on the day Deirdre Barlow died, what kind of animal are you

Life must go on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

1947 Winter didn't start till 22/23rd Jan....keep the faith all...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

No no no no no!!!!
    The first day of spring is when the Donegal postman says its the first day of spring!!
    Last i heard he was snowed in up in the montains there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I remember being in the Canary Island at Easter a few years ago and getting calls from home about all the snow in Ireland, give it a chance long way to go yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

The end of January could see some very cold weather once more judging by latest FI GFS charts.

Yesterday they said mild SW but its been quite a varied Winter and most seasons continue as they start e.g Wet is wet always, stormy is stormy etc

This year has been mobile and varied so more snow is nearly certain before February is out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yeah but When was the last time we got meaningful snow in February, i cant remember it here anywhere, maybe a day or 2 then gone, but nothing substantial

Apart from 2009, February has been a distinctly Spring like month in recent years with very little winterly weather.

Aerohead wrote: »
    I remember being in the Canary Island at Easter a few years ago and getting calls from home about all the snow in Ireland, give it a chance long way to go yet.
    2/3 years ago we had a right good bit of snow round early march fizzled out after paddy's day, had a good dumping paddy's day morning as me and the better half were in Ashbourne with kids and whoring down of the white stuff;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

this winter has been really good compared to last winter. the non event for me means that the hype was built up to more than it ended up being. im guilty of the hype myself but thats the beauty of model watching and weather in general.
    im loving this winter its been very cold and lots of frost. loads of snow in terms of last 2 winters. so as much as i want snow in my area its still great to see others getting it.

i think with the way things have gone so far this winter "northwest" and cold conditions have stayed with us for some time. i have a feeling that february will produce a significant snow event in ireland. (few days)
    lets see :)

For me the last week has been a total drain of all my resources. Just surviving and keeping critters fed and keeping as warm as is possible given my financial limitations. ( and I have no complaints re the pensions here.. deeply grateful to be able to live independently)Last night was so cold here. I was chilled to the marrow..took hours to get warm But just no strength left for the work I seek to do for others in these elder years. Right now I could weep with exhaustion and am relieved that things may be a little easier now. The trouble with weather is that it is not optional! I cannot stop the cold up here and you cannot make it snow where you are. I hate not being able to do something for others. Hate it! Will take me days to recoup... the challenge many of you find and enjoy in severe weather is a kind of death for me.. reduced to simply surviving. At my age that is something I need to leave behind! I can do it but it proves nothing. Sunshine and rainbows are a peace. Long may it last.. and thanks for the company here... Blessings to all! from a Kerry septagenarian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

No no no no no!!!!
    The first day of spring is when the Donegal postman says its the first day of spring!!
    Last i heard he was snowed in up in the montains there!
    winter for me has always been dec, jan, feb
    :cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thanks for this.. I do "understand" believe me but the extreme language! To think of hurricanes and power cuts and big snows as wonderful when they damage and even kill is strange to me. Life is precious and vulnerable. I have lost too many of my family to extreme weather to think else...and last night up here was a harsh one. And yes you are living in the wrong country! 2010 was an appalling experience for me and many. Breathtakingly lovely but not safe or pleasant. Maybe take the lads on adventure holidays is a better way? Safer too and great guaranteed fun ;) And maybe Canada would suit you; they are many feet in snow just now. Land is cheap there too..;)

thanks graces I really value your input and apologise for my extreme language and for the hardships you have had in the past I suppose I should of been a bit more reserved in my wording. .... it was an honest reply and I am sorry for any offense taken.2010 was an appalling situation here too but great memories were made too and it was home not abroad. my whole family have emigrated or already live in Canada would be dream but unfortunately the little guy cant fly and I would never leave him in a zillion years till he is older. thank you for the heads up and cheers again graces

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ah a glorious rainbow up here now! Bliss!.. off to enjoy it.. back later

How do you enjoy a rainbow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

A while back there were reports that this may be the coldest winter in a long time. Are these reports likely to come true, or is it too late?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

A while back there were reports that this may be the coldest winter in a long time. Are these reports likely to come true, or is it too late?

Too late I'd say with no deep freeze likely before February, an unremarkable Dec, average Jan so far, very unlikely to trouble the record books

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement