Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study tips for leaving cert?

• 11-08-2014 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I'm going into 5th year after doing Ty, I had begun doing 5th year I was going all wrong about it and I basically crashed.. that and I was kind of undecided on if I should do Ty..
    Regardless I'm going into 5th year soon and I don't want to do what I did last time (writing out the whole textbook!)
    I plan on doing medicine so a decent study play is without a doubt the most important thing for me.. (besides the basic of going to class and paying attention)

I'm doing English, Irish, French, Biology, geography, business at higher level and I am doing maths at OL.
    My plan of action is pass maths and focus on my other subjects for the points because I could put hours into HL maths to just scrape by when I could put that time into getting the points necessary.

So.... any study tips? or links to threads/webposts/videos/anything else I'm nothing thinking of that could be of some use?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pdog2468

For English make sure u know quotes and that u really understand your texts especially the comparative.. Business summarise everything into points I found flash cards useful. Geography I had a really amazing teacher who threw sample answers at us and I baisiclly learned them I got an A2 or A1 in most tests.. Biology I found quite tough I just kept doing the exam papers. French is all about vocab and grammar and it will eventually all come together.. Irish just know your pros but the real marks are in the oral so LEARN THE SRAITH PICTURES.... and as for maths just struggle on...

I am getting my results in 2 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 airbuspilot

Seanf999 wrote: »
    I'm going into 5th year after doing Ty, I had begun doing 5th year I was going all wrong about it and I basically crashed.. that and I was kind of undecided on if I should do Ty..
    Regardless I'm going into 5th year soon and I don't want to do what I did last time (writing out the whole textbook!)
    I plan on doing medicine so a decent study play is without a doubt the most important thing for me.. (besides the basic of going to class and paying attention)

I'm doing English, Irish, French, Biology, geography, business at higher level and I am doing maths at OL.
    My plan of action is pass maths and focus on my other subjects for the points because I could put hours into HL maths to just scrape by when I could put that time into getting the points necessary.

So.... any study tips? or links to threads/webposts/videos/anything else I'm nothing thinking of that could be of some use?

Thanks!

You need to have chemistry with either physics or biology to do medicine I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

You need to have chemistry with either physics or biology to do medicine I think.

You do for a one course but there is a a year longer course without chemistry , which I plan on doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Find out how you best study. Be it writing it out, typing it, saying it, staring at it and trying to memorise it, etc. I found the last 2 worked best for me. They also happen to be the two that make you look the most insane while studying. I'll let you know Wednesday how well they worked.

Aspiring wrote: »
    Find out how you best study. Be it writing it out, typing it, saying it, staring at it and trying to memorise it, etc. I found the last 2 worked best for me. They also happen to be the two that make you look the most insane while studying. I'll let you know Wednesday how well they worked.

Cheers, and best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭LauraaWhelann

Just got 595 :D my advice is just to study study! Use your time in fifth year because that really pays off :) private message me if you need specific help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Cheers, and best of luck!

I ended up getting 540 by the way, which I am extremely happy with :)

I've already posted my tips here but all I'll say is it's never too late to start working on a subject. I only really started working this year. I failed several of my summer/christmas tests in 5th year. The key really is to do any homework you're given and trying to do your best in any subject test you're given. Also focus moreso on your weak points than your strengths. To give you some perspective on what I mean by "it's never too late to start working on a subject", I had never passed an applied maths exam in my life up until the leaving cert. I started working on it the day after Physics (Tuesday), and did the exam Friday. I ended up getting a B3. Positivity is the key to the leaving cert :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Thanks!
    HC3 in Chemistry and either Physics or Biology and passes at H or O level from Irish, English, another language and Mathematics. Students are required to achieve a minimum of 480 Leaving Certificate points and meet the subject requirements for matriculation in the same sitting of the Leaving Certificate or equivalent.

Not eligible without chemistry .

I never heard of this extra year thing either . Any chance of a link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    HC3 in Chemistry and either Physics or Biology and passes at H or O level from Irish, English, another language and Mathematics. Students are required to achieve a minimum of 480 Leaving Certificate points and meet the subject requirements for matriculation in the same sitting of the Leaving Certificate or equivalent.

Not eligible without chemistry .

I never heard of this extra year thing either . Any chance of a link ?

UCD, RCSI and NUIG all have 6 year courses where you only need 1 science subject

http://www.nuigalway.ie/medicine/Undergraduate/Undergrad/undergrad.html its there near the top of that page, its a year longer because they basically teach you what you need to know in chemistry for medicine rather then learning everything in secondary school, the extra year is no problem for me, I do enjoy chemistry but getting an A in it is unlikely for me.
    Also 480 is put down as minimum entry but thats only with a perfect HPAT and from what I've been told 550 seems to be 'the actual minimum entry without a perfect HPAT'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 josephine expi

The Geography exam is all about timing!! I only really started working on geography after the mocks( although I got a B1 in the mocks, I knew that it had been marked easy so if I wanted to maintain that grade or go up, I had too work). I put my sweat and blood into geography and it paid of cos I got an A2, something I didn't expect. Although you have to know your material, I'll stress the importance of timing cos you're given only about 12 mins to do a 30 mrk essay. Keep practising and answering all your exam question :)

Biology was my strongest subject so I didn't focus much on it because I was determined to work on my weak points. But I did at least I exam question every day. Get to know the type of questions they ask an exactly what they expect for an answer(this tip was extremely helpful to me cos this year the wording was quite different but I knew what they wanted in my answers cos I knew the marking scheme inside out) again it paid off and I got an A1 :)

I HATED English!!! It's not my first language so I always struggled with it but I was determined to get my points I needed so I knew I had to get a certain grade in English to get my points. I focused mainly on Paper 2. Poetry/Shakespeare and Comparatives should be your bff's. Know your quotes inside out!! If you're good at the essay in Paper 1, practice! practice! I didn't do much for paper 1 and I ended up with a B3 which could have been a B2.

Advertisement