Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads appearing in Web Browers (possible virus)

Options
  • 11-08-2014 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

I seem to have some sort of virus on my web browsers. Numerous ads are appearing on webpages (ads that should not be there). When I hover over them it says "powered by GoldenCoupon". Even just clicking on clear parts of a webpage sometimes opens a new 'ad' window. This is happening in both Chrome and IE. I done a search of programs on my laptop and found one called 'SuperManCoupon'. I uninstalled this program and rebooted but nothing changed. I cant find anything else on my machine that might be causing this. Anyone got any ideas or know how I can get rid of these ads?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

ADWCleaner should sort it. No harm running a Malwarebytes Anti Malware scan after that either

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Cheers Nick. I ran adwcleaner and have found what I think was cause the issue, Optimizer Pro. Seems this program was downloaded when I installed Filezilla a few weeks back. Anyways I cleaned out everything adwcleaner found, rebooted my machine but still Im seeing some ads. Do I need to re-install my web browsers?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Cheers Nick. I ran adwcleaner and have found what I think was cause the issue, Optimizer Pro. Seems this program was downloaded when I installed Filezilla a few weeks back. Anyways I cleaned out everything adwcleaner found, rebooted my machine but still Im seeing some ads. Do I need to re-install my web browsers?
    Try running Malwarebytes. Does it happen on all websites?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

YAC (Yet Another Cleaner) is good program to disable and delete unwanted broswer plug-ins that can cause these ads to pop up in the body text. It also checks for viruses, malware, cleans out junk files. Very clean and quick to use program, haven't had any problems since using it.

RKill is a good one for force-closing programs that continuously run so they can't be deleted by usual mean including task manager

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cubbie3798

I got the same virus 2 days ago. This is the only post I have found when trying to Google "Supermancoupon." I run Avast, and I also downloaded, updated, and ran MalWareBytes yesterday. After I rebooted, I still have the same problem.... pop-ups (even though I have pop-ups turned off in Chrome) and ads in websites that normally don't have ads (kaiser). It also appears to hijack Google search results. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Luckydog69

Had the same problem a few weeks back with a friends computer..ran a virus scan, adw cleaner,malawarebytes etc and its was still there. Just uninstall your browser ( save any bookmarks first) , uninstall with Iobit Uninstaller ( Free Program)..does a more thorough job that the built in uninstaller...and reinstall and that should sort it!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Luckydog69

Had the same problem a few weeks back with a friends computer..ran a virus scan, adw cleaner,malawarebytes etc and its was still there. Just uninstall your browser ( save any bookmarks first) , uninstall with Iobit Uninstaller ( Free Program)..does a more thorough job that the built in uninstaller...and reinstall and that should sort it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cubbie3798

Luckydog, thanks so much. I will try it as soon as I get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

You don't have a virus, you have a 3rd party extension or application installed such as a video downloader / search helper / file downloader.

Close all your browsers, run CCleaner and clear your Temp files, uninstall any newly install applications (Ask, Coupon, Toolbar etc) and check / detete (or disable if unsure) any unused or unknown extensions in Google Chrome. After this is done, it's worth using the Registry cleanup (with a backup) to remove dead entries.

CCleaner-Analyze-Cleaner.png

CCleaner-Startup.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

Have a look in programs and features and uninstall any programs you don't remember installing

• Advertisement
Advertisement