Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I'm also still confused on putting the cellphone, keys etc into the mailbox and not carrying them into the house. What's that about?
    I would assume that Chuck has developed a phobia of electro-magnetism. I think there's some debate whether this is purely psychological or that sufferers do have physical symptoms.

That is why Chuck was so scared and repulsed when he found Saul's phone, why he doesn't have normal lighting or items like a tv in his house and why he compensated the morning after the "phone incident" by wearing a space blanket.

I don't know whether he is sick with a disease like cancer and has responded to the stress by developing this phobia or if he is otherwise healthy and this condition has worsened over time to the point where he feels uncomfortable going outside.

Basically, he responds with the same level of fear to things that emit an electro-magnetic signal as we would if we found out we were in a room with high levels of carbon monoxide. There was a nice little nod to it the flashback where Chuck went to visit
    Saul in jail. He put his stuff in the little cubby to be kept by the prison officer. It's like his own home has now become a prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Electromagnetic fields he hates and is trying to avoid

Some sort of breakdown is possible, or even some sort of court case and his phones were getting tapped that triggered something? All guesswork atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

-=al=- wrote: »
    Well, it might move him out of the Salon! I think this could be the start of his rise to the top :pac: With many hilarious setbacks on the way, no doubt.
    BB spoiler question about the nail salon
    Is the same nail salon that Saul gave to Jesse in BB so Jesse could launder his money?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

BB spoiler question about the nail salon
    Is the same nail salon that Saul gave to Jesse in BB so Jesse could launder his money?
    Right next door to his office. Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't know if ye are aware that Vince Gilligan and co. do an insider Podcast for each episode. Here are a few interesting facts about Episode 3.

1. All of this season’s episode titles end with –o.

2. The scene after the teaser, in which Jimmy calls Kim in the middle of the night, was Rhea Seehorn’s audition scene.

3. In the original script, Mike was supposed to read For Whom the Bell Tolls in his booth rather than doing the crossword puzzle, but the producers couldn’t get the rights to the title.

4. The window where Jimmy gets paid is in the same hallway *BB spoiler*
    where Hank got Walt out of trouble after he got arrested in Breaking Bad 302, “Caballo Sin Nombre.”

5. Nacho slapping the table in the jail was improvised by Michael Mando.

I'm glad to read that no. 5 was improvised coz I nearly shat myself with the fright it gave me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I don't know if ye are aware that Vince Gilligan and co. do an insider Podcast for each episode.

:eek: Link?!?

Custardpi wrote: »
    :eek: Link?!?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/better-call-saul-insider-podcast/id966297954?mt=2

I don't listen to them myself but a blog on tumblr tends to bullet point it for easy reading and it's interesting!

Requires Itunes, think I'll leave it so. Thanks anyway.

I found them on youtube! They are freaking long! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Just thinking about episode 3 again, Is the court house and the Police department in the same building, or do they share a parking lot, or was nacho being held in a court house cell?. It would be unusual for the two to be so close together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

Mars Bar wrote: »
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/better-call-saul-insider-podcast/id966297954?mt=2

I don't listen to them myself but a blog on tumblr tends to bullet point it for easy reading and it's interesting!

http://movietouch.sony.com.edgesuite.net/podcasts/better_call_saul_v1/better_call_saul_insider_podcast.xml

RSS feed for us non-Itunes listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

'Podcast Republic' for Android, can download any podcasts straight to your phone.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    So do we know yet what the deal with the older brother is?
    Obviously he's sick in some way but seems to be blissfully unaware of his situation and expects/hopes to get better. He also seems unaware of Jimmy's situation and seems to think everything is hunky dory.

Whatever the issue is Jimmy/Saul doesn't seem to want to fill him in on the big picture. I guess this back story will get teased out over future episodes but just checking that I didn't miss anything obvious.

The impression I get is that Charlie has had some kind of breakdown and Jimmy is trying to keep things together for him while also spending any penny he has on Charlie.

I'm also still confused on putting the cellphone, keys etc into the mailbox and not carrying them into the house. What's that about? :confused:

Still, after a slow enough pilot the last two episodes have picked up nicely with the "Hello Johnny" moment being the highlight so far. :D

"Hello Johnny" doesn't quiet have the same ring to it as "here's johnny" Lol, but would probably create a lot more tension as it would be unclear if the person saying it made a mistake or was actually nuts :-).

At first I thought Chuck must have cancer and his fear of phones and other devices was a logical one but after ep 2 I'm leaning towards a mental break down.

Edit: this is just speculation but it could be that there was a Mrs Chuck, and she died from cancer which lead to the state he's in now. He also seems to be doing research into the connection between electrical devices and cancer which could mean he's attempting in his madness to make a case against these electronic company's.

McKean's interview says it's a mental illness he has. IIRC, he describes it as a "psycho-physical" illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Dunno if ye lads/ladettes saw it in todays Sun but in the interview with Bob Odenkirk he says we're getting a full episode about Mike which is "dark, dark, dark".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

den87 wrote: »
    Dunno if ye lads/ladettes saw it in todays Sun but in the interview with Bob Odenkirk he says we're getting a full episode about Mike which is "dark, dark, dark".

Damn, there goes my theory that Mike is actually Papa Smurf in disguise.
    Seriously, excellent news.

Brilliant, I actually think a full series about Mike's back story would be pretty good, possibly even better than BCS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Almost forgot bout Saul's "sexy robot voice" :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Am I the only one that's not overwhelmed with this?

It's alright like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

It's alright like...

I thought the first 2 were only ok and the third better but am not longing for next week so much as I will just watch it in case I see a spoiler that I wish I hadn't.

was afraid to say anything til someone else did though!

I thought the first 2 were only ok and the third better but am not longing for next week so much as I will just watch it in case I see a spoiler that I wish I hadn't.

was afraid to say anything til someone else did though!

I think the main appeal for most is that it's back in the Breaking Bad universe with all the familiar faces and that may make people a little biased towards it.

Having said that I was still happy with the first 3 episodes, and I have faith in Vince Gilligan that it will meet if not exceed the standards set by Breaking Bad.
    I'm even seeing subtle touches like the camera angles and music bear a resemblance to Breaking Bad and it makes you appreciate them more I think.

Magnate wrote: »
    I think the main appeal for most is that it's back in the Breaking Bad universe with all the familiar faces and that may make people a little biased towards it.

Having said that I was still happy with the first 3 episodes, and I have faith in Vince Gilligan that it will meet if not exceed the standards set by Breaking Bad.
    I'm even seeing subtle touches like the camera angles and music bear a resemblance to Breaking Bad and it makes you appreciate them more I think.

I would be very surprised if it turns out to b as good as bb. As entertaining as Saul/Jimmy is he is no Walter White/Hizenberg.

I would be very surprised if it turns out to b as good as bb. As entertaining as Saul/Jimmy is he is no Walter White/Hizenberg.

I think it's going to be good for different reasons. It was never intended to be a copy of Breaking Bad. Gilligan was smart enough to stop after 5 seasons despite huge pressure from networks in an attempt to stop it from going downhill slowly, he knows what he's doing ;)

Magnate wrote: »
    I think it's going to be good for different reasons. It was never intended to be a copy of Breaking Bad. Gilligan was smart enough to stop after 5 seasons despite huge pressure from networks in an attempt to stop it from going downhill slowly, he knows what he's doing ;)

One of the main difference I see with it so far is BCS is alot more light hearted which is no surprise as its main character is very comical in comparison. It just means there is less chance the show will be taken seriously IMO.

One of the main difference I see with it so far is BCS is alot more light hearted which is no surprise as its main character is very comical in comparison. It just means there is less chance the show will be taken seriously IMO.

Yeah it's still early days though, only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I kinda like the vibe of it there is s some comedic moments but it never goes to far to stray away from the show.. It's done quite well
    The scene were he was bargaining with Tuco went form being hilarious to nasty very quick

It's a good all rounder and of course it helps we can relate to some of the characters from bb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

It's alright like...

Same, it's pretty good, but I'm not close to hooked or gripped yet. Will give it a chance though.

I do find that BB fans on boards.ie tend to be a tad uncritical (I loved BB but it had its problems) and that is extending to Better Call Saul, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

The first few episodes of BB bored the ****e out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the premise isn't as big nor shocking, especially as we know how it will end up, which we didn't on BB

BB was “Mr. Chips to Scarface,” this is "Lawyer to Crimnal Lawyer"

Advertisement