Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycle Insurance for a first timer..

• 11-08-2014 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey guys,
    I'm 20 and I've always had an interest in motorbikes since my uncle, godfather and neighbor have been riding them for years. I'm a named driver on the family car and have been on the road nearly three years now, recently I've been earning good money and I'm thinking of investing it in a motorcycle, I'm able to ride a motorcycle from my neighbor who taught me on his Mz TS 150, A friend of my godfather is looking to sell his 2000 Honda vt125 Shadow with 10,000 miles on the clock, I always loved the cruiser style and i would definitely be going down that road when I'm older, Basically I'm looking for a bike to bring me in and out of college everyday otherwise I will be depending on lifts,, My question is if I bought the Honda how much would I be looking at spending to insure the bike for a year, in the year I would probably ride about 6000 km in the year.
    Any help would be great
    Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Best thing to do is contact some insurers for a couple of actual quotes. Liberty (formerly known as Quinn Direct) have been hitherto quite good for youngsters starting off. There's also AON, Carole Nash and Adelaide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Carol nash only do 3party only insurance on 125's so you can forget about them. Quinn is usually good for starting. They gave me 972 for a cbr125r as first bike fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JoeMc94

you mentioned fully comp and third party,,, I was thinking about just going for third party, fire and theft but if you think i should ignore it why is that? Is it common for learners to get into an accident starting off, serious or not I'm just wondering because when i started in the car i was told by several people you will put a dint in the car within the first year, thankfully that didn't happen but is there anything i should expect with motorcycles?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

JoeMc94 wrote: »
    you mentioned fully comp and third party,,, I was thinking about just going for third party, fire and theft but if you think i should ignore it why is that? Is it common for learners to get into an accident starting off, serious or not I'm just wondering because when i started in the car i was told by several people you will put a dint in the car within the first year, thankfully that didn't happen but is there anything i should expect with motorcycles?

Most people end up dropping their bike at low speed when they start out. Damage will probably be nothing more than some scratches or a dent and you will escape unharmed. If your bike has crash protectors on the sides there mightn't be any damage. Don't know if it's worth getting comprehensive for a low value bike. If your bike ends up being written off, you will have bigger worries than getting cash back for your bike.

Advertisement