Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin Edge 800 / 810

• 11-08-2014 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Anybody using a Garmin Edge 800 / 810 ? , any good? are there any bugs in the firmware or have these been fixed ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

I moved from 500 to 800 last year and although I've only cycled about 10-15 times since then I haven't had any issues at all with it. The only thing I'd guess is that maybe the battery might not last quite as long as it did on the 500, so maybe if I was capable of a 200+km cycle right now I'd wonder how it would hold up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Ive the 810 and its fine...battery lasted over 10 hours on the Marmotte last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

On an alternative I have a bryton rider 50 cost €160, I was going to buy the 800 but couldn't spend that much on a computer.

The bryton is working out great

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Currently im using the fairly basic Edge 200 which ive been very happy with and is a great little unit, i just want a little more features than what it can give me and looking at the lower prices of the edge 800 units got me thinking of an upgrade. the 810 looks a bit buggy when you read some of the reviews but it's hard to tell if the latest firmware was used ( if it was stable i might consider it but it's a little outside my price range....might have to put a 'sponsored by Visa' sticker on it ! ;)
    ( 07lapierre any issues with connectivity to your phone? )

Moreilly wrote: »
    Currently im using the fairly basic Edge 200 which ive been very happy with and is a great little unit, i just want a little more features than what it can give me and looking at the lower prices of the edge 800 units got me thinking of an upgrade. the 810 looks a bit buggy when you read some of the reviews but it's hard to tell if the latest firmware was used ( if it was stable i might consider it but it's a little outside my price range....might have to put a 'sponsored by Visa' sticker on it ! ;)
    ( 07lapierre any issues with connectivity to your phone? )

Sometimes...9 out of 10 times it works. Not sure if the issue is the 810 or my phone though. (I've the latest firmware installed)

If the bluetooth feature is your main reason for considering the 810, i'd get the 800, as the bluetooth feature is nice but not worth the extra cost. The main advantage of the 800/810 is the Maps/navigation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I've had an 800 for a couple of years - no issues at all.
    The longest the battery has lasted me was just under 8 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

I have been using an 810 for about 6 months and the connectivity to my iphone is very poor. I'm not sure if that's a fault with the garmin or my phone, but the LiveTrack feature barely ever seems to work.
    If I had to do it again I would probably go for the 800 and save myself quite a few bucks.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Borderfox wrote: »
    On an alternative I have a bryton rider 50 cost €160, I was going to buy the 800 but couldn't spend that much on a computer.

The bryton is working out great

I went to order that the other week and they were gone/ have a 20 now, so will get along with that for a while

Looking at countless reviews and the comment's above made me go for the Edge 800, felt the 810 was not worth the extra cash.Got it for £199. Going to flog off my edge 200 for 75 euro to go towards it !!! now just to wait for delivery............. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Sorry for the hijack...

Wasn't one of the main benefits of the "10" series, that you could hook up an exterior power source and they don't reset/close off a ride?

Did I read that here, somewhere?

• Advertisement

Sorry for the hijack...

Wasn't one of the main benefits of the "10" series, that you could hook up an exterior power source and they don't reset/close off a ride?

Did I read that here, somewhere?
    there is one from Garmin im sure there are third party ones as well which might be a bit cheaper

https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/shop-by-accesories/batteries/external-power-pack/prod86599.html

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Was looking at the garmins and saw Edge 810 on amazon for £226 STG.
    Its only £7 more than the 510.
    Looking like excellent value.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Edge-Touchscreen-Bike-Computer/dp/B00B06J194/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I do see mixed views on the 810 and wonder if its worth the punt or why is it so cheap...
    Was looking at putting the OpenStreetMap on it and wonder what people think of that software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I read a lot of reviews on the 810 and decided to go for an 800 instead. Had it a month or so now and it's great so far. Not done much more than commute so far, but it finds satellites much quicker than my 500 did. I have free maps on mine but haven't used it in anger yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 adricky

I got the 810 last June and I think its great. I put OpenStreet maps on it and they work perfect but haven't used Garmin maps so can't compare.
    The auto sync with smartphone is great, it auto uploads rides to garmin connect which is synced to Strava. Also if I create a route on my laptop, I can send it to my 810 from my phone. I only take the 810 off my bike to charge it every 2/3 rides and the only issue I've had is once it did not auto upload a ride but I just turned it off/on and it reconnected to my phone and auto uploaded the ride.

Got my 810 bundle from Bike-Discount for €340 plus €8 delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

Mine have been, on and off a disaster waiting to happen.
    I got the replacement for my 800 on Thursday week and used it on the Friday. It rained a bit, Garmin got wet and after one day was on the way back to Garmin. I am expecting they will replace it. Not acceptable though; in 1975 I bought a watch which was waterproof.

Service from Garmin takes a minimum of 6 weeks and sometimes 12 or 16.

I also have an 810. I need two because they keep breaking on long rides; can't process much over 300 km in one go. And the battery life is miserable. Fine for going down the shops but not for a day out. My 800 followed the route for 5 hours but the 810 would for 12 or 14 but you are not supposed to charge it on the move. So really, you would need two Garmins for a day out.

Some of readings are incredible where it says you have traveled thousands of Km or climbed thousands of metres.

I had the 7 series as well and when it gave trouble I 'upgraded' to the 800. Thats been replaced already a couple of times.

Lots of other stuff too. Keeps turning itself off. Totally over priced.

The GPS stands for Goddamn Piece of Sh1t. But I don't think there's anything better available yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭mp2012

RV did you go through the Garmin website or phone them to arrange repair / return. I have issues with my 800 unit, can't transfer via cable, unit turns off to info screen, not working with cadence / heart rate etc. I tried the website but received no response and the few times I have called the wait times have been ridiculous, just curious ho wyou faired.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

I tolerated the issues for a while and tried to work around them. I spoke to people who would usually be able to help and I read user forums. But eventually I would reach a point where I returned through the LBS. But I didn't try to dry out the unit that got wet; just sent it back straight away. I wouldn't have thought making them shower proof was beyond the wit of man. <disgusted>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

RV wrote: »
    I got the replacement for my 800 on Thursday week and used it on the Friday. It rained a bit, Garmin got wet and after one day was on the way back to Garmin. I am expecting they will replace it. Not acceptable though; in 1975 I bought a watch which was waterproof.

I also have an 810. I need two because they keep breaking on long rides; can't process much over 300 km in one go. And the battery life is miserable. Fine for going down the shops but not for a day out. My 800 followed the route for 5 hours but the 810 would for 12 or 14 but you are not supposed to charge it on the move. So really, you would need two Garmins for a day out.

Some of readings are incredible where it says you have traveled thousands of Km or climbed thousands of metres.

I had the 7 series as well and when it gave trouble I 'upgraded' to the 800. Thats been replaced already a couple of times.

The GPS stands for Goddamn Piece of Sh1t. But I don't think there's anything better available yet.

Was thinking bout ordering an 810 this week but thats making me think twice. I have a garmin that i use for sailing and has a habit of turning itself off aswell. 2 self turning off gps aint what i need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Has anybody tried out the Blaupunkt BikePilot or the Teasi One (€159) or Teasi Pro (HR/Cadence bundle €249)?

They appear to use OpenStreetMap/OpenCycleMap and be updateable though the Teasi runs on MS wince (which is a bit of a drawback for me).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭devonp

hi
    thinking of getting the 810...
    do you need connectivity to a smartfone when on ur spin or can the spin be recorded etc and then uploaded to Garmin or strava w/o connection to smartfone during the spin?
    any other advice much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

devonp wrote: »
    hi
    do you need connectivity to a smartfone when on ur spin or can the spin be recorded etc and then uploaded to Garmin or strava w/o connection to smartfone during the spin?

I have the 510 not the 810, but no connectivity for upload required during the spin. I save the ride at the end of the spin and then allow my phone and the Garmin to connect in order to upload to to Garmin Connect/Strava. Upload does not have to be done immediately, can turn off the Garmin after the spin and load it later (can load multiple spins at one time too).

hi

No but you do need a smartphone if you intend using the "Live tracking" feature.

when you press the Stop button, if your phone is connected via Bluetooth to your phone, then your recorded data will upload to Garmin Connect automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I got the 810 at Xmas but only got to take it out a couple of times as my bike needed repair. I have yet to test it on long cycles and the navigation functions, but so far so good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

hi

The 810 works off GPS, so you don't need your phone. I think you can connect your phone for weather updates and what not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Handtec have a better price than amazon usually for the 810. Although the prices of both have been varying a lot lately.

It was £220 on amazon before christmas.

335912.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

RV wrote: »

That is some bad luck. I have an Edge 800 since 3 years ago, and it gives no trouble like this, and I also charge it on the go when touring longish distances over the day (SON Edelux and The Plug).

Advertisement