Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

A while back there were reports that this may be the coldest winter in a long time. Are these reports likely to come true, or is it too late?

We get those reports every year from the Daily Mail and from some clown in the southern hemisphere.
    wait a few weeks and you'll read about the record breaking heatwave and droughts that await us in the summer months

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

thanks graces I really value your input and apologise for my extreme language and for the hardships you have had in the past I suppose I should of been a bit more reserved in my wording. .... it was an honest reply and I am sorry for any offense taken.2010 was an appalling situation here too but great memories were made too and it was home not abroad. my whole family have emigrated or already live in Canada would be dream but unfortunately the little guy cant fly and I would never leave him in a zillion years till he is older. thank you for the heads up and cheers again graces

For this reply, thank you.. I am actually so muddle headed i thought I was posting in the other thread...Donegal was in all a dreadful time. It is different when you are younger! I can cope with most things but last year I broke a wrist badly and it seems to have affected my whole system so I am getting used to different ways. I wish had better memories of the 2010 snow but asking neighbours to help get fuel and being refused left a bad taste indeed. Finally I took my small front wheel drive out in desperation on 3 inch ice then got stuck on the way back and was badly yelled at for being out at all. Shamed them verbally then and all the guys who had refused to help had to turn out to get my car back to the house and off the road. I will help anyone in trouble myself. Here it is easier; I have a good landlord who I have been able to help with paperwork and they are kinder folk mostly... we will survive. Sorry re the wee lad but sea crossings are grand! Life is very expensive out there too though.... again thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

How do you enjoy a rainbow

If you need to ask that then nothing anyone can say can help you....;):rolleyes:That was a glorious one today against the snow

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

got this website today gives you really local weather conditions good to see what is happening http://www.wunderground.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

winter for me has always been dec, jan, feb
    :cool::cool:

And then when nothing happens it'll be march april may and before you know where you are, your'e wondering why the summer is so cold when its in fact October ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Forget any human based calendar system. Winter starts when things get icy \ snowy and ends when the days warm up and leaves start to bud. Some years winter doesn't happen at all. Other years winter happens twice (like last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Winter is over when the ruhbarb reappears from the ground, at least mine anyway.
    Still no sign yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

1947 Winter didn't start till 22/23rd Jan....keep the faith all...

Later than that I think....when I was a kid folklore had it as "the last day of January till St Patrick's Day".

Of course folklore isn't science - or history!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

kkontour wrote: »
    Winter is over when the ruhbarb reappears from the ground, at least mine anyway.
    Still no sign yet.
    Later than that I think....when I was a kid folklore had it as "the last day of January till St Patrick's Day".

Of course folklore isn't science - or history!

According to Ireland's Arctic Siege book that i have here...
    " On 19th of January a cold easterly regime set in " as 2 dominant anyticylones over both Scandinavia and Greenland while deep depressions followed tracks south of Ireland .

" Theres was a strange occurence in Dublin on the morning of Sunday the 26th , at exactly 10:27am. People in their homes and at mass felt a queer , quivering sensation. Children asked puzzled parents what it was. According to the seismograph at the Jesuit house of Rathfarnham Castle it was a "fairly large eartquake " which lasted sporadically until about noon. Shotly therafter at 1:30pm , Dublin had its first real snowfall of the winter . With temperature reaching -8C over the following few nights ice flows started flowing down the river liffey... "

Iancar29 wrote: »
    According to Ireland's Arctic Siege book that i have here...

Have that book too, brilliant work..read it a couple of years ago; forgot the early arrival of the Beasterlies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

Lovely snow fallen at the Liverpool v chelsea game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Yeah but When was the last time we got meaningful snow in February, i cant remember it here anywhere, maybe a day or 2 then gone, but nothing substantial

Having had a quick look at that met E report.....(ahem, assumes knowledgable authoritative speaking voice)

Of the 8 events from the 19th C, 5 occurred after today's date.
    Of the 19 events from the 20th C, 12 occurred after today's date.

I make that a roughly 63% chance that if an event is going to happen, it's going to be after this point in the winter. Yet everyone seems to write February off as too late in the year. I find it baffling to be honest. One of the best snows of my life was a Feb event - knee deep it was. My friend an I trekked for an hour to get to school only to find it closed. I must've been about 11 or 12. Can't remember the exact year but I'm suspecting 86/87 (UK-southeast)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Not much in the charts to be excited about. Way ou in FI Can drops to nearly nation wide -28 uppers. Quite impressive looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Aircraft Freak

Well no snow in North Wicklow this morning, just wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Have that book too, brilliant work..read it a couple of years ago; forgot the early arrival of the Beasterlies.

Me too - I really enjoyed that book, scary thought even with modern houses heating systems and insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Ehmmm we're getting some tinie tiny flakes here in sandyford:confused: is that even possible or has my house developed its own climate?
    Now I'm talking very sparce tiny flakes but it's not even sleet as it's just floating down. Infrared cctv picks it up really well. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

definite feel of spring today, i suppose it could change but every few days or week that passes from now on the closer to longer days we get . there is a serious strech from here on to paddys day in evenings id say by 14th february we should be clear of winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Dickie10 wrote: »
    definite feel of spring today, i suppose it could change but every few days or week that passes from now on the closer to longer days we get . there is a serious strech from here on to paddys day in evenings id say by 14th february we should be clear of winter.
    :confused: its snowed 2 out the last 3 paddy's days if I remember correctly;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Pwindedd wrote: »
    Having had a quick look at that met E report.....(ahem, assumes knowledgable authoritative speaking voice)

Of the 8 events from the 19th C, 5 occurred after today's date.
    Of the 19 events from the 20th C, 12 occurred after today's date.

I make that a roughly 63% chance that if an event is going to happen, it's going to be after this point in the winter. Yet everyone seems to write February off as too late in the year. I find it baffling to be honest. One of the best snows of my life was a Feb event - knee deep it was. My friend an I trekked for an hour to get to school only to find it closed. I must've been about 11 or 12. Can't remember the exact year but I'm suspecting 86/87 (UK-southeast)

just saw my post, i actually meant here anyway as in where i live, not anywhere,

well im living in north meath going on 12 years now and i dont remember Significant snow here in february, i can remember a day in early march a couple of years ago but it was gone that evening.

I would love to see snow before winter is out, for the kids and this big child, but i just cant see it happening

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    definite feel of spring today.

I felt it too

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSu3ssy9v0KlRaf9Pe2fMzw5pQLUIik6mWYeGNw9DLSBDBjU7r1sQ

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Weird my mum said it was like spring down on east beach today while I emptied bottles. Said 4 degrees but you all felt the same.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tabnabs wrote: »

Webcam of Vik

http://vikjavev.no/

Doesn't look too bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Some good photos from Lugnaquilla here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Skycam-Ireland/575997309142272

336060.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

And from the same link above, Lug yesterday (click HD).....

I hope I'm in the right thread...if not feel free to shoot me.....

Some discussion between people claiming that post-January you don't get any "real" snow and those who disagree.

I've done a bit of research based on this location (Kilternan, South Dublin, asl 140m) based on my photo record and logbook of the past 10 years (2005 - 2014)

Taking only events which had a snowfall giving full ground cover (however light) and following which some (or all) of the snow persisted on the ground for 24 hours or more, the % of such events by month is:

Nov: 8%
    Dec: 20%
    Jan: 27%
    Feb: 22%
    Mar: 20%
    Apr: 2%

Eliminating Nov/Dec 2010 which seriously skews things the figures are:

Nov: 2%
    Dec: 8%
    Jan: 31%
    Feb: 29%
    Mar: 26%
    Apr: 4%

That would indicate that 60% of significant snow events at this location if you exclude 2010 occurred after January 31st.

Don't lose hope yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

if not feel free to shoot me.....

I'm sure some may happily oblige :)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Its been snowing here again, ground dusted white.

• Advertisement

Was wet and windy in dublin4.

High pressure in summer and high pressure in winter right over Ireland is all i want. Is that too much to ask?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement