Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne in September

Options
  • 11-08-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

Hi!

My friend and I arrive in Melbourne in September. We are staying at her sisters for the first few days to find out feet.

I don't know what the plan is, find a job first, find a place to live first? I'm clueless, I've never had to do this before and I don't want to be stressed out when I get there. :)

Any tips are welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

Arriving myself on the 25th of October with my girlfriend!

gonna book a hostel for a few days/ a week !

In the same boat as yourself whether to look for work or a apartment.

I think I'll look for a job first though it's always good to ahve money coming in rather than spending it!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Brois

Hi Guys,

Some advice from what we have experienced;

Hostels are fairly expensive (and in general, pretty rubbish) and a few weeks of that will be a drain on funds.

Start the search for a place to live a few weeks out from arriving. Arrange a few viewings if you can within a few days of landing. Depending on the time of year it can be pretty hard to find a decent place to live. I'm assuming you won't want to be taking a lease on a place? If you do, you'll need job references etc as they'll need to know you have dependable income etc etc.
    If you are looking for a flatshare arrangement there are heaps of resources to help you.
    I'd suggest:

www. flatmatefinders.com.au
    (Really handy site if you are looking for a good match for people to live with etc)

www. flatmates.com.au
    (Theres the odd nice place up here, but you have to pay to join etc so it's not ideal)

www. gumtree.com.au
    (Free ad's so maybe put a wanted ad up about yerselves looking for a place...also have a browse there for places to rent etc)

On the jobs front; again start your search early. Sydney would move alot quicker than Melbourne jobwise so it could take a while to get going. Depends on the industry you work in?

What line of work are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

Thanks for the very in-depth review really looking forward to things now !

I'm currently working for quite a large company in Dublin and have 3 years Customer Service and Events experience so will be looking for office work once I get over

Advertisement