If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion for new TV

Options
  • 11-08-2014 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I'm looking to get a new TV and have a budget of around €600 - €650.

I'm looking for a smart TV with built in Wifi and as I watch a lot of football I'm looking for as high a refresh rate as possible.  I was originally looking in a local bricks and mortars stores at the Sony Bravia  KDL42W706BSU and like that model due to it's 200hz refresh rate. But you're 5 year guarantee could be the swaying factor.

I am looking for a 40 - 43" model and it must be able to use Netflix (preferably set to US) BBC iPlayer etc

I also like the SAMSUNG UE40F6320 but is the dual core processor a downside ?

I also need a tilt and swivel wall mount and a decent 2 metre HDMI cable within this budget

I don't have a requirement for 3D at the moment but don't mind having it for the future if the primary requirement of good performance for sport and smart TV apps are met first.

I don't have an external audio amp or soundbar so would need to have good built-in speakers.

Can you make any suggestions on models ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

V1llianous wrote: »
    Guys,

I'm looking to get a new TV and have a budget of around €600 - €650.

I'm looking for a smart TV with built in Wifi and as I watch a lot of football I'm looking for as high a refresh rate as possible.  I was originally looking in a local bricks and mortars stores at the Sony Bravia  KDL42W706BSU and like that model due to it's 200hz refresh rate. But you're 5 year guarantee could be the swaying factor.

I am looking for a 40 - 43" model and it must be able to use Netflix (preferably set to US)  BBC iPlayer etc

I also like the SAMSUNG UE40F6320 but is the dual core processor a downside ?

I also need a tilt and swivel wall mount and a decent 2 metre HDMI cable within this budget

I don't have a requirement for 3D at the moment but don't mind having it for the future if the primary requirement of good performance for sport and smart TV apps are met first.

I don't have an external audio amp or soundbar so would need to have good built-in speakers.

Can you make any suggestions on models ?

Thanks.
    Bill thanks for the post and apologies for the late response..

The 42W706 ( or 705) is an excellent model - the 705 is more popular as its black ( and I think looks slicker)

First off I see you are Dublin based - so unless you are very clever and happy to be a little 'creative' about your location and use a proxy IP you wont be able to use either iPlayer or US Netflix  - we cant advise you on how to do this as its probably not quite legit!

The 40F6320 is now a finished line - we do have one demo unit left that we would clear at £439.95 but then they are finite unfortunately - again I think that the Sony 42W7XX is a better unit anyway!

The best price we can do on the 42W706 is £519.95 / €659.99, and this would include our 5 year warranty.

If you wanted to add an artic bracket - you will also need a Vesa adaptor as the sony has a built in pedestal / bracket that isn't VESA standard - this complicates life a little as the official adaptor bracket is £29.95 and a decent artic bracket would add approx. £98.

On the audio side the W706 is actually not bad, far better than most of its Korean counterparts so I wouldn't worry about it on that count..

The bad news is that in total including a decent superslim HDMI your total will come to approx. £640 /€819 - is this too much or would you like us to sharpen our pencils and suggest a few alternatives?

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Thanks for the reply.

Can you give me a price for a 40" version of the sony if applicable as that may help the budget.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you give me a price for a 40" version of the sony if applicable as that may help the budget.
    V1llianous,

unfortunately the W706 only comes in 32 / 42 / 46 /50" variants and there isn't a 40" model available to us at the moment.

I note you say 3D isn't vital ( and I agree with you on this as it really is starting to fade out a bit as a requirement for most people!) and you wanted a TV with great picture and saving a little then I'd look at the really outstanding Panasonics 42AS600 / 42AS650 - these really are exceptional.

The 42AS600 is a superb TV with 100Hz processing, of course it's smart - but the picture quality is outstanding and its now at a great price - it retails at £499.95 / €639.99 including the 5 year warranty - including a really good quality Alphason artic bracket we can do it at just £519.95 / €649.99 - snuggling just inside your budget and it is a real option to the Sony if you can forgo the 3D.

If you could stretch the budget then the 42as650 is a stunner - it adds 1200Hz Panasonic motion processing, as well as super fast processing this adds 3D back again and really excellent sound quality with a proper 20 watt amp built in and decent speakers - it also has a huge stock of smart features and some unique to Panasonic that really are quite clever - have a look here ( again some apps may be restricted due to location) http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-tx42as650b/pana-tx42as650b - if you went for the 650 we could do it at just £669.95.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks for that John -

I saw the Panasonic in a shop earlier and it looks great. Just a small bit of clarification : you said you could do it at just £669.95 if I stretched my budget did you mean €669.95 ?

Just read a review and they stayed there is a 50hz judder issue on this TV (http://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-as640-tx-48-40-55-as640b-LED-TV-review.10436) - have you any opinion on this ?

How much extra would it be including the bracket, cable and delivery ?

Have you a link for the bracket ?

Have my birthday this week so hopefully I can get my funds together in the next few weeks.

Thanks for that John -

I saw the Panasonic in a shop earlier and it looks great.  Just a small bit of clarification : you said you could do it at just £669.95 if I stretched my budget did you mean €669.95 ?

Just read a review and they stayed there is a 50hz judder issue on this TV (http://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-as640-tx-48-40-55-as640b-LED-TV-review.10436) - have you any opinion on this ?

How much extra would it be including the bracket, cable and delivery ?

Have you a link for the bracket ?

Have my birthday this week so hopefully I can get my funds together in the next few weeks.
    unfortunately not :o, the 42AS650 on its own is £599.95 and when you add a decent bracket and delivery it would be approx. £669 / €849 - this is still way cheaper than I can see it on sale anywhere in the ROI.

This is the link for the Alphason bracket http://www.alphasondesigns.com/alphason-tv-brackets-collection/ab-lu453ma-multi-action-slim-line-flat-screen-television-bracket-and-supports.htm its a super slim fully artic bracket and it retails at £90 / €110 on its own - it really is a great branded bracket..

On the 50Hz judder - that's the 1st I've heard of it and I have seen the TV extensively as like yourself I think it looks amazing and I've see it with multiple content and never noticed any issues - I think its a stunner!

Thanks againa nd keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

unfortunately not :o, the 42AS650 on its own is £599.95 and when you add a decent bracket and delivery it would be approx. £669 / €849 - this is still way cheaper than I can see it on sale anywhere in the ROI.

This is the link for the Alphason bracket http://www.alphasondesigns.com/alphason-tv-brackets-collection/ab-lu453ma-multi-action-slim-line-flat-screen-television-bracket-and-supports.htm its a super slim fully artic bracket and it retails at £90 / €110 on its own - it really is a great branded bracket..

On the 50Hz judder - that's the 1st I've heard of it and I have seen the TV extensively as like yourself I think it looks amazing and I've see it with multiple content and never noticed any issues - I think its a stunner!

Thanks againa nd keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Do you do the panasonic as640 in the 40" model and if so how much is it ?

the 40" as640 doesn't appear to be a model that Panasonic bring into the UK or Ireland except as an exclusive for DSG retail and its not available to us at the moment.

Sorry about that and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

I'm very interested but have to work the finances - and discuss with the Financial Controller :D 

I'll be in touch.

Can you give me just the price of the TV without the bracket and also let me know how much delivery is (I'm a VIP member and receive the weekly emails - does that give me free delivery ?)

Thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Can you give me just the price of the TV without the bracket and also let me know how much delivery is (I'm a VIP member and receive the weekly emails - does that give me free delivery ?)

Thanks.
    Hi V1llianous.

The price of the 42AS650 by itself would be £599.95. Delivery would come in at £30.

Being a VIP member gets you the free 5 year warranty and not free shipping unfortunately.

Let me know what you think. Any questions give me a shout.

• Advertisement

Guys,

I really hope to be able to order this in a fortnight.

How frequently do you deliver to Dublin and can you advise that if I need to order a week in advance etc to guarantee a delivery date.  I have a child with special needs and for safety's sake I want to receive and mount it when he isn't around.

Thanks.

Guys,

How frequently do you deliver to Dublin and can you advise that if I need to order a week in advance etc to guarantee a delivery date.  I have a child with special needs and for safety's sake I want to receive and mount it when he isn't around.

Thanks.
    V1ll,

no problem - this is a fast moving line so give us a shout prior to order so we can give you a delivery date - there is no problem giving you an exact day and we can give an approx. time-slot as well but unfortunately we cannot guarantee an exact time - unless you pay an additional £40 towards the courier then we can offer you a 15 minute time slot on your appointed weekday delivery - generally however the guide-time is accurate to within 2 hours.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Guys,

Thanks.
    V1ll,

no problem - this is a fast moving line so give us a shout prior to order so we can give you a delivery date - there is no problem giving you an exact day and we can give an approx. time-slot as well but unfortunately we cannot guarantee an exact time - unless you pay an additional £40 towards the courier then we can offer you a 15 minute time slot on your appointed weekday delivery - generally however the guide-time is accurate to within 2 hours.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks Guys, it's not worth the extra £40 but once I know the day and approx time slot I can arrange the time off.

Guys,

I've done some measuring for the TV and it's location and in order to provide the best viewing angle and not be obscured by the edge of the fireplace I need the following:

1) Go as close to the wall (flat) as possible when not in use i.e. not a fixed bracket

2) and also extend out so the right side is 150mm from the wall and the left side is 900 mm from the wall.

I've attached a diagram for assistance.

Can you confirm if the bracket you've recommended will achieve this or do I need another type ?

Thanks.

Guys,

I've done some measuring for the TV and it's location and in order to provide the best viewing angle and not be obscured by the edge of the fireplace I need the following:

1) Go as close to the wall (flat) as possible when not in use i.e. not a fixed bracket

2) and also extend out so the right side is 150mm from the wall and the left side is 900 mm from the wall.

I've attached a diagram for assistance.

Can you confirm if the bracket you've recommended will achieve this or do I need another type ?

Thanks.
    Hi V1llianous.

The Alphason bracket will hold it as close to the wall as a non fixed bracket can.
    Here are the specs of the bracket:
    Features:
    • Fits 26” to 42” TVs
    • Universal up to 400 x 400
    • Max. TV weight 25kg
    • 534mm pull out and - 15° tilt motion
    • Spirit level
    • Cable management
    • Dimensions: (mm) (h) 425 x (w) 645 x (d) 38
    • Closest distance to wall: 38mm.
    [*]

[font=Open Sans, sans-serif]If not sure if it will extend up to 900mm from the wall at one side.[/font]

[font=Open Sans, sans-serif]You could also look at the Sanus VLF311 which is priced at £149.95[/font]
    [font=Open Sans, sans-serif]http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv-brackets/sanus/vlf311-b2/sanu-vlf-311b2
    [/font]

[font=Open Sans, sans-serif]http://www.sanus.com/en_GB/products/mounts/vlf311/
    [/font]

[font=Open Sans, sans-serif]But again its the 900mm at one end I'm not 100% about, I'll try and find this out for you and revert back.[/font]

Thanks Kenny.

I'll wait for your response about the bracket before I order.

Another quick query - does the tv come an optical cable and if so can I plug the optical from a sky hd box in to tv or would it only be tv or sky to a sound bar.

If I go for a sound bar later is there a way of daisy chaining so sky optical and tv optical can go to the sound bar as otherwise would have to choose sky or smart tv content only to the sound bar .

Thanks Kenny.

I'll wait for your response about the bracket before I order.

Another quick query - does the tv come an optical cable and if so can I plug the optical from a sky hd box in to tv or would it only be tv or sky to a sound bar.

If I go for a sound bar later is there a way of daisy chaining so sky optical and tv optical can go to the sound bar as otherwise would have to choose sky or smart tv content only to the sound bar .
    Hi V1llianous.

I've checked on the Sanus bracket and with a 55" screen on it it only comes to 530cm and 0cm at the other end. With a 42" it would be around 700cm I think.

The Alphason bracket mentioned above should extend further as the reach on it is much longer and I would say it would be very close to 900cm.

The optical connection on the 42" Panasonic is an out and not an in so you could not connect the sky box to the via optical. You would use HDMI for connecting to the TV.

If you purchased a soundbar, some of them have more than one optical connection so you could connect both sky and TV without having to switch cables.

I hope this is of help. Let me know what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Just to chime in here,I got the 42As650 from Richer and it is hands down the best tv I've had to date.
    Watched some 3D hd documentaries on U.S netflix with it last night and the 3D with the provided glasses was excellent! Birds and planes flying round the room.
    Highly recommend that panny!
    (There's no 3D section on the Irish/UK netflix)

whitebriar wrote: »
    Just to chime in here,I got the 42As650 from Richer and it is hands down the best tv I've had to date.
    Watched some 3D hd documentaries on U.S netflix with it last night and the 3D with the provided glasses was excellent! Birds and planes flying round the room.
    Highly recommend that panny!
    (There's no 3D section on the Irish/UK netflix)

Hi Whitebriar, thanks for the recommendation.

Can you confirm what it's like for sport especially football - any motion blurring ?

I tried to get a demo on the 40" in currys but they didn't have HD sports content :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Hi Whitebriar, thanks for the recommendation.

Can you confirm what it's like for sport especially football - any motion blurring ?

I tried to get a demo on the 40" in currys but they didn't have HD sports content :(
    I haven't watched any footy on it yet,mostly movies and on those,no fast action blurring.

• Advertisement

whitebriar wrote: »
    I haven't watched any footy on it yet,mostly movies and on those,no fast action blurring.

Thanks again. Won't be ordering until after the weekend so if you happen to watch any over the weekend please let me know :)

Guys,

Please can you give me your best total cost and also breakdown of the following as I think this is the bundle I've decided on:

1) Panasonic TX 42AS650B
    http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/pana-tx42as650b

I was quoted £599.95 for this last week but on that link it is advertised now as £499.95

2) Peerless screen cleaner
    http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/PEER-SCREEN-CLEANER

3) LG glasses - can you confirm these will work with the TV.

http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/LG-AGF310DP

4) Delivery to Dublin.

Leaving the bracket for now.

Thanks

Guys,

Please can you give me your best total cost and also breakdown of the following as I think this is the bundle I've decided on:

1) Panasonic TX 42AS650B
    http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/pana-tx42as650b

I was quoted £599.95 for this last week but on that link it is advertised now as £499.95

2) Peerless screen cleaner
    http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/PEER-SCREEN-CLEANER

3) LG glasses - can you confirm these will work with the TV.

http://m.richersounds.com/#!/product/LG-AGF310DP

4) Delivery to Dublin.

Leaving the bracket for now.

Thanks
    Hi V1,

Thanks for getting back to us.

You're right, the TV has now dropped to £499.95.  Good spot.  The screen cleaner is currently priced at £9.95.

The Panasonic TV uses passive 3D so you'll be grand with the LG glasses :)

Now looking at it the TV has been changed to an in-store only purchase :(  

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply - I called the store earlier and spoke to Stephen and have reserved one for collection on Sunday.

Cheers
    V

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply - I called the store earlier and spoke to Stephen and have reserved one for collection on Sunday.

Cheers
    V
    Hi V,

Excellent.  Glad you got sorted :)

We'll see you on Sunday.

Chris

Hi V,

We'll see you on Sunday.

Chris

Called in yesterday and collected this. Won't be able to install or set up for 2 weeks but great price and service - thanks Kenny.

Hi V,

We'll see you on Sunday.

Chris

Called in yesterday and collected this.  Won't be able to install or set up for 2 weeks but great price and service - thanks Kenny.
    Hi V1llianous.

No problem at all. 
    Glad that you are happy with your purchase and the team here at Richersounds Belfast :D

Once you get set up should you have any questions drop me a post.

Got this up on the wall on Saturday along with the soundbar.

Very impressed by the picture and sound and couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Delighted to finally have full HD working with all the bells and whistles - now to find time to look at all the features I haven't checked out yet !

Got this up on the wall on Saturday along with the soundbar.

Very impressed by the picture and sound and couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Delighted to finally have full HD working with all the bells and whistles - now to find time to look at all the features I haven't checked out yet !
    Villy,

thanks a million for taking the time to post and hope you have many years of enjoyment from your new TV!

Thanks again for the business - its much appreciated,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.