Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrib Great southern on fire.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

flazio wrote: »
    It does have a crossing light. Down by Dawn Daries.

You mean the one at the junction for the ballyloughane road?

By your logic, do the pedestrian lights at the Bodkin junction serve the Joyce roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm not saying it's in the correct place, I'm just stating it's there. If they do ever put one closer to the roundabout (which would be a bad move IMO) How many sets of lights would that make from Galway clinic to the eye cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

flazio wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's in the correct place, I'm just stating it's there. If they do ever put one closer to the roundabout (which would be a bad move IMO) How many sets of lights would that make from Galway clinic to the eye cinema.

That roundabout is long since overdue to be gone.

I'm not sure what the holdup is. But it will be replaced by lights sooner or later, and those lights will have a pedestrian phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Long since due, would think that a recognised residential space and a significant institution like a University would have had something like that years ago.
    Especially if it is one of the main pick up points for a town in terms of coach access. Would think most towns would have an easier stopping point and a good place for people to be dropped off near it.
    So like 2 or 3 main reasons that there should be some better marked way for people to control traffic around them to function properly or alternatively have a way of not directly having to deal with other traffic.
    I'm trying to think what other non-central bus terminus points are like in other towns. This just seems to have never been fit for purpose and would seem to have needed something done about it years since.

Also trying to think how long that has been the main pick up point for buses on that side of town. Would've thought decades but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

An announcement is going to be made about the hotel in the morning. Looks like something is finally happening.

• Advertisement

An announcement is going to be made about the hotel in the morning. Looks like something is finally happening.

About feckin time. Hopefully it involves some bulldozers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

And people wonder why their insurance is so high. Great little country, wha'?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

This has all been about rezoning the land. currently it's zoned as (Enterprise, Light industry & Commercial). The lads want it now to be zoned as residential which will massively increase the land value.

These lads ain't got the money they have for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes.

Somebody said to me that the design of the Garda building means the roadway can't be widened.

So I checked.

Plenty of space on the GMIT side for a bus lane or cycle lanes.

did you take into consideration the extension going onto the tech hub of gmit? it's pushed the college even closer to the road afaik, will check for sure today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

topcat77 wrote: »
    This has all been about rezoning the land. currently it's zoned as (Enterprise, Light industry & Commercial). The lads want it now to be zoned as residential which will massively increase the land value.

These lads ain't got the money they have for nothing.

they have politicians on speed dial and we barely get off our holes to vote every 4 or 5 years, guess who our politicians actually work for

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It should be noted that having the appropriate zoning and planning hasn't stopped the Comers from doing exactly nothing for 3-4 years on one of their property plays in Sandyford. Ditto Portumna.

If I was a betting man, I'd say that if the Council bent to the will of the Comers and rezoned the place, the site would be for sale in the next day for someone else to build out...for reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It amazes me that a relatively small number of people and vested interests can make Irish towns and cities look like absolute dumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Buy a load of property let it go derelict and have a knock on effect of the local property values depreciation at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

There is no reason why they cannot get skips in there to clean it out and board up the windows it's a disgrace as it's the first thing you see when you arrive in Galway. Great thing to see during our term of City of Culture

Storm 10 wrote: »
    There is no reason why they cannot get skips in there to clean it out and board up the windows it's a disgrace as it's the first thing you see when you arrive in Galway. Great thing to see during our term of City of Culture

Reason. Because it would cost them money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Storm 10 wrote: »

I’d imagine most tourist traffic turns right when the motorway finishes and the first thing they’d see is KFC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I’d imagine most tourist traffic turns right when the motorway finishes and the first thing they’d see is KFC

Regardless, the CGS is on a major thoroughfare into the city on a commanding site. It's seen by thousands of people everyday and a lot of them will be visitors. Just think of how many buses enter the city on that route every single day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Will somebody please think of the poor tourists and there tourist eyes. :rolleyes: Renmore, Ballybane, Mervue residents on the other hand......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Will somebody please think of the poor tourists and there tourist eyes. :rolleyes: Renmore, Ballybane, Mervue residents on the other hand......

I think we're that used to it, we'll nearly miss the wreck when it's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Storm 10 wrote:

Exactly. And I did. Years ago when I first arrived to Galway. I'm still shocked by the first sight of it entering Galway in the couch... That shock won't go away. If I was local I'd be highly embarrassed by this.

Before the homeless, it was those poor unfortunate tourists that got our sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The vandals have been found:

Advertisement