Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrib Great southern on fire.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Should we not discount the possibility of GMIT acquiring the CGSH site, did they not want the Galwegians grounds instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

This is ablaze again this morning apparently. Several fire brigades at the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am curious as to why the Corrib Great Southern isn't on the Vacant Sites Register?

https://www.galwaycity.ie/vacant-sites-information

https://www.galwaycity.ie/uploads/downloads/publications/planning/Vacant%20site%20register%20June%202019.pdf

There are just six sites on the register.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

JoeA3 wrote: »
    This is ablaze again this morning apparently. Several fire brigades at the scene.
    It's in the news now
    Gardai treating Corrib Great Southern Hotel fire as suspicious
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/gardai-treating-corrib-great-southern-hotel-fire-as-suspicious/
    Galway politicians condemn latest blaze at Corrib Great Southern
    https://connachttribune.ie/galway-politicians-condemn-latest-blaze-at-corrib-great-southern/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Geuze wrote: »
    I am curious as to why the Corrib Great Southern isn't on the Vacant Sites Register?
    The former hotel was added to the register of derelict sites in 2015
    https://connachttribune.ie/galway-politicians-condemn-latest-blaze-at-corrib-great-southern/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Its an awful pity they didn’t leave it to burn to ashes when they had the chance.fcukin eyesore of a place.
    6 fire brigades there for half a day extinguishing that kip.its like paying a panel beater to paint a car that will be in Galway metal tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Its an awful pity they didn’t leave it to burn to ashes when they had the chance.fcukin eyesore of a place.

The harm that would be done to the environment just from the smoke would be irreversible but would be well worth it just so your eyes don’t hurt.

The harm that would be done to the environment just from the smoke would be irreversible but would be well worth it just so your eyes don’t hurt.

If you think a wee bit of smoke from a fire is bad don’t travel to India or China for your own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

kabakuyu wrote: »
    The owners have been made aware of the problem for quite some time but there still appears to be no improvements to security, would not take alot to make the place secure, at the moment its wide open,broken ground floor windows and doors have not been replaced or fixed,don't understand this:confused:it's not like the owners are broke.

It maddnes me. We've been saying it'd be great student accomodation for years before the housing crisis became apparent. They could have let all those rooms out as accomodation under a guardianship scheme like the one Camelot run. Technically folk aren't tenents but guardians so there's no issue with planning. It's a good short term solution for young single people who are still floating.

Finnegan will knock another 10 years sh1te talk out of the Corrib great southern yet.
    It should be levelled to the ground.
    That monstrosity there greeting visitors to Galway is a fcukin joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Finnegan will knock another 10 years sh1te talk out of the Corrib great southern yet.
    It should be levelled to the ground.
    That monstrosity there greeting visitors to Galway is a fcukin joke.
    Ah now, the Garda building opposite appalls the eye more

zell12 wrote: »

I agree.another fcukin monstrosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

zell12 wrote: »

It's a modern garda station and office building. Looks just fine for the purpose.

I agree.another fcukin monstrosity.

Did you put on any objections durning the planning process or public consultation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Did you put on any objections durning the planning process or public consultation?

I thought it was exempt from that stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

But even if he didnt does that mean he has no right to be part of a discussion on a discussion board?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

biko wrote: »

Gardai treating it as “suspicious”. Are they for real? This is like a Waterford Whispers News headline ffs.

Incredible that this is tolerated and barely gets a mention in the media beyond this ludicrous headline from our keystone cops. The entrance to the city is blighted by this ugly monstrosity.

Gardai treating it as “suspicious”. Are they for real? This is like a Waterford Whispers News headline ffs.

Incredible that this is tolerated and barely gets a mention in the media beyond this ludicrous headline from our keystone cops. The entrance to the city is blighted by this ugly monstrosity.

the city can use its free flowing traffic & the 2020 city of culture to offset this blight, oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

the city can use its free flowing traffic & the 2020 city of culture to offset this blight, oh wait

I can't understand how 2020 is to blame for this!!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

It's a modern garda station and office building. Looks just fine for the purpose.

its a fine building alright, but it's built right up on top of a main road into the city, meaning that road or even the footpath can never be widened from now on

• Advertisement

pure.conya wrote: »
    its a fine building alright, but it's built right up on top of a main road into the city, meaning that road or even the footpath can never be widened from now on

Theres pllenty of space to widen it on the other side.

Through GMIT?

biko wrote: »

So there's a register of dereliction, as well as a Vacant Sites register?

Yes.

Somebody said to me that the design of the Garda building means the roadway can't be widened.

So I checked.

Plenty of space on the GMIT side for a bus lane or cycle lanes.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Through GMIT?

There's plenty of room. The roundabout itself is also a great big waste of space.

They could and should put a covered bus interchange there, not just bus-lanes.

504173.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Considering it's probably the busiest bus stop outside Eyre Square, it's a ridiculous set up.

The metal railing serves no purpose but to be awkward, once you've more than one bus at the stop you end up having to walk around the railing, which I can't imagine is much fun for those who aren't fully able-bodied.

Perhaps the council should be proactive here, and purchase some of the southern carpark of the hotel for future building of a bus lane, before it's built on.

However, considering the history of proactivity within the city council, there's a fat chance of that happening.

Another fire or two is what the place needs, maybe then something will be done.

There's plenty of room. The roundabout itself is also a great big waste of space.

They could and should put a covered bus interchange there, not just bus-lanes.

504173.PNG
    The new extension on gmit will be close enough to the road but that is further down a bit. With a bit enough reworking (which removing the roundabout would no doubt necessitate) there's probably enough space alright. And probably better to be shaving it off the gmit /great southern side than the side with housing.
    Totally agree on the bus stuff too. The current setup is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I was surprised they let the new Garda station be built without doing anything else about the junction there. It doesn't even have crossing light sor anythig and is one of the busier places in town since everything leaving town in that direction goes by it, at least that coming from the start of teh Dublin road.
    I'd certainly use the Corrib Great Southern area as a bus station. BUt I'm not having to think about what millions I could reap from real estate deals.Either taht or use the front section as that and the rear section for student accomodation.BUt that would rely on having the ability to split things up altruistically.
    The way that the Garda station has been built with teh big plinth saying Garda in front of it means its going to be difficult to widen the road there. I think there's a cornerof the building that would also make taht really difficult. Could have done with tah being built 5 or 10 feet back. Not 100% sure what's on the far side of the building there though.

Just does seem that things would have been a lot better if somebody had sat down before the garda station became a fixture and looked at all of that area holistically.. In terms of vehicle and pedestrian traffic flow and what was needed by community and institutional needs in the area. BUt assume that that wasn't really a viable thing if different spaces within the area are owned by different factions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It does have a crossing light. Down by Dawn Daries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Not at the main point where most junctions would have one down near the actual estate or exit from the University.
    & poeoplearle likely to be heading in that direction either from bus or University and not want to head all teh way back down to near Dawn Dairies which is quite a long way in the other direction.
    JUst would think that was a constantly busy junction and would have some form of crossing prioritised. People come off buses from the Doughiska direction with luggage for getting in cross country buses and then have to get through traffic.
    Current weather or slightly less negative variations thereon leaves people with very little cover. & when they can get under cover it blocks people from being able to move down the pavement.

I was standing there a couple of weeks ago waiting for a bus to Doughiska when people were waiting for cross country buses . I don't think people standing at one end of that shelter or beyond can necessarily see what has come into the layby at the far end of the shelter. Too many people under the shelter to see beyond a bus pulled in close to the shelter to see a 3rd or 4th bus further down.
    Really not the best situation if you're waiting for a coach.
    Not sure if other towns have anything comparing as negatively for one of its main exit points so a terminus/waiting area somewhere down near the Corrib Great Southern would be really useful.

Advertisement