Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment drive for Irish nurses in Western Australia.

Options
  • 11-08-2014 5:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

St John of God Healthcare is on a mass recruitment drive for 150 Irish nurses to fill a predicted shortage of nurses in WA within 18 months.

Group chief executive Michael Stanford said it would be a struggle to find nurses when new medical facilities, such as the children's hospital and Fiona Stanley, opened.

A fifth of its proposed Irish workforce has arrived to work at St John's Murdoch and Subiaco. The rest are due before it opens its Midland hospital in 18 months.

However there is resistance to the poor Irish......
    "I object to overseas nurses being seen as a first resort, rather than a last resort," he said. "It's short-sighted if employers are constantly looking to poor economies when they can pick up graduates in Australia."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Health related Jobs are very scarce on the ground at the moment. My missus is a nurse and her hours have been cut recently due to her managers been forced to cut costs. So I can see why this will annoy some.

"Poor economies" is a very bad choice of words. We all know what he was trying to say... but still! The article also neglected to mention that Irish nurses are held in the highest regard all over the world. If they have advertised for nurses here in Perth and they cannot hire any due to either lack of qualified nurses I cant see the issue. Gina Rinehart uses "foreign workers" for Roy Hill because they demand less and do more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I agree, poor choice of words.

No surprise on the cutbacks and I can see why they'll want experienced Irish staff over inexperienced local graduates to help reduce costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

The funniest thing about this is the uproar its causing on Facebook

Advertisement