Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

preparing for breastfeeding

Options
  • 11-08-2014 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I i have successfully fed both my children for a number of months.
    However with both of them I had extremely sore nipples despite my latch being really good.

My second was a great feeder but the soreness was still there until 10 days.

I see the multi man cream it says you can prepare your. Nipples for breastfeeding

Has anyone prepared this way was it effective?

I have just over 2 weeks to go.

I'm looking for ways to prepare

I've stocked up on lansinoh which I found was ok both times
    Multi mam balm and compresses
    I will have cabbage leaves

I've had 2 emergency c s and I'm.in.for an elective c s this time possibly my milk didn't come as quick as a vaginal birth

But my supply was not the problem

Any advice on the soreness? I'd like to avoid that teeth grinding toe curling count to ten and it's gone type of pain!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

If there was pain, especially toe curling pain, then the latch wasn't as good as you thought it was.

You can't/shouldn't try to prepare your nipples before. They don't need preparation as they're designed to be ready to feed a baby.

The best thing you can do is to be absolutely vigilant with the latch in the early days. Take the baby off if it doesn't feel right or if it's pinchy or sore. Keep the baby's tummy close to your tummy when feeding, when latching on take the breast in your hand, the underside of the areola just above the baby's upper lip and bend it backwards into the mouth.

I had awful problems latching with my second child even though I fed my first for a year. A lactation consultant told me it's a common problem to forget how to latch a newborn when you've fed older babies. I had to learn how to do it all over again and this was the easiest technique for me.

Then keep the nipples moist all the time. I found multi mam compresses amazing.

Best of luck with your soon to be new arrival :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

If there was pain, especially toe curling pain, then the latch wasn't as good as you thought it was.

You can't/shouldn't try to prepare your nipples before. They don't need preparation as they're designed to be ready to feed a baby.

The best thing you can do is to be absolutely vigilant with the latch in the early days. Take the baby off if it doesn't feel right or if it's pinchy or sore. Keep the baby's tummy close to your tummy when feeding, when latching on take the breast in your hand, the underside of the areola just above the baby's upper lip and bend it backwards into the mouth.

I had awful problems latching with my second child even though I fed my first for a year. A lactation consultant told me it's a common problem to forget how to latch a newborn when you've fed older babies. I had to learn how to do it all over again and this was the easiest technique for me.

Then keep the nipples moist all the time. I found multi mam compresses amazing.

Best of luck with your soon to be new arrival :)

Great thanks
    I had lactation consultant advice
    Said latch was perfect
    A midwife who fed her own 4 children said latch was perfect.

La leche league advice at groups and I went to a cuidi woman's house for advice
    Yes my latch was perfect.

So that's why I wanted to prepare this time. As everything went great once I got into it.
    Yes it was uncomfortable for me but once over those initial 10 days all was well.

I'm reading on the multimam balm info sheet if nipples are moist all the time this softens skin and makes it more vulnerable.
    Although I would have used the compresses in the past and lansinoh
    Ok thanks for your advise!

Do you mean that sensation of when they latch on first? Toe curling pain for me was a latch problem, which resulted in mastitis on both, but there's also that feeling when they first latch on and it lasts for about 15 seconds. I can't properly describe it but it's kind of uncomfortable initially.

I wouldn't bother keeping the nipples moist all the time if everything is going well but I definitely would if they're a little inflammed from latching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I know everyone says if your nipples are sore then the latch is wrong - and this maybe the cause for a lot of people

But I do feel the you have to break in your nipples ( like a new pair of shoes)

I found the Lilly pads great - kept nipples moist

foodaholic wrote: »
    I know everyone says if your nipples are sore then the latch is wrong - and this maybe the cause for a lot of people

But I do feel the you have to break in your nipples ( like a new pair of shoes)

I found the Lilly pads great - kept nipples moist

I invested in.help the second time around as I had no help d first time and I suffered on for 8 weeks until I then got help.
    But yes I know lots of people who say oh bf is not sore they never experienced discomfort while others like me experienced discomfort.

Yes it's that 10 -15 seconds of oh F*ck for the first few days andnights in the hospital I rang bell every time I was latching on as to be sure.
    I was blessed with an excellent midwife who spent ages with Me and had bf her own 4 children

I wanted to get off on right foot But after those 8 days everything was fine.
    So i will go again this time hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I know my lc said to me that the only one who can tell if a latch is perfect is mum: my little girl had a posterior tongue tie so even though her latch looked perfect I could feel it wasn't.

Best things I can advise is a proper fitting bra, breast pads wether your leaking or not in the first little while because they feel much softer, multi mam rather than lansinoh which I find a bit crap tbh, and as much air as possible. You need to be so careful with the latch too: even latching on once badly can cause damage and pain: so latch could be great 99% of the time but one bad latch at 3 in the morning could cause a lot of pain!

Cabbage leaves aren't reccomended anymore I think? They can reduce supply which is why they are great for engorgment but not otherwise.

Good luck :)

cyning wrote: »
    I know my lc said to me that the only one who can tell if a latch is perfect is mum: my little girl had a posterior tongue tie so even though her latch looked perfect I could feel it wasn't.

Best things I can advise is a proper fitting bra, breast pads wether your leaking or not in the first little while because they feel much softer, multi mam rather than lansinoh which I find a bit crap tbh, and as much air as possible. You need to be so careful with the latch too: even latching on once badly can cause damage and pain: so latch could be great 99% of the time but one bad latch at 3 in the morning could cause a lot of pain!

Cabbage leaves aren't reccomended anymore I think? They can reduce supply which is why they are great for engorgment but not otherwise.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the adviceYes once home from hospital I've stripped off let air circulate.

I have never tried the Lilly pads. I can always get them.
    But yes I have breast pads and always wear the bras once milk comes in apart from the time I'm letting air circulate.

Possibly my first damaged my nipples somehow and maybe why I experience pain on.second?

Not sure just a thought.

Oh well thanks for that time will tell!

It was a couple of late night/early morning bad latches that caused all the problems for me the second time around. It's so hard when it's 2am and you're totally exhausted. After that I found a half propped up/half lying down position with pillows under both arms so I could feed her and get a good latch but still fall asleep straight after. It's all the faffing around trying to sit up in bed, use pillows, cushions etc and get the baby latched on that I dreaded.

It was a couple of late night/early morning bad latches that caused all the problems for me the second time around. It's so hard when it's 2am and you're totally exhausted. After that I found a half propped up/half lying down position with pillows under both arms so I could feed her and get a good latch but still fall asleep straight after. It's all the faffing around trying to sit up in bed, use pillows, cushions etc and get the baby latched on that I dreaded.

You know what possibly I never got it 100 % with my first and I.slightly damaged myself somehow.

I could never ever feed my first lying down.
    I wish I could as it would have helped me rest great. Possibly yes a good few bad latches did the damage!

On second I had all props blankets rolled up pillows supporting us all and feeding lying down was a god send to rest d body.

No wonder breastfeeding is an art!
    Thanks for advice anyways il see how it goes with two young ones and a newborn to cope with. !

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JTormey

I was told it was normal to have that 10 seconds of pain during the first couple of weeks of BF just cos your nippple are so sensitive and need to toughen up a bit. That even with a perfect technique most women still get the pain.
    Apparently if it continues to be sore after the baby latches n (e.g. for more than 10 or seconds) then that isn't normal and you may be doing something wrong.

Afraid I have no tips on how to prepare beforehand. Just have all your things ready to minimise discomfort once the baby comes. I found lansinoh great and I used to wear those plastic nipple shield cups things (which made me look like madonna!) when my nipps were super sensitive just to protect me from banging them off anything that would cause pain.

• Advertisement

JTormey wrote: »
    I was told it was normal to have that 10 seconds of pain during the first couple of weeks of BF just cos your nippple are so sensitive and need to toughen up a bit. That even with a perfect technique most women still get the pain.
    Apparently if it continues to be sore after the baby latches n (e.g. for more than 10 or seconds) then that isn't normal and you may be doing something wrong.

Afraid I have no tips on how to prepare beforehand. Just have all your things ready to minimise discomfort once the baby comes. I found lansinoh great and I used to wear those plastic nipple shield cups things (which made me look like madonna!) when my nipps were super sensitive just to protect me from banging them off anything that would cause pain.

Ok great thank you.

I have all lotions And potions bar those libby sheild's I must check em out.

Oh I suppose I know what to expect but it's just knowing that it will ease off is the main thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sometimes I do think you need help before breastfeeding. I kinda wish it would be taken more seriously by lactation consultants when people look for help in advance.

I had problems on my first with biting, she was born with teeth emerged. Did some damage. On my second, my nipples got dry/cracked & infected during the pregnancy. Pretty badly. My gp didn't want to give me topical steroids etc (obviously, during pregnancy) so I was fairly goosed.

pwurple wrote: »
    Sometimes I do think you need help before breastfeeding. I kinda wish it would be taken more seriously by lactation consultants when people look for help in advance.

I had problems on my first with biting, she was born with teeth emerged. Did some damage. On my second, my nipples got dry/cracked & infected during the pregnancy. Pretty badly. My gp didn't want to give me topical steroids etc (obviously, during pregnancy) so I was fairly goosed.

Yes it's a tough one isn't it.
    I was just thinking maybe I might pick up a few hints /tips along the way.
    But I suppose I ain't doin too bad I suppose the worst is trying to entertain 2 other small ones and have enough milk and to eat properly!!!

pwurple wrote: »

Yes it's a tough one isn't it.
    I was just thinking maybe I might pick up a few hints /tips along the way.
    But I suppose I ain't doin too bad I suppose the worst is trying to entertain 2 other small ones and have enough milk and to eat properly!!!

Advertisement