Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargains, Excitement and Disappointment: your opinions on this year's Horse Show

Options
  • 11-08-2014 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

SO...... how did you guys get on at this year's horse show? Was anyone here competing? Did you pick up any bargains? Did you have good/bad experiences overall?

For me: I picked up another Horseware Corrib jacket (it's been 5 years since I bought my last one, so I know they do last!), a leather hat for 30 euro (pic below) and 4 pairs of long socks for in my boots for 10 euro (the last bunch I bought have lasted really well for the last 3 years!) and a nice pair of horse shoe shaped earrings from Equestrian Jewellers (a little treat for me from me :)).

I was also on the lookout for a nice new pair of leather riding boots, but I didn't see any that didn't have laces in the front. I also discovered that a lot of boots now also have a lot of glitzy sparkling stones on them, which I'm not a fan of. I think what I'll do is get my favourite (but now sadly no longer fitting) boots extended on the calf so I can wear them again.

The biggest surprise for me was that the cost of food wasn't astronomical. For 8 euro I got a really nice burger and good chips. And on Saturday morning I got a really nice breakfast roll with a huge sausage, 2 pieces of pudding and bacon for 4.95 (I had been in by 8.20 to see the judging of the championships, so by 11am I was absolutely starving).

The staff were also much nicer and more polite since the last time I was at the show (about 3 years), so that was a positive.

Really enjoyed the Hunt Chase yesterday evening - it was hugely entertaining. However, most people around where I was sitting noticed that the barrels rounding the corner to come back for the changeover were hugely uneven, with that on the Anglesea stand side being a much shorter turn in than the Grandstand side.

I loved the Puissance, too, and it was great to see such a talented up-and-coming young rider win the Grand Prix!

This is quite similar to the hat I picked up:
    th?id=HN.608030012016888768&pid=1.7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Ooooh.... The other thing I noticed was that I didn't see any males wearing skinny jeans for the 2 days I was there! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I really wanted to get one of those hats!

I missed the Puissance unfortunately :( the Donegal game was on on Saturday too and the half 7 bus home was first come, first serve so had to leg it to get there an hour early... Seen the relay. I love that, I think the wee ponies are class! Seen the end of the Dublin Stakes too.

Spent most of the day just wandering around the place. Got a few headcollars, a few lead ropes, a hole punch, a pair of gloves and one of those caps that horseware were giving out. I agree with the food too, they weren't crazy price and the place I got food in Simmonscourt gave out good portions too. Of course, then when I got food and my hands were full, the tri bag I was carrying had to burst and spill everything everywhere! Some nice man and two girls helped pick everything up which was lovely of them and I marched to the Amino shop to get another bag :P That was really the most eventful thing that happened.

I also met my friend who I haven't seen in months because he has been working in a yard. He'd lost a crazy amount of weight and did not look one bit healthy. Kept trying to offer him food at every stall we past because I felt bad...

On the skinny jeans, I seen one guy but he was standing outside, asking for fags. He was about 12 so everyone was refusing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I had a really great time this year! I got a cooler rug, a leather headcollar, fetlock boots and two full numnahs for under €100 - really happy with that haul!

Overall the atmosphere was great, I really enjoyed the working hunter classes this year, the fences were much more interesting and varied than in previous years! And as always, I loved the 128/International Rider pairs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

Thought it was much better this year. Way more food choices, and much cheaper than before with less queues.

Few good bargains as well, didn't see many last year. There seemed to be a load more free samples as well, which was good. Only spent about 70 euro but came out with two bag fulls of stuff, got a good few freebies!

where were the sellers with strawberry and chocolate tubs tho - always got them there and didn't see any this year :(

paddi22 wrote: »

where were the sellers with strawberry and chocolate tubs tho - always got them there and didn't see any this year :(

They were underneath the grand stand, two stands down from the crepe place :p

Another disappointment was that the weather was giving bad, so I didn't take my camera :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

sup_dude wrote: »
    They were underneath the grand stand, two stands down from the crepe place :p

(

NOOOO!!! don't tell me they were there! i was gasping for a bit of choccy strawberry all week!!

Just found this on the Dublin Horse Show Facebook page, looks great craic!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152190814591433&set=vb.89284991432&type=2&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭fits

^ Cheers. I was wondering who had been riding for the Kildares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Have to say really enjoyed it this year - we went in for the week, early starts most days..
    Favourite classes were Side Saddle ( loved the running commentary - really interesting ) ... also thought working hunter classes were great as were the Connie classes.

Delighted with my bargins! Picked up an amazing Pessoa Canela SJ jacket which retails for close on €300 for €50 - also picked up a really nice casual Joules jacket which retails for about €160 for 50 euro...
    Also got fab Le Mieux sport saddle pad for €39

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

We all enjoyed it this year too, even with the weather. Only got up sunday but it was worth it. Got some great bargains with boots for the kids and the usual head collars / whips etc to keep them happy. Some great jumping and what a fantastic hunt chase to finish it off.
    I'll upload some photos to the photos thread as soon as i get a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

paddi22 wrote: »
    NOOOO!!! don't tell me they were there! i was gasping for a bit of choccy strawberry all week!!

argh me too I was having withdrawals I thought they were not there :( usually they go around selling them and there was no one doing that. I did get a nice crepe though!

In terms of shopping I got what I went looking for including some nice gloves (2 pairs for €18), a showerproof jacket in horseware for €30 and field boots in homestead. Also rep-laced my jod boots ive had for years at the tuffa stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

I actually thought there was a load of stands missing! There was two big ones in Simmonscourt - Ayr Equestrian & Equiport & a smaller one, Tack Shack. In the main hall & the surrounding doors there was loads of stands not there either :(

I still had a great shopping trip & got some good deals/bargains but I found in 20 minutes I had all the stands done :(

I actually had a problem finding a decent lunge rope - came home with none! Was a bit shocked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Was not there myself this yr but I'm wondering which days do people think you can get the best bargains. If there is any days?

I've been there on different days over the yrs got great bargains but is there any particular day?
    Or is it just luck!

monflat wrote: »
    Was not there myself this yr but I'm wondering which days do people think you can get the best bargains. If there is any days?

I've been there on different days over the yrs got great bargains but is there any particular day?
    Or is it just luck!

It depends. If you're looking for something in particular, it's just luck and going around all the stalls for the best value. If you're not looking for anything in particular, just looking for a bargain, Sunday evening is your best bet. There's just less stock on Sunday, so if you are looking for something, it might be gone.

Advertisement