Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Still love the show and thought the latest episode was very good (as has been the whole season), though the lack of non-BB related adversity for Jimmy is sorely missing this season.

My main hope though, is simply that they don't draw the show out too much - BB got it just right, and I hope BCS follows suit and knows when, and how, to call it quits.

Would love if there was an episode devoted to Jimmy post-BB that expands on the flash-forwards.

On this.

I was under the impression that BCS will pickup AFTER BB at some point? We’ve the flash forward to jimmy ringing the vacuum guy and later at Cinnabon.

I’d always assumed we would be taken right up to the point of the start of B.B. then maybe get a few episodes after B.B. ends.

Did I make that up or read it somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

On this.

I was under the impression that BCS will pickup AFTER BB at some point? We’ve the flash forward to jimmy ringing the vacuum guy and later at Cinnabon.

I’d always assumed we would be taken right up to the point of the start of B.B. then maybe get a few episodes after B.B. ends.

Don't think that has been said but there was a fairly open plan before production started that even though the show is a prequel they could use any timeframe before, during or after Breaking Bad.

Which to be fair they have done but only in a few scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

On this.

No, you didn't make it up.. Gilligan was interviewed a week or two ago and he teased that out...

So, we'll have seen Slippin' Jimmy to James Mc Gill to Jimmy Mc Gill, and are about to morph into full- on Saul Goodman then from Saul in the Vacuum Cleaner Repairman's cellar to Gene whatever and he'll end it there... Probably one more season to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Collie D wrote: »
    Don't think that has been said but there was a fairly open plan before production started that even though the show is a prequel they could use any timeframe before, during or after Breaking Bad.

Which to be fair they have done but only in a few scenes

That rings a bell alright. I’m loving the post B.B. scenes. I hope we see more and more of them. Saul is one of the big mysteries the B.B. finale.

I'd actually like them to do an episode even further back to trace Gus' backstory.
    The DEA could find no record of him prior to moving to Mexico and IIRC the Mexican cartel said the only reason he didn't kill him with Max is because he knew who he was in Chile.

Not sure if I've to spoiler anything with BB info. I know most have seen it but there are a few posters who've mentioned they haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭BandMember

Collie D wrote: »
    I'd actually like them to do an episode even further back to trace Gus' backstory.
    The DEA could find no record of him prior to moving to Mexico and IIRC the Mexican cartel said the only reason he didn't kill him with Max is because he knew who he was in Chile.

Not sure if I've to spoiler anything with BB info. I know most have seen it but there are a few posters who've mentioned they haven't.

That's something that I would love to see them clear up too, so fingers crossed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

BandMember wrote: »
    That's something that I would love to see them clear up too, so fingers crossed! :D

One of the main reasons I am still watching in the hope that they will do a Gus centred episode - flashbacks etc

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

One of the main reasons I am still watching in the home that they will do a Gus centred episode - flashbacks etc

I reckon they more or less exhausted that in BB, what with the flashbacks to the Military Junta in Chile etc., before Gus took the poison, as well as the killing of Gus's friend/brother (I've forgotten) by Hector and the crazies around the pool in Mehiko....

Really lost interest in this recently. It lost a few interesting threads with Chuck and his office leaving. Replaced by stories with an obvious shelf life. We know what happens to Hector from here. The lab will be built. I never thought I'd be bored at a scene with Gus Fring but here it is. I used to watch this as soon as it was it out. The Deuce is far superior at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I reckon they more or less exhausted that in BB, what with the flashbacks to the Military Junta in Chile etc., before Gus took the poison, as well as the killing of Gus's friend/brother (I've forgotten) by Hector and the crazies around the pool in Mehiko....

There is still very little info on Gus, esp. why the cartel are seemingly scared to kill him. Even the wiki page has this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_Fring
    Gilligan has stated that he purposely left Gus's origin ambiguous, comparing it to the briefcase in Pulp Fiction.
    Q.
    And yet the show this season started to flesh out Gus’s back story, though it didn’t do so completely. Are there threads you might come back to later, or was that a deliberate choice to leave some things about him ambiguous?

A.
    Right on both counts. We may come back to it in the future. As I told Giancarlo Esposito, and I told him a few months ahead of time what we were planning for the end of the season, I was very apologetic that we were going to lose his character. But I also hastened to point out that even though characters may die on “Breaking Bad,” they don’t necessarily rest in peace. In other words, we flash back in time quite often on this show, and we revisit old characters who have already met their demise. And because of that, who knows? We may well see Gustavo Fring again in the future.

But as to the second point, we talked a long time, my writers and I, about what exactly was Gus’s back story? How bad a dude did he have to have been, back in Chile, for the cartel to spare him, even though they were very insulted by his actions? And we went back and forth, we talked about Pinochet and his government, what did he do back there, precisely? And we borrowed a bit from “Pulp Fiction,” I suppose. Because in “Pulp Fiction,” Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta are carrying around a briefcase, for the entire movie, that the contents of which are only hinted at. At one point, you see a glow emanating from inside the briefcase, but you never do find out for sure what it’s in it. And I always liked that, as a viewer. To me, the audience’s imagination as to who Gus was in his past life is potentially more interesting than any concrete answer we could give them.

People are moaning about how slow BCS is, how they drag out episodes, so I think it is certainly plausible they could have a "gus centered episode" of flashbacks -or at least a lot more of them throughout episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Henryhill2

It's the mystery that makes Gus interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Coming soon.... Better Call Gus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Staplor wrote: »
    Coming soon.... Better Call Gus

Gus's Famous Fried Chicken?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gus's Famous Fried Chicken?

15-6-saledart-breaking-bad-los-pollos-hermanos-gustavo-gus-fring-original-imae6hqe63bjmhgw.jpeg?q=70

I found this youtube channel with loads of videos on various tv programs, there are ads just after the start and at the end but otherwise they are a pretty good watch.

Here are several other BB characters on it, the Gus one is new and goes into BCS episodes.

I think this might sum up the recently stated opinions on the current season:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really don’t get the complaints about the show this season or any other.

If you read through the BB threads you will see the same was said about that show. It’s just impossible to please all people.

I remember many people just found many episodes to be boring or just filler. “The Fly” was one which did not progress the storyline but was fascinating as it showed Walt’s mental state and impact on others but was not good enough for many.

Then when an episode features a shooting incident or McGyver style train heist then people start shouting “BB is back”, “That was better”, etc.

I find both BB and BCS have never been in a rush. It’s all about the journey. Characters are developed, back stories are given, small details shown , musical montages are cleverly used and these scenes should just be enjoyed for what they are and how they are executed rather than having to contribute to an ultimate climax or destination.

This season, after Chuck’s death, has been fascinating for me. We can see how Jimmy is becoming Saul but we still don’t know how he gets there.

We can see how Gus is on his way to becoming the main man but we don’t know how he does it all yet.

We know that Mike will become the head honcho for Gus but we don’t know fully how he achieved it and we also know more about the sadness in his life that makes him the grumpy and morose character in BB that we all enjoyed.

I genuinely don’t understand why people can’t just enjoy the journey they are in, appreciate the subtleties of the characters, the beautiful cinematography and slick presentation (without going all arty-farty).

For me it’s by far the best TV series over the last few years and is a fascinating insight into the BB world and there are still plenty of stories to be told.

Just enjoy it as you’ll miss it when it’s gone and reached the start of BB that many seem to be in a rush to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I f*cking LOVE this show!!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I f*cking LOVE this show!!!!

So do I.

I can see why people don't like it, but I just mainly see how i love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I just gave myself a sneaky 20min preview at lunchtime in work .... ahhh!!! Can't wait to get home, get the kids in bed and continue this.

Love the opening scene to Louisiana!!

Why's is Kim doing all this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Such a good episode. If
    Kim is "IN" now, then I fear the worst for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭BandMember

Well well well..............who saw that one coming then???? Certainly nobody on this thread anyway! :pac:

I had posted a number of times that I had a feeling
    Kim's story might not be done and that she could remain on (possibly even in the background through the BB era as there was plenty of space to develop that plot/story)
    , looks like it could go that way now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Kim is confounding me with her actions and it comes across as pure self sabotaging.
    The start of this seems to be when she witnessed Jimmy's "turn around" after Howard admitted guilt for Chucks death. You can clearly see it affected her. She was shocked that Jimmy went from sad to himself in a split second.

After that she started to distance herself from Jimmy and took actions that blatantly worked against Jimmy.

Then she does a 180' on what I think is her consciousness and is going back to playing "Slippin' Kim"

That broad be crazy.

She is setting herself up for failure but to what end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Have a feeling Kim will get really mixed up in Saul's more corrupt side

Like others I wasn't a fan of the previous episode Something Stupid (probably the only episode I didn't enjoy) and was hoping they'd just get the whole Kim story done with but that has just dragged me back in.

Also looks like we could have another interesting new character/storyline in Edouardo. Good to see Nacho again after a few episodes.

Love how this show opens up loads of possibilities and speculation even though we all know where it ends.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Have a feeling Kim will get really mixed up in Saul's more corrupt side

Yeah they will mix it with some Mesa Verde stuff no doubt.
    Living on the edge is the spice for Kim now, helping the downtrodden by bending the rules.
    I enjoyed the episode.
    The montages made sense (not over egged had a point) there was a nice flow to the episode no filler.
    More revealed about Mike - his father was not there and he is embarrassed about what he has turned into.
    I think the building saga is coming to the point where Mike will have to reluctantly kill all the German workers, once the work is complete. (No half measures as they say in BB)
    The Nacho scenes were good as well, well shot plenty of tension
    I might be reading too much into it, but the way Kevin said to Paige 'You were right this time'.
    Did that imply that Kim previously showed a can do attitude and tried to see if everything was possible?
    Now she is not bothered with it and going through the motions?

The whole episode proved to me how a lot of the last two episodes could have been cut or merged into the one episode.
    If people missed the last two episodes they would not have been too lost in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I swear I freakin thought it was gonna be Tuco!!!

Also, now I'm half thinking Kims gonna be turning into some huge mastermind.

I also forgot to mention Jimmy's bit with all the phones and the students.
    It was gas, added much needed lightheartedness to it.
    The fact I forgot to mention it, shows how many good bits in this episode there were.
    And to think I was not looking forward to watching it even though I saw the promo/preview.
    To be honest I was afraid they would ruin the show again, with another poor/pointless episode.
    How wrong I was!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I burst out laughing when I saw Huell in the church choir and painting the fence, great stuff.

• Advertisement

Zero chemistry between Jimmy and Kim

In the real world she would ditch him

Advertisement