Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Carnacalla wrote: »
    There is currently an orange warning in place by Met Eireann, which leaves me wondering why the Cold Spell thread was locked.....

More diverted than locked....I expect a new one very soon. Hopefully ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

There is currently an orange warning in place by Met Eireann, which leaves me wondering why the Cold Spell thread was locked.....

Anyway be careful in the morning if your driving!

With the cloud pouring south on Sat24 ,I highly doubt temperatures will go that low tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

637BED34CC9344A0BCCC5B83F6B46DBB-0000359205-0003724382-00640L-7CAD6C9F3C4D4628B65D33A50AC53608.jpg

78492DED1976421893D94E53574ACE2D-0000359205-0003724383-00640L-9C2961D8E1E54082876D2AA21971AD73.jpg

CA0BA3F51EA242DE8D152E19C069B3F0-0000359205-0003724385-00640L-DE1239BD89E84F05974BFFEDE1CF7E23.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Well it's 22:25 in Dublin 6 and -2. The thread was shut because all the people that were disappointed with the result of having their hopes built up and forgetting it's not an exact science let off steam in some inappropriate ways.
    Whereas the ungrateful feckers who paid for the roller coaster ride in the first place (by checking the thread every hour on the hour) didn't have the good grace to at least acknowledge the same forecasters for having the balls to put their money where their mouth is and write a forecast based on the technical tools that the rest of us onlookers are guessing at.

Thanks to everyone who contributed and stepped into the arena for all of Our entertainment.

"Were you not entertained ? " Oh yes we were for the last few day we were.
    Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant !!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

NMB wrote: »
    Well it's 22:25 in Dublin 6 and -2. The thread was shut because all the people that were disappointed with the result of having their hopes built up and forgetting it's not an exact science let off steam in some inappropriate ways.
    Whereas the ungrateful feckers who paid for the roller coaster ride in the first place (by checking the thread every hour on the hour) didn't have the good grace to at least acknowledge the same forecasters for having the balls to put their money where their mouth is and write a forecast based on the technical tools that the rest of us onlookers are guessing at.

Thanks to everyone who contributed and stepped into the arena for all of Our entertainment.

100% Agree . There should be a warning for occasional visitors.
    forecasting and model watching are two very different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

NMB wrote: »

This, I also want to thank the regulars for their forecasts, pictures and videos over the
    past week. I have not closed the thread in over a week hitting refresh nearly every 20 minutes. It was a great experience pity the 1mm of snow I got was a bit disappointing but got some lovely frosty weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ok question, because i saw a status earlier on, on facebook. snow chances for cork city tomorrow morning? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Iancar29 wrote: »
    With the cloud pouring south on Sat24 ,I highly doubt temperatures will go that low tonight.

-3.2c here, colder than it was this time last night. I suppose the temps will pick up before morning? (West clare)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    ok question, because i saw a status earlier on, on facebook. snow chances for cork city tomorrow morning? :confused:

No chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sunbabe08 wrote: »

Unlikely but possible if its early and cold.
    A cloudy day in the north and west tomorrow, bringing showery outbreaks of rain or sleet in places there, some wintry showers may develop on south Leinster coasts also later in the afternoon, otherwise the south and southeast will have sunny intervals. Winds remaining mostly light, northerly. Highest temperatures 5 to 8 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They called a halt to the Cold Spell thread too soon. It was not just about snow... Bitter cold here now and met ie has an Orange Alert out now. STATUS ORANGE

Low Temperature Warning for Munster and Leinster
    Air temperatures as low as -5 or -6 degrees Celsius will occur tonight.

Issued:Wednesday 04 February 2015 14:00
    Valid:Wednesday 04 February 2015 20:00 to Thursday 05 February 2015 10:00
    May change my plans to be out today as roads may be very bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Don't get the met eireann Orange warning it's far milder than the previous two mornings

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Valentia the coldest spot in the country this morning at -2c....don't see that too often. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Just 3 stations reporting sub-zero temps in the 0700hrs reports, Athenry (-2.0C), Markee (-1.0C) and Valentia (-1.0C)

No weather warnings currently in place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Anyone got a view of Galtymore today?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Just on the train back from Dublin to Limerick. Fantastic to see all the snow and ice pockets dotted all over the place. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Anybody have ideas on where the best place to find some decent snow, south of Dublin, but reachable by car? Dearest Snowflake and I did some work last weekend on The Venus of Tibradden Woods. Want to attempt something more ambitious this weekend, if possible :)

337815.JPG

I wondered that too and when I aw it around 3 am I queried it on the current weather conditions thread... but the post has vanished so am relieved to read this as I was starting to wonder if I had been dreaming

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Valentia the coldest spot in the country this morning at -2c....don't see that too often. :)

Tell me. Never been so cold in all my long life and still am

Don't get the met eireann Orange warning it's far milder than the previous two mornings

Not here in South Kerry.. at 3 am met it admitted to -1

• Advertisement

lolo62 wrote: »
    I always find myself checking out long range forecasts this time of year. My body literally starts to reject winter, I'm sick again this week (as I was last week too :() with another sinus infection. I love winter but it's the bleedin length of it I can't hack. 34 and still not accustomed to, might have to think about getting off the island!

Commiserating.. I have M. E and it bring poor body temp control. I cannot afford to heat the house more than a few hour a day and once or twice have been near hypothermia... NB my sinus issues vanished when I left a damp house.. go figure! NBI am over twice your age and still the same! But the mountains are so pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, much milder in the East this morning than Tues & Weds. Only needed one pair of gloves. Some spitting graupel on my way to work, but nothing major.

I don't think there will be frost anywhere by morning as it clouds over from the north. ME said it would only cloud over in the northwest but its unexpectedly spreading south very quickly.
    http://www.sat24.com/de/gb?ir=true

Excuse me but a hard hard frost here in South Kerry.. washing frozen stiff and ice on the dogs water bucket.. caught my collie breaking it with her mouth. AA roadwatch warned re icy roads around Tralee too

check the thread title, a true snow lover would never think in those terms:eek:

a scandi' high could develop according to the ec 32 day outlook, it has been fairly accurate thus far this winter

Absence makes the heart grow fonder!;) And familiarity breeds contempt

Checked aa roadwatch and decided to stay home when I saw that at 3 am

Graces7 wrote: »
    They called a halt to the Cold Spell thread too soon. It was not just about snow... Bitter cold here now and met ie has an Orange Alert out now. STATUS ORANGE

Low Temperature Warning for Munster and Leinster
    Air temperatures as low as -5 or -6 degrees Celsius will occur tonight.

Issued:Wednesday 04 February 2015 14:00
    Valid:Wednesday 04 February 2015 20:00 to Thursday 05 February 2015 10:00
    May change my plans to be out today as roads may be very bad...

Thought I posted this on current weather conditions.. ah well the delights of old age!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

5 minute video I took of driving through the snow here in Limerick, in the early hours of the 3rd of February. Sure you might as well take advantage of these situations when they occur! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭kindredspirit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Not the best quality, but you can see there is a decent bit of snow on the Reeks

Few pics
    16451541775_80301935e3_z.jpgyh
    16451508405_b401971103_z.jpgIMG_20150204
    15828995744_482fa48131_z.jpgIMG_20150204

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Must be slow day for Grace7. 4 posts in a row and one of them quoting herself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement