Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

back boiler want to change to boiler stove advice please

• 11-08-2014 8:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

I had posted this in the stove thread a few weeks back but got no reply on it . I have a older type grant boiler house built early eighties. It has a pump that I manually have to switch on when I light the fire and wait for the water to heat etc . I have been told it should be easy enough to add a thermostat to it etc .

My main question where I have been getting conflicting advice is in regards to changing to a cara boiler insert stove. The shop were saying no big deal remove the old boiler and the cara will attach to existing pipes . Another person has said that no its a a job that will costs thousands as all the pipes etc would have to be replaced . I want to have more of a idea before bringing a plumber out .

If this is the case I am looking at the mulberry stoker that attachs to existing boiler so to me this is more of a fire front than a stove . I would ideally like the cara boiler stove but I am wondering also from people with experience that if this is cost prohibitive is the mulberry a good back up plan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Mulberry has been mentioned a few times on this forum if you do a search you might find more info, it's similar to yolo, and Dora's fire fronts. If you have existing pipe work and it's working well on your back boiler then why would it need replacing.
    I would seek the advice of an independant plumber who has experience of stove fitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

I spoke to Mulberry today the show room is not far from me . As you have said if the boiler is working why replace . From what i understand the Mulberry is not just a fire front and the girl said today on phone it is more than this and converts the existing back boiler into a back boiler stove so this would seem like the ideal solution . I suppose i just want advice from people in the know on here as to weather this is a good option as just seems so much cheaper than replacing the whole lot to the cara etc maybe it seems too good to be true . From talking today yes it seems the ideal solution.

I have done a search but all seemed to be related to the Mulberry Stoker without the boiler etc and not related to the one that attaches to the existing boiler in place . I am going out to the showroom Saturday with pics of my fireplace and measurements . They have fitter they use to install also .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Daisy M wrote: »
    Mulberry has been mentioned a few times on this forum if you do a search you might find more info, it's similar to yolo, and Dora's fire fronts. If you have existing pipe work and it's working well on your back boiler then why would it need replacing.
    I would seek the advice of an independant plumber who has experience of stove fitting.
    +1 on getting a plumbers advice, he or she will have to seen your house first to see what's needed.
    Pipe work might have to be changed a bit. But It not a big deal.BUT important.

Quotes should be free + a nice coffee.

Thanks a million Scudo2 a friend of a friend is a plumber and i am hoping he will call to have a look . I had a stove in my last house and really miss it so looking forward to being prepared more for the winter this year .Boiler was working well in the winter last year and rads altough not piping were heating in full so i think that the stove is a good option . I have 11 rads which is a bit of a worry with the cara but will get proper advice . I am a devil for researching everything to death .

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rightontime

Hi I'm thinking of fitting a fire door fire has back boiler has anyone fitted one lately and are they successful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Is it possible(safe) to bring the feed and return over a ceiling from a stove. It's about 5 metres away and would be going to a buffer tank

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jr57

Unless the shop you buy the stove from have their own fitters that work for them then they are usually talking out of their arse. For most of the places that sell stoves they come in on a pallet and go out on one too. Whatever you do make sure the people you buy the stove from are the ones that fit it. Because if something goes wrong you won't get any help and if the people who sell the stove don't fit it then usually they know nothing about fitting besides common knowledge. And as a brand choice you can't go wrong with a Stovax

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭banham

alibab wrote: »
    I had posted this in the stove thread a few weeks back but got no reply on it . I have a older type grant boiler house built early eighties. It has a pump that I manually have to switch on when I light the fire and wait for the water to heat etc . I have been told it should be easy enough to add a thermostat to it etc .

My main question where I have been getting conflicting advice is in regards to changing to a cara boiler insert stove. The shop were saying no big deal remove the old boiler and the cara will attach to existing pipes . Another person has said that no its a a job that will costs thousands as all the pipes etc would have to be replaced . I want to have more of a idea before bringing a plumber out .

If this is the case I am looking at the mulberry stoker that attachs to existing boiler so to me this is more of a fire front than a stove . I would ideally like the cara boiler stove but I am wondering also from people with experience that if this is cost prohibitive is the mulberry a good back up plan

I had a similar set up a grant boiler with an open fire. I got a Mulberry fire front fitted 18months ago.

I am very pleased with it:

Pros:
    1.No draughts along floor
    2. living Room is a lot warmer
    3.Heats 11 rads - a lot hotter than back boiler by itself

Cons:

1. You do not get as much radiant heat into Living room ie. you do not feel a blast of heat as you would from an open fire.

Over all very cosy and I had no messing around trying to fit a stove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

banham wrote: »
    I had a similar set up a grant boiler with an open fire. I got a Mulberry fire front fitted 18months ago.

Pros:

Cons:

1. You do not get as much radiant heat into Living room ie. you do not feel a blast of heat as you would from an open fire.

Hi there could you post a link to the mulberry if possible please? Also how much did it cost including fitting?

banham wrote: »

Pros:

Cons:

Thanks so much exactly what i wanted to hear . Have decided this is the best option alround and the boiler is working well so no need to change it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭banham

Daisy M wrote: »
    Hi there could you post a link to the mulberry if possible please? Also how much did it cost including fitting?

I got the the stoker back boiler fire front fitted. The fitter came out and surveyed my fireplace. I have an Edwardian style cast iron /tiled ornate fireplace that needed some cutting and adapting and a steel back plate fitted. It took 2 men 2.5 hours to adapt and fit it. Cost all incl €1100.If you have a flat fronted fireplace of the right size it should fit easily without any adaption

Advertisement