Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

^^^Brilliant, would've loved to be there to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Snow doesn't look likely for a while yet.
    but the weather we will get is going to be nice
    gfs-0-60.png?0?0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Spain is getting all of our snow.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31150243

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not the Merrion Gates..

lolie wrote: »
    ^^^Brilliant, would've loved to be there to see it.
    Were there trucks and cars sneaking through the crossing seconds before that train came through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Quiet tonight, It seems the great Boards Weather Forum Highbernation has begun. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Calibos wrote: »
    Quiet tonight, It seems the great Boards Weather Forum Highbernation has begun. :D

Don't worry Valentines is going to be a white out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Laying snow in southern poland since Christmas. Yes it looks nice especially on sunny days but its annoying and inconvenient most days (even though snow and low temperatures never close or shut anything, life carries on as normal). Now its getting later in the winter the sun is getting stronger and inducing spring. There is 30cms laying, today very heavy snow with drifting. The local neighbouring ski resorts are reporting 50cm+ snow.

Not sure if this video will work. This was earlier this morning. My son trying to clear wife's car. All in vain as she got less than 20meters before getting stuck.

I tried to attach video but it was to big. 43cm of snow. White out conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

it's still in a holding pattern over UK and Ireland, looking across the atlantic another frigid arctic plunge is heading for the east coast of the U.S at the end of this week, and if this gets frigid air reaches far enough into the Atlantic and interacts with the jet stream then the Atlantic will awake from it's slumber the week after next maybe even stormy weather for us with systems tracking between us and Iceland. though that's just hypothesising on my part, keep an eye on the models the next day or so for the pattern change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Got in a quick snow fix today on the way down Brandon before it is all gone.
    The lakes up the back of the valley were pretty well frozen, ice was pretty thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Calibos wrote: »

Still here :) Watching, waiting.

Tentative signs of a change toward colder weather in the medium term but not there just yet. :cool:

Still here :) Watching, waiting.

Tentative signs of a change toward colder weather in the medium term but not there just yet. :cool:

I don't see any signs of colder weather this morning, all i see is the Atlantic train ramping up. the high is never too far away so it's not going to be unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Met Eireann showing a bit of cold for the weekend

A spell of rain looks set to cross the country on Friday, perhaps turning
    wintry in places as it clears on Friday night to give some frost and icy
    patches.

At the moment Saturday looks bright and cold with some wintry
    sunshine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The Atlantic may power through after next weekend bringing us back to normal service soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    The Atlantic may power through after next weekend bringing us back to normal service soon enough.

I better get the grass cut this week so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Holy s**t how long is that train??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

may have a brief cold slot from this north westerly the weekend
    gfs-0-96.png?12
    gfs-2-90.png?12
    uppers arent good though so maybe mountains will get a dusting in the north and west.
    gfs-1-102.png?12

followed next week by a blowtorch relatively speaking for this time of year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

gilly2308 wrote: »
    Holy s**t how long is that train??

Id say at least a kilometre. By the time it finished I was on the floor laughing and clutching to my stomach, the best part was that it wasn't even funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I don't know about us, but was watching CNBC news earlier on, 3rd straight Monday in a row with winter snow,
    if only some of it was like that here,:) although some of it overshadowed with the on-leave host Brian Williams.

Is it possible some might make it's way here & the 'Pineapple Express' is certainly causing havoc too with all the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

The last of my snow disapeared today, I really want to get stuck in in the garden, please no more, Thinking in spring mode now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

The last of my snow disapeared today, I really want to get stuck in in the garden, please no more, Thinking in spring mode now.

I suppose, you can get too much of a good thing, although according to the Groundhog, 6 more weeks of winter :eek::)

Although my solar powered lights are getting brighter these days, i don't know how they lasted the winter, must be the stainless steel one's this year & not full of water :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I happened to be in Massachusetts for the last two weekends.
    I know some of you guys love it but really you get fed up with it fairly quickly. Driving is ok with a 4x4 especially when it's really cold and dry and of course they have it all cleared up here within 24 hrs anyway.
    But I can't feel the love. I'm not into skiing so there's nothing in it for me but being uncomfortably cold and sh1tty. A fraction of that and Ireland would be fecked for at least a weak. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Back to my previous post - it's a dynamic changing situation but we may well have at least a short cold snap early next week. This is likely to come from the northwest but there is a small chance of an easterly developing too so there is a lot to play for. Snow is very likely from any northwesterly incursion similar to January. More details once the models firm up on the outlook. It is impossible to commit to anything right now but it will turn colder one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Ah Not sure Kermit, the beeb called the high pressure cell being around well into next week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Really getting fed up of this cold weather with nothing to show for it but heating bills! Even this week is supposed to be 'mild', even Sky News forecasts are talking about the current 'mild' conditions. We haven't seen temps above 6C here for over a month. The past 3 days has barely got above 3C and the forecasts still say 5-8C. Today it's 1C here. Roll on Spring/Summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Gonzo wrote: »
    Really getting fed up of this cold weather with nothing to show for it but heating bills! Even this week is supposed to be 'mild', even Sky News forecasts are talking about the current 'mild' conditions. We haven't seen temps above 6C here for over a month. The past 3 days has barely got above 3C and the forecasts still say 5-8C. Today it's 1C here. Roll on Spring/Summer!

Ah now we cant complain, its good dry weather, it will probably be 12c in two weeks, pissing rain and people will be complaining then too. The Cold doesnt bother me at all, its February after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Calling quits on this winter ....

The only cold front I will be looking forward to seeing in the next few months will be this !

vN2aBfN.gif?2

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement