Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snow Lovers Appreciation Society Winter 2014/15 #MOD NOTE #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭roshje

Winter:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

The snow warning on my weather station is flashing... What have I missed!?

A firmware upgrade?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this winter fell flat on its arse yet again for many of us especially in Southern half of Meath, Dublin, Kildare and much of Wicklow and Wexford. Glad to see the back of it. Were back to wishfull thinking maybe winter 2015/2016 will deliver something, by then it will be 5 year gap between the last easterly so we could almost think we are overdue the beast from the east next winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-17c in New York this morning with the Hudson frozen, then 1" to 3" of Snow expected tomorrow before turning to rain and 8c Sunday!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Respect to this thread, it started back on the 10th of August 2014, well over 6 months later and it's still going... push for an all year round snow thread! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Gonzo wrote: »
    this winter fell flat on its arse yet again for many of us especially in Southern half of Meath, Dublin, Kildare and much of Wicklow and Wexford. Glad to see the back of it. Were back to wishfull thinking maybe winter 2015/2016 will deliver something, by then it will be 5 year gap between the last easterly so we could almost think we are overdue the beast from the east next winter!
    Well a third severe U.S winter in a row (the primary driver of this winters snow killing active Atlantic) is very unlikely,so the chances of Northern blocking are probably a lot higher next winter

I do expect a cold blast for a week or two in late March or April with snow,it's becoming fairly common and is more of a nuisance than welcome at that stage so am hoping it won't happen.

See you all in November,my interest now has moved onto thunderstorms

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Well a third severe U.S winter in a row (the primary driver of this winters snow killing active Atlantic) is very unlikely,so the chances of Northern blocking are probably a lot higher next winter

Yeah - Its noticiable too how mild the winters been over the US West coast. I wonder do we correlate with this region in that regards. Looking at the Northern Hemisphere as a whole it appears the US East coast was the only area to see much cold weather. Its been a pretty mild winter elsewhere including Japan, Korea, Mongolia etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Pangea wrote: »
    Covering of snow on the hills here.
    Random question : I was just wondering, statistically what is the windiest month of the year?

Pure guess - I'd say December.

Or January!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Yeah - Its noticiable too how mild the winters been over the US West coast. I wonder do we correlate with this region in that regards. Looking at the Northern Hemisphere as a whole it appears the US East coast was the only area to see much cold weather. Its been a pretty mild winter elsewhere including Japan, Korea, Mongolia etc.

I've also commented similar in years past. Relations in Seattle posting on Facebook always seemed to post about weather that was exactly the same as here at the time. In general its damp and dull there...just like here, but the uncle would post about a once in a blue moon heatwave in Seattle just as we'd be experiencing our once in a blue moon heatwaves here. Snowless Winters there generally....except 2009 and 2010 etc etc. I even started to joke about it on Facebook that I reckoned they hadn't emigrated to Seattle at all but had secretly moved to a shack up the Wicklow Mountains such were the weather correlations.

It starts to make sense when one see's that we're both on the Western edge of a continent beside an Ocean. I even saw a Mercator Projection Map with the World Wide Jetstreams overlay and the Wave peaks and troughs of the Jetstream over there were the same as here. ie from Mid Pacific pointing straight up at Oregon/Washington States before dipping down into the heart of the continental US. ie. Carrying warm moist air and associated weather systems from Lower latitudes to Seattle in general but allowing Heatwave Highs in Summer and Northern Blocks in Winter the odd time when the Jetstream Wave would shift which happened at the same time as here which I suppose makes sense as they are on the same jetstream wave as us just on the other side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pangea wrote: »
    Random question : I was just wondering, statistically what is the windiest month of the year?

According to Met.ie, the windiest month at Malin Head is January, with a monthly mean speed of 19 knots. February is not far behind at 18.6 knots which is then followed by October's mean of 17.6 Knots.

This chart shows the average daily wind speed at Malin Hd based on the 1985 - 2014 mean provided by the newly released daily data from Met Eireann at http://www.met.ie/climate-request/

339633.PNG

From this, you can see that the windiest periods (on average) at Malin occur between January and March, and again from October following on from a slow down during the Spring & Summer period.

Some stats from the above 30 year data:

Windiest day on average at Malin Hd occurs on Feb 22
    Least windiest day on average occurs on June 24

Not to be taken literally of course as this data is just based on long-term averages but can be useful enough to maybe give a rough idea as to when the windiest/least windiest periods are likely to occur within an average year.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Calibos wrote: »
    I've also commented similar in years past. Relations in Seattle posting on Facebook always seemed to post about weather that was exactly the same as here at the time. In general its damp and dull there...just like here, but the uncle would post about a once in a blue moon heatwave in Seattle just as we'd be experiencing our once in a blue moon heatwaves here. Snowless Winters there generally....except 2009 and 2010 etc etc. I even started to joke about it on Facebook that I reckoned they hadn't emigrated to Seattle at all but had secretly moved to a shack up the Wicklow Mountains such were the weather correlations.

It starts to make sense when one see's that we're both on the Western edge of a continent beside an Ocean. I even saw a Mercator Projection Map with the World Wide Jetstreams overlay and the Wave peaks and troughs of the Jetstream over there were the same as here. ie from Mid Pacific pointing straight up at Oregon/Washington States before dipping down into the heart of the continental US. ie. Carrying warm moist air and associated weather systems from Lower latitudes to Seattle in general but allowing Heatwave Highs in Summer and Northern Blocks in Winter the odd time when the Jetstream Wave would shift which happened at the same time as here which I suppose makes sense as they are on the same jetstream wave as us just on the other side of the world.

That is a normal fact of life in meteorology. In general, troughs will normally lie along the eastern part of continents due to low geopotential of cold frigid airmasses. Conversely, thermal ridges tend to be located in the west, where the relative warmth of the marine airmasses mean greater geopotential.

The opposite is true on summer, when the heat of the continent tends to generate thermal ridges in the east, with cooler troughs in the west.

I'm talking about upper troughs and ridges here, of course. In summer there could be a heat low at the surface with a thermal ridge at upper levels.

Lugnaquilla as seen from Arklow today is plastered in snow from head to toe,looks beautiful

(Patches of the old snow had never left it either prior to the falls of the last 48hrs)

Still a strong coverage of snow on top of lug today despite yesterday's high temperatures and overnight rain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    According to Met.ie, the windiest month at Malin Head is January, with a monthly mean speed of 19 knots. February is not far behind at 18.6 knots which is then followed by October's mean of 17.6 Knots.

Thanks Oneiric, I was just wondering because there are old proverbs warning about how dangerous February can be regarding the wind, and how it can change suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hail shower turned into light snow shower, North Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Serious hail shower in west Galway. Some very dark clouds coming too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Heavy snow shower here(meath/cavan border)
    Sky turned black and it poured down and now we have a crystal clear blue sky.
    Skitzo weather :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snow showers here in Donegal, some heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Another shower on its way here. Sky has turned cobalt grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Heavy hail, sleet and some snow in the mix here in East Galway. Bitter cold wind.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Cool, cloudless and sunny here all day. Max 6.5C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Stop the press, the RTE weather showed snow showers on Monday/Tuesday.

Kermit, do we need a new thread on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Happy Last Day of Winter Boardsies .....

340392.jpg

And Greetings from Holmenkollen, Norway :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We are into the final 4 hours of winter, Unfortunately this was another forgettable winter for most of us in the east. Cavan and Monaghan received some worthwhile snow tho! Hopefully we'll all have better luck next winter! It will be 5 years since we last saw a proper snowfall around these parts so my money is on next winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Snowing heavy in Athlone .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Snowing in Dublin AP apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Am glad to report that I am back on this thread to EAT MY WORDS HAHA!!! Looking out at a beautiful blizzard in Tallaght at the mo and it's all sticking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Great to see snow in parts of the country :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    We are into the final 4 hours of winter, Unfortunately this was another forgettable winter for most of us in the east. Cavan and Monaghan received some worthwhile snow tho! Hopefully we'll all have better luck next winter! It will be 5 years since we last saw a proper snowfall around these parts so my money is on next winter!

To think what happened a few hours after you posted this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

To think what happened a few hours after you posted this :D

Well if it was a leap year he might have been ok :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement