Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Pangea wrote: »
    Ah now we cant complain, its good dry weather, it will probably be 12c in two weeks, pissing rain and people will be complaining then too. The Cold doesnt bother me at all, its February after all.

I think its class weather. I went up Galtymore (917m) again last weekend and some of the ice formations were class. There were also still snow drifts of 2.5ft deep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Absolutely freezing here in Kilfenora, almost feels like it's going to snow :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Absolutely freezing here in Kilfenora, almost feels like it's going to snow :-)
    Nowt forecast and said same thing to lad in work that has a snowy feel to it

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

Gonzo wrote: »
    Really getting fed up of this cold weather with nothing to show for it but heating bills! Even this week is supposed to be 'mild', even Sky News forecasts are talking about the current 'mild' conditions. We haven't seen temps above 6C here for over a month. The past 3 days has barely got above 3C and the forecasts still say 5-8C. Today it's 1C here. Roll on Spring/Summer!

It's been the same here, bitterly cold. I don't know why met eireann keep giving those temperatures, surely they know what this high pressure is doing at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Cornilius wrote: »
    It's been the same here, bitterly cold. I don't know why met eireann keep giving those temperatures, surely they know what this high pressure is doing at this stage.

Out of the 22 Met Eireann stations outside Dublin that reported yesterday all but two reported a maximum between 5 and 9C.

Apart from Dublin's urban cold island (!) they were very accurate.

I say this with some trepidation as the last time I commented on a ME forecast here I was assailed from both sides :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Some nice pics on the snow covered mountains in Scotland. The last pic of the cornice is very startling

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-31292941

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well winter is almost gone at this stage with the next ten days a write off.
    It's been the worst Feb for cold fans since........last year lol

We might get a sting in the tail late in the month or early March but a proper freeze is now beyond us

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It's been the worst Feb for cold fans since........last year lol

:confused:

It's been the coldest start to February in the IMT series since 2009.

338642.PNG

Data from met.ie

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

I think by cold fans,they mean snow fans obviously
    Inversion cloudy cold must be up there with spilling foggy rain in July as the terriblist of weather

In other news,beautiful view this morning from Arklow of complete snow cover on lugnaquilla
    Last day of it as there's bound to be some heavy rain up there in the coming days

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Seeing as the real cold and snow wouldn't come to me I'm going to it, heading to Boston and North Conway in coming days, expect some photos of snow :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

In other news,beautiful view this morning from Arklow of complete snow cover on lugnaquilla
    Last day of it as there's bound to be some heavy rain up there in the coming days
    Was up Djouce this morning - a bit of snizzle on the wind, and a fresh, albeit very light, dusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Cold on Galtymore last weekend.

Galty_Feb15 007r2.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This winter has only been beaten by last winter for lack of snow and overall disappointment. Overall I would put this winter in the same category as the ones between 2002 and 2008 and 2011 to 2013. The rest of February looks like a write-off as well. Sure we've had plenty of cold since Christmas but a few flakes on the window and a one hour dusting doesnt account for much! Much better luck in select parts of the west and county Cavan/Monaghan.

This winter has only been beaten by last winter for lack of snow and overall disappointment. Overall I would put this winter in the same category as the ones between 2002 and 2008 and 2011 to 2013. The rest of February looks like a write-off as well. Sure we've had plenty of cold since Christmas but a few flakes on the window and a one hour dusting doesnt account for much! Much better luck in select parts of the west and county Cavan/Monaghan.

In Dublin at least, December and January were below the long-term average temperature and February looks very likely to also be.

That will almost certainly make it a significantly colder than average winter.

Very different from the winters of 2002 to 2008.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

In Dublin at least, December and January were below the long-term average temperature and February looks very likely to also be.

That will almost certainly make it a significantly colder than average winter.

Very different from the winters of 2002 to 2008.

I was really talking about in terms of snow, not cold. Barely any snow this year just like all those years mentioned at least for most of Dublin, Meath and Kildare.

Of course it can still snow in March but that's not really winter and snow in March is rarely ever worth talking about apart from a few exceptions.

Of course it can still snow in March but that's not really winter and snow in March is rarely ever worth talking about apart from a few exceptions.

Let's live in hope of the exceptions! And there certainly were some...1947, 1979 and much more recently...but I can't remember the year off the top of my head....circa 2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

dont know where to put this so will put it here

The closet new moon of the year on February 18 and the year’s closest full moon on September 28 will accentuate the spring tide all the more, giving rise to what’s called a perigean spring tide. If you live along an ocean coastline, watch for high tides caused by the February 18 perigean new moon and September 28 perigean full moon.

Will these high tides cause flooding? Probably not, unless a strong weather system accompanies the perigean spring tide. Still, keep an eye on the weather, because storms do have a large potential to accentuate perigean spring tides

Dont really know what the weather will bring yet but there is a high likelyhood of a breezy day so dont know if this will accentuate the situation (dont even know what the third last word means!)

My accommodation tonight :D

16329307010_d98312b7f8_o.jpgBoston Feb 2015 by WeatherSnapper, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I was in New York last week and while there was no snow, it was baltic. There was still some lying snow from the storm the previous weekend. Temps ranged from -10 to 0

I certainly got my snow fix!

I'd never seen anything like the frozen fountain in Bryant park before!

338762.jpg

338763.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

While driving in this morning I saw daffodils at the ball roundabout in Naas, bloody daffodils.
    I don't fancy our chances of anything now.

• Advertisement

much milder feeling today. Today's the first day since early January where we haven't had to blast on the heating first thing in the morning. The sun shining through the windows is warming up the whole house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

A Winter Wonderland in Lough Gur, Grange Stone Circle and New Church Grange, Co limerick

A hike up Keeper hill

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Any decent webcams to watch the current US snowstorm?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

It will be overnight when the blizzard conditions arrive. I might try and get a time lapse setup.

I'll also be posting photos to https://www.flickr.com/photos/76245283@N06/

Estimated snow totals have been downgraded for the Storm. now only expecting 6 to 10 inches now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Villain wrote: »
    Estimated snow totals have been downgraded for the Storm. now only expecting 6 to 10 inches now

That's what she said

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I think that was an excellent winter for Donegal, had a lot of snow over 3 separate weeks, had snow laying on the ground for maybe 14-16 days (140m asl) . Didn't disrupt things too bad, bad driving conditions for a few days spread out over two weeks, good few frosty mornings but would have liked a longer spell of that cold dry weather.
    All in all, probably the best winter for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I still maintain that a cold snap most likely from the northwest is pretty likely for the final third of February. Any time from the 20th is a good bet. Current indications suggest the jet stream will become that little bit more amplified and the profile will turn more favorable. And the risk of snow from any incursion at this time of year is high of course.

Not saying it will happen but I think the odds are pretty good right now subject to all the usual caveats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Thanks, but no thanks, Kermit :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement